All reviews helford river hot tub jacket and tie dress code for dinner health spa swimming pool hole golf course superior room tennis courts snooker room signature room table tennis glendurgan gardens superb food hotel grounds relaxing stay self catering
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is our first holiday in Cornwall and we were looking for something special. This hotel is certainly special, the staff were very attentive and the food was wonderful. We are a couple in our 50's and have stayed in many luxury hotels all over the world and the service and care we found at the Budock Vean was outstanding. If you are looking for good food and service this is the place to go. There is alot to see and do in this area if you like walking,gardens and golf as it has it's own golf course. We shall certainly return!!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking gardens and golf course
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We are a young couple in our early 20's, and wanted to enjoy a really special 4 star weekend. We had the most fantastic time staying at this hotel. The service and food were second to none. You would have to go a long way to find the service and friendliess that we experienced at this hotel. All the staff through out the hotel were fantastic and friendly. Given that the guests were generally older, the hotel caters for the younger generation as well, there is so much to do and see, as it is in a beautiful location. Our every need was met by the staff and we will be returning again with a group of friends this year.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This hotel is in a lovely location and has the capacity to be special - but really fails to come up to scratch. It has a faded facade and needs a major facelift - rooms, and public areas. There is a pretence by staff of being polite to guests but with the exception of a few special individuals, many at reception and in the dinning room were uninterested in offering a smile but experts in the their performed cliches. Struggling down with luggage from the top floor I was then infomed there was a porter...too late.
Service in the restaurant was poor and rushed. Woe betide you if you did not select your choice from the menu in 30 seconds flat. Again tired cliches were the order of the day lacking any sincerity and smiles were reserved for " regular guests". Although in my fifties I was one of the youngest visitors staying at the hotel and quite amazed at the old fashioned notion of being "required" to wear a tie and jacket in the bar and restaurant. This is a hotel from a different era - and unfamiliar with how people 55 and under live today. The food was disappointing - at breakfast the orange juice was fermented and the croissants were beyond stale and totally rock hard. The bakery bread was the worst I have tasted in a long time - I choose brown bread and was give a roll that had a single brown grain in it and lots of salt; not nice.
The swimming pool was warm and very pleasant and the hotel has some great views and walks. Beware the golf course though and the buggies driven round rather wildley which sadly are gouging out the fairways!
In summary, the hotel had no basis for charging the extremely high price £215 perperson as it offers little in return. I noted no guests younger than I am and would not feel able to take my grown up children here for fear they thought they were in a museum where strange costume was essential to be allowed a drink or an evening meal. Best avoided by anyone young in outlook or in age!

Room Tip: Avoid the ones used for dogs if you are not a dog lover yourself
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank shyHampshire
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband & I have stayed at this Hotel a few times and we throughly our stay yet again. The staff, food and Hotel is fantastic I would recommend this Hotel to anybody who likes to get away from it all. If you walk through the gardens you will end up by the Heleford River absolute bliss, it is so relaxing. Also the hotel offers massages, facial treatments well worth a try.

Penny & Jim

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Stayed for 2 nights. No doubt an externally beautiful hotel – with fantastic access to walks and marvellous countryside/gardens. I’m not a golfer – but the course looked very good. Criticisms mainly because the stay costs £200 a night – which means that the hotel must be more than externally good. Room large and pretty clean. Breakfast was fine. However – bathroom was very tired – reminded me of my parents’ bathroom circa 1980 – nothing special– usual boring soap etc. Mattress had a bit of double dip and extractor fan was not clean. Dining area was all in yellow (!) – very boring continental breakfast buffet – no cheese /ham slices, boring bread, sale croissant. A lot of staff taking individual orders for cooked breakfast which seems very inefficient – why not provide an outstanding buffet? – owners could take inspiration from any reasonable Austrian ski hotel. Some of the audible chat amongst reception staff indicated to me that the owners are not aroudn too often. A lot of older (regulars?) who probably don’t mind. Overall – wonderful position – but expensive - nothing that a bit of internal investment would not cure.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family