“Excellent spa retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent spa retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Just back from a two-day spa break at this wonderful location on the Helford River. We booked last minute and prices for the Runaway Retreat were so reasonable we expected something quite average saved by the scenery. We found instead a gem of a hotel with helpful and friendly staff, excellent food and spa therapists who really knew what they were doing. Certainly among the best treatments we've ever had - and we're experts! Yes, the atmosphere is a little old fashioned = certainly a perfect setting for an Agatha Christie - but we enjoyed dressing up for dinner after a coast walk, a good swim in the pool which looks out over the gardens and golf course, and a steam in the sauna and outdoor hot tub. The four course dinner was light enough for us to do it justice and our rooms were spotless, well decorated, spacious and very well serviced. We'll certainly be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BudockVeanHotel, Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review. I will make sure the Spa team receive your glowing comments.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Cirencester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

If, sadly, you have never read of the exploits of Bertie Wooster and his gentleman's personal gentleman Jeeves written by the sublime P G Wodehouse then this will mean nothing to you.

Madam and I were in need of a break so a little rootling around unearthed a hotel in Cornwall on the River Helford with a swimming pool. A telephone call to the helpful Reception people secured a three day break with dinner, bed and breakfast and I was just about to pledge quantities of the green stuff when a respectful johnnie at the other said "You are required to wear a jacket and tie at dinner, sir". I don't mind telling you I was thrown for a moment. I mean to say one expects to dress for dinner in the home counties and Gloucestershire but in the Celtic fringe?
So I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do in the circs - I rang Jeeves. Of course he is no longer my man, having retired to a cottage in Tunbridge Wells but I still consult him on sartorial matters, what the well-dressed man about town is wearing etc.

" I hope I am not disturbing you, Jeeves" I said brightly. "Not at all,sir. It is my custom to read Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus at this time of the fore-noon but if I may be of assistance I will happily put that engaging work aside." I explained the posish and craved advice and volunteered that I had planned to wear a purple sweater and corduroy slacks. "The purple sweater would be ill-advised, sir" "But the lads in the Drones Club have asked me where I bought it, Jeeves" "Possibly so that they could avoid the emporium in question at all costs, sir" "Well I have a rather cheerful bright green bow tie" The shudder in Jeeves voice was almost palpable. "A conventional tie,sir, avoiding a Windsor knot, of a quiet shade, with a blazer or a heather mixture jacket would be acceptable should more formal attire not be required" "With the Old Etonian socks I bought a while ago, Jeeves?" "Most decidedly not,sir. You may recall that I gave them to the porter at the flats in 1970 just before your marriage to Mrs Wooster. Will that be all, sir?" "That will be all, thank you Jeeves. Most grateful and all that rot" "One endeavours to give satisfaction,sir"

Somewhat chastened I packed quantities of ties and subfusc and we tootled down to Cornwall in the four-seater. The hotel lay down a longish drive with hydrangeas still in bloom. Everything from then on was absolutely ooh jah cum spliff. Helpful johnnies positively clustered around whisking the baggages up to a very decent Room 51 which looked out over gardens of which Aunts Agatha at her most critical would approve. The staff all reminded me of good old Jeeves in a way which almost brought tears to my eyes. They were all so jolly helpful and unobtrusive and materialised at just the right moment.

Whilst madam took herself for a swim at the spa, which she pronounced very adequate, I donned waterproofs and boots and pottered down to the river which contained a good selection of local boats bobbing away: not anything the size of Aunt Dahlia's yacht, you understand, but jolly picturesque.

Then the sluicing and browsing commenced with a cream tea which set us up to mangle an excellent four course dinner. Waiters and waitresses all buzzed around jolly effectively and we were surprised to find that they were not from Eastern Europe working over here to get enough money to study for their second or third degree or what not but good sturdy locals. All the excellent fodder was also local. We were delighted to find that our fellow diners were of, shall we say mature years. The eighteen year granddaughter of some coves on a nearby table walked in and lowered the average age by decades and raised the average ladies' skirt height by several feet.

Gosh, nearly forgot to say that they have this thing called WiFi here. In the old days Jeeves would simply shimmer in with the odd telegram on a silver salver. So all jolly well up to date. In fact the whole experience was the cat's pyjamas.

Room Tip: The corner new block rooms are good as they have windows on two corners overlooking the gardens. Do...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohanSebastian
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Budock Vean. We hope you will visit us again.

With very best wishes,
Bideford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a 2 night much needed break. We were upgraded to a superior room on arrival which was a pleasant surprise. However this was short lived when we found our room to be greeted with a very tired decor, a bathroom that provided a bath which should have been replaced a long time ago along with the sink due to damage to the enamel. The heated towel rail did not work, and the toilet did not flush adequately.
The bathroom had hairs on the floor from previous guests and the bedroom was quite dusty with the odd peanut thrown in for good measure under the dressing table!
The towels were far from a what you would expect for a 4 star hotel.
On the plus side the food at this hotel was excellent, although we found that the courses were delivered too quickly, we had 3 courses and on both evenings these were served and consumed within 45 minutes. The staff seemed to be intent on getting you in and out of the dining room as quickly as possible and the same was experienced at breakfast time.
We were very disappointed with this hotel as we have stayed at the sister hotel Treglos near Padstow and had a wonderful experience there and cannot wait to revist . Maybe the management should pay a visit to the Treglos Hotel to see how to get it right.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank greenfields_12
BudockVeanHotel, Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Budock Vean and we are extremely disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay. We are particularly concerned that areas of bedroom cleanliness were not up to our usual standard. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you direct to gain a better understanding of how we failed on this occasion. If you are willing to do this please drop me an email at management@budockvean.co.uk.

We are pleased you enjoyed the food and I will pass on your kind comments to the kitchen team.

We are also delighted that you enjoy staying at our sister hotel. We have just completed refurbishment of all three of our lounges. The lounges are only the start of a three year program of refurbishment including all our bedrooms and bathrooms.

We do hope you will consider paying us another visit, perhaps to one of our more modern bedrooms, to allow us an opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience at Budock Vean.

Kind regards

Melanie
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We are here at Budock Vene for a few days break. The rooms are big enough but so old- fashioned and tired. Bathrooms really poor. Nice touch with good large bottles of Elemis toiletries. Bed uncomfortable and room smelt of horrible air-freshener. Bars and lounges sparsely furnished and a terrible mix-mash of styles. Dinner, however, was excellent, delicious and generous. Wines very ordinary and coffee absolutely awful - in this day and age hotels MUST serve decent coffee. Gardens lovely and walks around and about lovely too. Weather ok but then it is November . Everywhere very wet but that 's hardly the hotel's fault! Swimming pool ok and had a lovely massage and about to try something else in spa... will report later! Had a really lovely Thai foot massage. Both girls I had in Spa were lovely. Staff generally very nice..

Room Tip: Have a room with a view. And if any have been redecorated recently have one of those.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank rosie052
Thank you for taking to the time to review the Budock Vean. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your bedroom. I do hope you mentioned this to our Reception team during your stay. We do have more modern bedrooms and bathrooms which may have better suited your needs.

Since your review all the lounges have been refurbished and we are delighted with their look. The Cocktail Bar is being refurbished in January. The lounges are only the start of a three year program of refurbishment including all our bedrooms and bathrooms.

The coffee we use is supplied by Cornish roasters, Origin. Their coffee is normally very popular with our guests. However, we do have other alternatives available should guests request.

We are delighted you enjoy your food and spa experience. We will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the team.
cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I spent the afternoon at the Budock yesterday (Sunday 3rd) with my daughters and daughter in law for a spa day. We arrived in the rain and left in the rain, but in between we didnt have a care in the world.
We arrived at the spa and received our vouchers for lunch and a complimentary tea/coffee. Lovely touch! Our treatments were not till later in the afternoon so we went to the bar area and took a seat. It was nice and quiet. Very relaxed. A lovely young man Joseph took our order and we were soon enjoying our teas and chatting away. Lunch was so lovely. The portions were perfect. I have to disagree with other reviews about lack of choice, there was lots to choose from. One of the girls had the cheese souffle (delicious), I opted for the salad, really really good! Two of the girls had chicken strips, a lemon mayonaise sauce to die for they said!!! I was really impressed with the bar service, both Joseph and James are an absolute credit to this hotel.
We then went back to the spa. Ok, it is not the most up to date but does that really matter?? The spa treatments were fantastic. I have been to some wonderful spa hotels and these lovely girls are right up there with the best. I had a fantastic facial which totally relaxed me for the rest of the day. The pool area is really lovely. Well designed. We were given locker keys where our towels, slippers and robes were awaiting us! Organised to perfection. We spent the entire afternoon between the pool and the outdoor hot tub. To be honest we really didnt want to leave. If you are looking for a peaceful getaway with the girls or just an afternoon swim then I would recommend this hotel. I will definitely be going back for some more yummy food and pampering.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We certainly hope to see you back again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed at Budock Vean for two days, our fifth stay at the hotel. We don't play golf, but enjoyed the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. The gardens are lovely even in October! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The food is fantastic in a lovely dining room; a reason we enjoy several short breaks at the hotel. Well worth the long drive to get there. The service is always excellent.

Room Tip: We've stayed in room three. We prefer the older part of the hotel which has more character.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a fabulous review! Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Bath UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Spent weekend here on good value break. Bottle of Champagne on arrival, scones/cake & tea, four course eve meal and coffee included. Family owned so understand would cost a lot to update but corridors, rooms in need of modernisation. Grounds lovely, golf course looked good but didn't use, spa treatment good and swimming pool & hot tub outside great. Staff quite pleasant and food EXCELLENT for eve meals. We stayed for Sun lunch but disappointing after such good eve meals. If you can ignore the tired decor and enjoy the view and food instead you will have a great time. Not for youngsters but liked dressing up for dinner and no children!!
Quiet room and great bed, clean but again bathroom could do with updating.

Room Tip: We had room 36 with view- we were upgraded on arrival. No fitness centre if want this.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the Budock Vean Hotel. We have recently completed refurbishment of one of the hotel's lounges with more work planned around the hotel for the coming months.

We do hope you will visit us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawnan Smith
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,471 reviews

Been to Budock Vean Hotel? Share your experiences!