“Wonderful weekend”

Budock Vean Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mawnan Smith
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent last weekend here with the family to celebrate my birthday- we were all impressed. Rooms very comfortable, food was wonderful, although waitress's could learn to smile. Pool and hot tub fabulous. Three of us used the spa - so relaxing great treatments. Two men went golfing and enjoyed the course.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
BudockVeanHotel, Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your weekend with us. Thank you for your very kind review.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Ok, first an admission: I can't give any feedback on the rooms as we didn't actually stay. This was a family lunch outing and afternoon using the facilities. But what I can say is...

The leisure area and pool are great. And, quite frankly, the hot tub is so hot that I think I've become infertile.

Food? Pretty darn good (though the smoked salmon and crab starter could have tasted more like a smoked salmon and crab starter, and was, instead, doused with a dressing of some sort). The beef I had was really tip-top, and everyone else was banging on about how good the Hake was. Indeed, so many people seem to have been eating this particular fish that I believe it's now on the endangered list.

Service? Very good. Friendly and polite without being starchy.

Following the meal we took a leisurely walk through the splendid gardens where we came across innumerable people sleeping on loungers. Indeed, for one moment I thought we'd gatecrashed a narcoleptics convention. This, however, only goes to show how relaxing the place is (especially when you've indulged in a large lunch and a few snifters).

A great idea is to bag a lounger by the 9th hole where you can watch people in Pringle sweaters slice shots into the shrubbery from the tee and go mental.

Would I have another lunch and mooch here again? Abso-damn-lutely.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank absenteethoughtlord

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to us. We are delighted you enjoyed your day and hope you will be back for another Swim, Nosh, Snooze day soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Superb food, fantastic location and a great find! Love the little touches, thank you very much for our Wedding Anniversary card. A must see hotel! Tranquil, (again) superb food, friendly and very reasonably priced. See you again next year!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are so glad you celebrated your special occasion with us. Congratulations again and a big thank you for this kind review.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just had a fantastic hot stone massage. It was wonderful.This week I have had two other treatments both of which were very good.

I have been on a well organised Golf and Bridge break.It included both couples and friends.The food was excellent particularly the fish. The room was large with excellent with wifi hence the review.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I will pass your comments on to the Spa team.

I hope you will visit us again soon? Perhaps the next Bridge and Golf week in October?

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Have just returned from a three day break at Budock Vean. The stars of the show are definitely the staff who were unfailingly helpful, friendly and anticipated your every need. The food was excellent at dinner with well cooked good quality local ingredients. The breakfasts were generally fine although warm croissants would have been appreciated and better quality toast. The fruit juices were definitely not freshly squeezed.
The bedrooms and bathrooms definitely could do with updating and had a tired look.Would have appreciated a fridge with fresh milk rather than UHT and better quality towels. Overall a very pleasant stay in a gorgeous location. We took full advantage of the local walks and proximity to the Helford River. Our friends enjoyed the swimming pool and hot tub. We usually stay in Wolsey Lodges which have more characterful rooms, better eqipped bedrooms and bathrooms and cost about the same so we felt the hotel lacked individuality and needed updating.

Room Tip: Superior rooms overloook the golf course.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ca922

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I will make sure the team are made aware of your very kind review.

I hope you have seen the recent photos we have posted which show the bedroom refurbishments. We do hope this will entice you to come back for another visit.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was just what we needed. My wife and I had both, ironically, spent some time in hospital two weeks before, and had already booked a break, with my elderly mother, at Budock Vean. I noticed some of the poor reviews, and the majority of good reviews. We were actually attracted by the hotels policy towards children in having separate dining times (we have four lovely grandchildren but wanted to just relax in adult company). It was also nice to have the opportunity to dine with jacket and tie along with others, ok, maybe in this day and age a bit outdated but something we valued and matched the high standard of the dining experience. There were a lot of staff and ALL very helpful. Are the rooms a bit tired?. Well they weren't ultra modern but that added to the ambience I felt. We were upgraded to the superior rooms overlooking the gardens, sure, the shower could have been a bit more modern but it provided hot water and was adequate. The rest of the room was very comfortable and, in fact, felt in tune with the age of the hotel in a positive way. I believe some of the rooms will be upgraded this year and I hope it is done tastefully and does not adversely affect the ambience of the hotel. Only slight down side was that the eco friendly nature of the hotel included a woodchip burning furnace which did blow smoke over the patio area if the wind was in the wrong direction. Oh, the dog was also welcomed (obviously not in the public areas!)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your super review. We do hope you will come and see us for another relaxing break soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I spent 2 nights and I was lucky enough to be upgraded from a standard single to what I think must have been a superior room with a huge bed that was very comfortable. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and dinner on both nights was delicious. I will definitely be going back, if only to have the cream tea again!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
BudockVeanHotel, Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you so much for writing us such a lovely review. We do hope you will be back to visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawnan Smith
#8 of 24 in Falmouth
Merchants Manor
Merchants Manor
#13 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to Budock Vean Hotel? Share your experiences!