“Best italian resto in Leuven”
Review of Piaceri d'Italia - CLOSED

Piaceri d'Italia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Great food, and excellent service, been there many times, and love it

2  Thank Artemy

Reviewed 14 September 2010

Okay, why do some people give it the maximum and others think it's terrible. I think it's rather simple. It is NOT the cosiest or coolest place in Leuven. Nor does it have the most innovative interior. And service depends very much on the season (summer being more busy so more stressful) but all in all I think the service is quite okay. This is not a Michelin ** restaurant ... However, the food IS good, really good and the price for all of it is very reasonable. Probably some people cannot see through the facade of the occasional disorganization. Fact of the matter is that if you like good food, this is definitely a good Italian in Leuven.

Reviewed 27 July 2010

We've been in the restaurant multiple times, and we've alway's had a very good meal. The owner is a real Italian and it shows.

1  Thank Azumi_Triple
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Until I read the last review, I figured they were just having an off-night when I visited Piaceri d'Italia. Now I know otherwise. I made reservations for a group of 5 on a Saturday night. The person who answered the phone did not speak Dutch or English, which is a bit unusual in Leuven, but between his bad French and my worse French we got the reservation made. When we arrived, the restaurant was busier than it usually seems to be (I live nearby and pass it regularly), but they still had plenty of empty tables.

We were able to place our drink orders quickly enough, but when the waitress brought our drinks to our table she spilled two beers down my wife's back. After that, service was nearly nonexistent. It was an hour before anybody took our food order (though admittedly that was due in part to the fact that my wife went home to change out of her soaked clothes), and after that the waitress avoided us every time we tried to get her attention. Two hours after being seated we had had a single round of drinks, and whenever we tried to ask about our food the waitress would tell us it was coming "in a few minutes" without even stopping at the table.

At that point, we paid for our drinks and left. The waitress continued to insist that our food was coming "any minute" and refused at first to give us our check. Only after one of our party appeared on the verge of making a scene did she relent.

1  Thank Sneeuwfuif
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I'll start with the positive: it is not an expensive restaurant. That said, we reserved a table for 4 on a Saturday evening at 7.30 pm. Once arrived, the restaurant wasn't packed yet, but we needed to wait at least 30 mins before we got any drinks. Ordering the drinks was a problem already as non of the people working in the restaurant speak decent Dutch/French or English... After more than an hour of waiting we asked if it was possible to order. After asking for at least 5 times, we got somebody at our table. But she said, and I quote: Sorry; but I can't take your order now as the kitchen can't follow for the moment!!!! If you wait a bit longer we will be able to give your entree and plat one after the other. We replied that we were not interested in receiving our both dishes one after the other as we prefer to have a bit of time between the 2 dishes. We said we wanted to leave if she was not going to take our order now. The waitress disappeared in the kitchen for a second a when she came back we were "allowed" to give our entree order... after 1h45 min after arriving we received our entree!!! As we wanted to drink some wine, we asked for the wine card; the waitress came back with the normal menu card that only shows 1 type of house wine. We asked her if there were any other wines, she said, yes of course, and took the menu card of us and started looking in it herself. We explained to her that there was no wine list in the menu card. At first she didn't believe us and started going back and forward in the menu card looking for it, until she realized that they have a separate wine card. We selected a wine we wanted (red Cianti) After 5 minutes she came back saying that they were out of this type of red wine.

At this point we were all looking around to see where the hidden camera was as this was almost like a slapstick movie. During all this a waitress dropped a couple of dishes on the floor right next to our table as well, so you can imagine our disbelieve.

Food was ok. But the bruschetta is 1000 times better at La Stanza.

1  Thank RoeLinda