“A beautiful place and a pleasant dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles

Faculty Club
Ranked #15 of 408 Restaurants in Leuven
Cuisines: European, French, Belgian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
grenoble
“A beautiful place and a pleasant dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I had a dinner there enjoying both the architecture and the content of the dishes which all had a Leuven special ingredient.

Visited June 2013

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Excellent Food Served In A 13th Century Monastery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

The decor is first-rate with a service oriented staff. Take time to walk around if you have the chance, as you will rarely see such period architecture on a frequent basis.

Visited March 2013
hereford
“Excellent service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

We had a meal at this restaurant which is on the site of Begijnhof Congress Hotel. The dining area was spacious and allowed privacy. Lovely exposed timber and comfortable seats. Service was attentive and food was exceptional. I had the a la carte menu with nobashi prawns as the starter with delicate balance of flavours. It was their take on surf and turf and even tho the prawns were breaded and deep fried, the beef and tuna was lovely with ginger in between to dazzle the pallet. The piece de resistance was definitely the crown of lamb, so succulent and tasty, the best I have had to date. The accompanying Italian wine hit the right notes on the palate.
Dessert was chocolate tart which was scrumptuous and the Muscadet complimented the dish. Overall a great meal and dining experience.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank 64hereford
Brussels
“Good but not exceptional food, mediocre service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

OK, three points out of five is a bit harsh. Still: if you present your restaurant as top class, it should be top class. And the service we got at Faculty Club just wasn't, even if it was friendly and pretended to be classy. It's all very nice to keep the wine bottles of the guests far away from their table, but then you should keep an eye on their glasses. I ate most of my main course with an empty glass. After finishing my dish and several attempts to catch a waiter's attention, I got some wine. A minute or so later, dessert came. So we drank most of our wine after our meal. In order to be able to finish the bottle before leaving, we again had to ask. Second fail: my main course was served while I was in the restroom. After I came back, I had to wait what felt like a really long time for the sauce. I wouldn't make too much of it if my companion, who works at Leuven University and eats here more often, didn't confirm that this kind of shortcomings happen quite frequently. And judging from the number of other guests, ours was even a slow night.
The food we got was good, the starter (baked scallops) even excellent. The potato soup with escargots was not (the taste of the escargots drowned in the heavy potato taste), and the main course (chicken with mushrooms, green cabbage and foie gras sauce) was good but I couldn't say the combination of ingredients did anything special. Same for dessert: tasty, but not a revelation.
So yes, we had a good meal. Maybe a bit too expensive for what it really was. And maybe three points is a bit harsh. I just wish the staff at faculty Club would focus less on walking around in as classy a way as they can manage, and more on the basics of serving food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ClemRobyns
Leuven, Belgium
“Hands down the best restaurant in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

This restaurant is mostly frequented by academic staff of the university. It is open for lunch and dinner from Monday through Friday. The catering is done by (the team of) Lieven Demeestere, the chef of 'Arenberg', a 1 Michelin star restaurant in Heverlee (suburb of Leuven). In weekends, the restaurant is clsed as Faculty Club works with another caterer for private parties (e.g. we had our wedding here) then.

The restaurant is situated in the beguinage and the decor and atmosphere of the restaurant are very stylish and chic.

The staff is extremely friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu and the daily suggestions.

You can choose between a set menu of 3 (€50) or 4 (€60) courses or à la carte dining. The à la carte entrées are all priced at €16,60, the main courses at €23,60 and the desserts at €10,90, which I think is extremely reasonable given the excellent quality of the food and the outstanding presentation. They have a limited, but nice selection of wine and champagne.

When we last visited, we were a party of four (my parents, my husband and myself) and chose to order à la carte. My father and I decided on an excellent potato with hand peeled shrimp and my mother and husband ordered the vitello tonnato, which was beautifully presented. While my father and husband chose the Berkshire pork, my mother and I went with the deer filet. Both dishes were accompanied with an excellent sauce. For dessert my father had a citrus meringue, while the rest of us had a chocolate dream. We ordered four glasses of champagne as an apériftif, a bottle of white wine (Pouilly Fumé), and a bottle of red wine, two bottles of water and four coffees (with which you get abundant sweets). Our bill totaled around €360, which I paid with a smile after the lovely dining experience. This restaurant should easily win the 'Best Value for money' award of all Leuven restaurants.

Whenever I feel like fine dining in my hometown, I will be heading to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012