“Fabulous”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Dinner at the Faculty Club was fabulous. Start with a drink and appetizer outside in the beautiful garden. Then you move to your table. Excellent service and delicious food from start to finish. Make reservations in advance.

There are newer reviews for Faculty Club

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I had a dinner there enjoying both the architecture and the content of the dishes which all had a Leuven special ingredient.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

The decor is first-rate with a service oriented staff. Take time to walk around if you have the chance, as you will rarely see such period architecture on a frequent basis.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

We had a meal at this restaurant which is on the site of Begijnhof Congress Hotel. The dining area was spacious and allowed privacy. Lovely exposed timber and comfortable seats. Service was attentive and food was exceptional. I had the a la carte menu with nobashi prawns as the starter with delicate balance of flavours. It was their take on surf and turf and even tho the prawns were breaded and deep fried, the beef and tuna was lovely with ginger in between to dazzle the pallet. The piece de resistance was definitely the crown of lamb, so succulent and tasty, the best I have had to date. The accompanying Italian wine hit the right notes on the palate.
Dessert was chocolate tart which was scrumptuous and the Muscadet complimented the dish. Overall a great meal and dining experience.

1  Thank 64hereford
Reviewed 20 January 2013

OK, three points out of five is a bit harsh. Still: if you present your restaurant as top class, it should be top class. And the service we got at Faculty Club just wasn't, even if it was friendly and pretended to be classy. It's all very nice to keep the wine bottles of the guests far away from their table, but then you should keep an eye on their glasses. I ate most of my main course with an empty glass. After finishing my dish and several attempts to catch a waiter's attention, I got some wine. A minute or so later, dessert came. So we drank most of our wine after our meal. In order to be able to finish the bottle before leaving, we again had to ask. Second fail: my main course was served while I was in the restroom. After I came back, I had to wait what felt like a really long time for the sauce. I wouldn't make too much of it if my companion, who works at Leuven University and eats here more often, didn't confirm that this kind of shortcomings happen quite frequently. And judging from the number of other guests, ours was even a slow night.
The food we got was good, the starter (baked scallops) even excellent. The potato soup with escargots was not (the taste of the escargots drowned in the heavy potato taste), and the main course (chicken with mushrooms, green cabbage and foie gras sauce) was good but I couldn't say the combination of ingredients did anything special. Same for dessert: tasty, but not a revelation.
So yes, we had a good meal. Maybe a bit too expensive for what it really was. And maybe three points is a bit harsh. I just wish the staff at faculty Club would focus less on walking around in as classy a way as they can manage, and more on the basics of serving food.

2  Thank ClemRobyns