“Nice place. Clean and comfortable.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Theater Hotel Leuven
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Leuven
Beltsville, Maryland
“Nice place. Clean and comfortable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is a medium-sized hotel very near the Leuven city center. The single room that I had was very small, but probably not that small by European standards. The single bed was also small, but comfortable. In spite of the lack of size, the room was still adequate for my needs, with a desk for working at, a large wardrobe for clothes, a mini-fridge stocked with beverages for purchase, and a safe. The bathroom was also small, but again adequate for my needs and was in very good condition (probably recently renovated). Had trouble getting connected to both the wired and wireless internet when I first arrived, but after the on-duty clerk reset various parts of the system a few times (over the space of a few hours), it worked great for the rest of my stay. Breakfast buffet is very nice, with lots of choices (but no Belgian waffles!). Only problem I had was that I couldn't get the safe to reset so that I could enter a new combination and use it. I mentioned this to the desk clerk, who said they'd have someone look at it, but they never did.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Horsham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for three nights for a conference. Very centrally located. Very helpful staff and clean tidy rooms. Not glamourously but functional and perfect for business. I would not really recommend this for a romantic getaway but for what I was there to do it was perfect.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
West Lafayette IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

In non-summer months (they don't have AC), this would be a good choice in Leuven. Even in October, our third floor room was a bit hot. It is in the city center and extremely close to the Stadhuis and Sint Pieters Kerk and the nice restaurants on Muntstraat. It is also a 12-minute walk to the train station where you can catch trains to Brussels, Brussels Airport Express, Ghent, and Brugge.

The rooms are furnished with modern furniture and include a mini bar. The bathroom, while very small (it really was possible to sit on the toilet and brush ones teeth in the sink), was clean and looked as if it had been remodeled fairly recently.

The breakfast was served in the light and airy art gallery. Items included 3 cold cereals, several types of breads and rolls, four types of cheese, four types of meat, smoked salmon, sweet pastries, hard-boiled eggs, and warm scrambled eggs and meat. They also had 3 types of juice, water, coffee, and tea.

The Cafe Leffe is in the hotel and has more obvious signs than the hotel itself.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank azogal
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Comfortable rooms, a great location and a truly excellent breakfast make the Theater Hotel a great place to stay - especially if you can get one of their own website bargain deals as we did.

The only problem, and for us it was a significant problem, is that it has no staff on the premises of any description after 9pm. For example, after dinner on the first night I noticed the wi-fi wasn't working. I had an important email to send so I went down to reception at 10pm to see that there was no one there and that it had completely closed with no night staff whatsoever. Very frustrating as I have never encountered this before in a hotel in this price range. I noticed the telephone in my room had an emergency number to ring in case of out-of-hours problems, but I didn't ring it because the email wasn't an actual real emergency.

But more seriously, on the second night my companion locked herself out of her room. So we had no choice but to ring the 'emergency number'. It went to a barely audible voice mail. We left our message. No reply after 10 minutes, so we rang again. And once again we got no reply. In desperation we looked for another way to contact the out-of-hours staff. Finally, we noticed an alternative number on the front door of the hotel. We rang it to get a very unfriendly voice telling us it would be very inconvenient to come back to the hotel at this time. Exasperated, I said it was crazy that there were no staff on the premises to help with the problem. I was then told it was 'crazy' we had locked ourselves out of the room at all and that we could spend all night in the corridor if we used such language again. I then had to plead with this person to let us back into the room.

I was, and am, truly astonished at the way we were treated that evening. Theater Hotel is a lovely place to stay but God help you if you encounter any problems after hours.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank PaulDove
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

This hotel is ridiculously overpriced. I paid US$206 per night to stay here. I would have given it three stars if it had been $100 per night. For $200, this is a terrible hotel. The rooms are small and beds even smaller. It is not air-conditioned. I have to leave the windows open and swat mosquitos constantly. Every morning, I wake up with my arms covered in mosquito bites.

For $200, the breakfast is mediocre. There are exactly three hot items: omelet with bacon bits, omelet with vegetables, vienna sausages (probably from a can). For such a limited selection, they should have at least varied what they serve but I stayed for seven nights and it was exactly the same menu everyday.

The location is good if your business is mainly in Leuven since it's right in the center of the town. But you are better off staying near the train station (where the bus station is also located) if you want better accessibility to Brussels and elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Louis L

Travellers are raving about these Leuven hotels

Walford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

I have stayed in Leuven numerous times and have tried lots of the hotels. I really loved this one! It is very centrally placed so everywhere is easy to get to. On my arrival I was greeted by an extremely pleasant chap who gave me all the info that I needed. Throughout the 3 nights that I stayed I met several of the reception staff and all were equally polite and accommodating. They lent me a plug adapter when mine didn't work and on my last morning when I had to leave before the official breakfast they gave me lots of fruit yoghurt and biscuits it he evening before and offered me a drink early in the morning. Breakfast was very nice and is served in an art gallery so one can look at sculptures and pictures whilst having a leisurely breakfast. The room was on two levels, it was very large and well equipped, the bed was comfy and all was very clean. The hotel offered free soft drinks from the room minibar due to the very hot weather and I appreciated that very much. There is excellent wifi in the hotel with a very strong signal in my room.
I parked my car in nearby ladeuseplein and the hotel offer a discounted rate which was a bonus.
All in all excellent. I will be back later in the year.

Room Tip: My room was on two levels, it was great for me and very Belgian, however if one had mobility problem...