“Good for the price”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Leuven
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I was recommended this hotel by word of mouth and I didn't check the reviews on online before I booked. When I did read the online reviews I was anxious. However, it turned out all right in the end. Obviously not the Royal Palace of Belgium, but considering the low price, I found it good value for money.

The location is very good being near to the train station and the main high street, which is obviously very beneficial when arriving and leaving.

The exterior of the hotel is surprisingly grand and it is situated in an attractive square. The grandness of the exterior does not continue indoors where a more minimalist look is employed.

Our double-room was small and basic but clean and the view over the square was very pleasant. There is a small TV with BBC News, CNN and other channels. There was no hair-dryer, kettle or fridge. We only really missed the hair-dryer (although we never got around to asking if they lent them from the main desk). The lighting is subtle and relaxing but the room would have benefited from a desk lamp for when reading or using a laptop. The room was warm with an under window radiator (we stayed in January).

Breakfast was included and offered a hot and cold buffet including scrambled eggs, bacon, mini-sausages, cheese, ham, bread, orange juice, fruit salad, yoghurt and cereal. There was a good selection of make-your-own hot drinks but the trendy coffee cups were too small for tea (this might only be a problem if you are British).

By hotel standards, the free in-room Wifi was very good indeed. I was given a real WEP password at check in. I had to enter the password only once and the Internet worked all week. I found it reliable and fast.

The hotel restaurant is fantastic. We found it hard to find toddler friendly restaurants in Leuven and so we ended up eating in the hotel most nights. Our toddler very much liked the friendly Romanian waiter who went out of his way to make the baby comfortable. The restaurant serves as the bar and lobby too, there is no separate downstairs accommodation. There was no English language menu but the Romanian guy spoke perfect English so it was not a big problem. Obviously I don't know if we just got lucky or if all their waiters are helpful.

The stairs have pretty marbled effect tiles and I expect most people use them as the only other people we saw in the lift were the cleaners. The lift was really the biggest flaw because it did not always want to stop on the right floor and basically had a mind of its own. (Although bizarrely every lift we used in Belgium seemed to be antiquated, ugly and/or broken in some way - in Britain we would call these goods lifts rather than lifts fit for customers - especially beware of the lifts in Brussels Midi station - very nasty). Apparently there was a way to avoid these problems by standing at the back of the lift but it did not work for us. The pretty tiles can echo somewhat if people move around outside your room.

The staff were helpful and accommodating and the best thing about the hotel. Check out was somewhat early at 11 rather than the standard noon. We could leave our bags in the hotel reception after checkout.

Good: Restaurant, breakfast, wifi, friendly staff, price
Bad: Lift, Lift, Lift

Room Tip: I have only stayed in one room but I liked the view over the square.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank King Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 15 November 2011

... and the hotels are often full in Leuven.

I've stayed a couple of times and had one decent room, and one not so good (small, a bit smelly, bathroom light doesn't work).

It looks like they made a low budget renovation to the rooms a few years ago, but the place could use a second round. The entrance and staircase look pretty dodgy.

Positives; great location, decent breakfast, and very reasonable price compared to the rest of the hotels in Leuven.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Leuven hotels

Merida
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The hotel is terrible, the toaillete is terrible. Please, don´ts pend your money in one hotel like this.
Disasterous night. No Parking. No facilities and very expensive .I've stayed in places labelled as hostels that were better than this.
it is not comfortable at all.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2011

After a disasterous night at the nearby Etap hotel (don't stay there) we shecked in for our remaining two nights at La Royal on the square by the station. Here are pros and cons

Cons:
- Rooms aren't inspiring
- Might not have a view from the room (we had a brick wall)
- no kettle in rooms

Pros:
- rooms were clean and tidy
- Helpful staff
- room service
- Great breakfast included in price
- Suitable for children
- free wi-fi

Overall this hotel does exactly what it says - it's a good place to sleep in a central location (10 mins walk from town square) in a beautiful city

Room Tip: Ask for one on the front with a view of the square
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tallandrew
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Three advantages to this .. location, free WiFi, and cheap. Less than €50 for an hotel room with breakfast in any European city centre says it all. My room was pretty much like those described by other reviewers except I didn't have a bathroom, or rather I did have a bathroom but it was down the corridor, and it was bigger than my room. I kid you not, the bathroom was bigger than the room and was across the corridor and had a sign on the door requesting others not to use this bathroom as it belonged to room 425. I didn't feel comfortable in the hotel at all and only stayed there because a colleague booked it for a group of us and he didn't check Triipadvisor beforehand. Lesson learned.

I won't go back but if you're on a budget then this is good value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan S
London
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I pretty much agree with the last 2 reviews. This hotel is nothing special at all. Very plain. Not exactly dirty but I wasn't comfortable either. I had a single room and it was the size of a shoebox. Nothing extra in the room. No air conditioning and it was boiling hot. I was a little put off by the absence of a bath mat too. This hotel gives you the bare minimum. I didn't find the staff particularly friendly. I was not greeted nicely at all and they tend to hide behind their desk even though they know you're standing there waiting to speak with them. I've stayed in places labelled as hostels that were better than this. The location is fine. Probably best part of the whole experience. But Leuven is so small it's irrelevant. As I walked around and stumbled upon other hotels I longingly wondered what they were like inside. The only plus was free wi-fi in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank sisterkara
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 28 June 2010

advice: don't go there for sleeping, drinking or eating !
Rooms are dirty, hotel is noisy, staff is VERY rude, the wine they serve is crap, the coffee is cold, the breakfast was poor and food not fresh
The staff is very racist, I saw them discriminate black people :( (were laughing about them behind the bar).
The food they serve in the 'restaurant' is poor and also not fresh, I took some typical Belgian dish and it looked more like dog food.
So once again, look for another hotel on that square @ the Leuven station.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo