“Willie McBride”
Review of WW1 Tours

WW1 Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Personally guided tours to Waterloo and the WW1 & WW2 Memorials a Battlefields in France and Belgium. Tours to the Western Front are tailor made to develop the British, ANZAC, Canadian or American dimension. Single day and multi-day tours Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel. Optional drop off at Lille Europe station or Paris CDG airport. We are licensed to work as a tour guide and to transport people.
Dublin, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Willie McBride”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have always wanted to visit the grave of the young Willie McBride from the very first time I heard the ballad "No Mans Land, The Green Fields of France" written by Eric Bogle and sung by Finbar Furey. As a teacher I am always amazed at how this ballad in particular can inspire young people to engage with History through the power of the lyric. As a class project we used the Common Wealth War Graves Commission Data Base to locate the grave of this young soldier, and we found not just the one Willie McBride but ten of an Irish Regiment North and South. Carl helped me find the grave of Private W.McBride buried in Authuille, British Military Cemetery near Albert in Northern France. Carl recommended a B&B that would enable us to attend the Mennin Gate ceremony which I was very moved by. The following morning after a delicious breakfast Carl collected my friend and I and we set off for Authuille. En route we collected a couple from Perth, Australia and we visited the battlefields of Flanders and every site we had requested, and that meant so much to all of us. Carl even brought us to see the Cathedral at Amiens which delighted our friends from Perth.We did not think it possible to include this gem but he did it as it would be our only chance to see it and what a joy it was. I left a plaque on the grave of our young Willie McBride from myself and my pupils and when I did get to sing his song at his grave side I sang it for them all. Carl is a professional tour guide who delivers a service of excellence that I have not seen very often. His knowledge of History from every perspective was inspiring, his answer to every request was "yes, I can", he even dropped us back to the train station at Lille, which was out of his way, because he knew that train went directly from there back to Brugge. If I were lucky enough to visit Belgium and the battle fields of Northern France once more I would without hesitation contact Carl Ooghe to be my guide, I learned so much. 15th August 2013.

Nora Kielty
Finglas, Dublin, Ireland

Visited August 2013

Roseville, Minnesota
“Can't Imagine a Better Guide”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've been on two tours with Carl and am excited to have a third scheduled for early next year. Most recently he took our U.S. university group (about 15) on a three-day tour of WWI sites: Ypres, Vimy, the Somme, and American cemeteries. I really can't imagine a better guide. Carl is extraordinarily knowledgeable (and always looking to learn more); I just felt bad that the half of our group riding in the van with me didn't get to hear more from Carl in the other van. Whatever the arrangement of the tour, he finds a way to tell a story that flows from one site to another. And our students found him charming and funny. (I've had many of them in other classes since 2013, and they often ask after him.) I can't wait to take the next tour in January!

Visited January 2014

Ghent, Belgium
“WWI tours with Carl Ooghe an unforgettable experience.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We are a very upscale luxury river yacht which caters to a private clientele, most of whom are world travelers of taste and means. I have taken tours with Carl Ooghe many times and our clients return with nothing but the highest compliments for his personality, minute knowledge of the intricacies of WWI, including the political and economic conditions in Europe at that time which led to the outbreak of this tragic war. His overall knowledge and presentation, the manner in which he drops personalized anecdotes into his tours make the experience unforgettable and our guests always remember their experience with Carl and often send their greetings in communication with me.

Visited August 2013

Reading, United Kingdom
“TOUR FOR 25 ON BIKES”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Carl took 25 of us along the Western Front for five days and was extremely welcoming and helpful: he coordinated the trip very well, selecting places to stay and eat perfectly. His talks at the various memorials were very animated and exceptionally well delivered: catering for a mixed audience and keeping all enthused. In addition, he remained flexible changing the trip when needed. Thank you Carl.

Visited June 2014

WATERLOO
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The best tour you'll ever take”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've had the privilege of taking Car Ooghe's Western Front tour three times as a chaperon of high school history classes (2010, 2012, 2014). Carl is a gifted story teller who makes history come alive. You can't take Carl's tour without coming away with a deeper understanding of the horror that is war -- and of the untold stories of humanity and heroism that don't often make it into history books.

Teachers: I've never seen anyone who can command the rapt attention of teenagers like Carl. They all see Carl as a "rock star."

Visited June 2014