“England in Bruges”

Tea-room De Proeverie
Ranked #2 of 26 Coffee & Tea in Bruges
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Tea-room "De Proeverie" is an extension of the famous chocolate shop "chocolaterie Sukerbuyc" located opposite, on the same street. It serves cakes and chocolate fantasies and waffles, all made on the premises by family recipes. No pancakes or ice, instead you can savor a whole range of exquisite cakes while enjoying a coffee break by light baroque music.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely English style tea room in Bruges. I can recommend the hot chocolate as well as the many teas and coffees on the menu. Also scones and cakes are very good. Great in the winter to sit near the fire and read a newspaper!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We sought out Tea-Room De Proeverie in Bruges on the recommendation of family members who had been there the month before our visit. (Thanks, Cat and Joe!!) Oh my! What an amazing experience. The service was fast and friendly, the atmosphere was charming, and the hot chocolate was incredible! The candies that accompanied the chocolate were yummy. We also shared a wedge of their apple pie and it was delicious. Treat yourself!!!

1  Thank BethM1502
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This shop is linked to the chocolate shop across the street so when you ask for a hot chocolate drink you get a mug of hot milk with some melted chocolate to mix in with some cream to place on the top when you have mixed in the chocolate. Plus you get a sample of 4 chocolate all of which is absolutely gorgeous!
The selection of cakes is good with the Bretonne delicious.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I've tried hot chocolates all over the world and would consider myself an amateur connoisseur I guess, so having read all the great reviews of Tea-room De Proeverie's "World Famous Hot Chocolate" I decided I simply had to try it. This is my second time in Bruges, and I've also tried hot chocolates at Bittersweet (good from what I remember (two years ago), with a pretty presentation (chocolate flower dropped into hot milk)) and Gingerbread (also good). Based on my memory of the hot chocolates at Gingerbread and Bittersweet I would say that both were better than De Proeverie's hot chocolate.

Now, that said, De Proeverie's hot chocolate came with four chocolates from Chocolatier Sukerbuyc (the sister shop across the street) that were very, very delicious. Back to the hot chocolate though. The presentation was nice, with the aforementioned four chocolates (three Rice Krispie pastilles and one milk chocolate praline), and a small bowl of melted dark chocolate to stir into the hot milk, as well as sugar and a bowl of whipped cream. I stirred my melted chocolate into my hot milk and tried a sip, only to be disappointed at how un-chocolatey it tasted. I don't usually add whipped cream or sugar to my hot chocolates, but I added some whipped cream with the hopes of improving the flavour. It helped a bit, but not much, so I added the praline and the dark pastille to my hot chocolate as well, and that improved it a bit. The other people at my table did the same, as they were also disappointed by the lack of flavour in their hot chocolates.

Being a chocoholic I realize that I usually want my hot chocolates to be a lot more chocolatey than the average person, but even the other two people at my table, who generally enjoy a more balanced combination of hot milk and chocolate, also felt that their hot chocolates lacked flavour and could have been more chocolatey.

In addition, we tried the scones, which were rubbery and tasted a bit like they had been microwaved. They didn't taste fresh and their flavour was almost past average to bad. Definitely wouldn't recommend the scones.

In short, the hot chocolates were mediocre at best, but the chocolates that accompanied them were very good. At 4.20 Euros I feel that I didn't completely throw away my money since at least the chocolates were good, but I also think I probably could have just bought some nice belgian chocolate bars and melted them into hot milk and been a lot happier. For now, based on my experiences so far, I would recommend Gingerbread for its atmosphere and its higher quality hot chocolates.

Oh - and as for the service - our server was pleasant enough and we were seated without any rudeness or awkwardness. We were in the front sitting area near the cash register, which lacked the wonderful atmosphere with Baroque music that the Tea-room claims to have when you visit its website. None of that where we were. Just a comfortable enough tea-room without any particularly nice or memorable atmosphere, or hot chocolate for that matter.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This place was so much fun! A great place to rest and refuel before venturing out to more sites. Best hot chocolate ever!