“Satisfactory.”

Ridderspoor Holiday Flats
Ranked #18 of 38 Speciality Lodging in Bruges
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The great thing about the Ridderspoor is its location right in the center of Bruges. It is *literally* only a five minute walk from the market square and hence just about as close as you can get.

My wife and I had booked the apartment "Cadzand", which is located on the top floor, via booking.com. Pre-stay contact with the proprietor, Mr. Zenasni, was very pleasant and we were given a lot of advance information and tips. As the Ridderspoor is all about self-catering, we were happy to know beforehand that the apartment would be furnished with all necessary amenities. Be advised that there is no elevator in the house so plan for a longish trek up some relatively narrow stairs if you have one of the top apartments.

The biggest shock came when we opened the door to our apartment and found that it had hardly been cleaned before our stay. Massive stains on some of the blankets, sofa cushions and upholstery in general. Dust - not only in the corners but all around the bed etc. Since we had a vacuum cleaner, the dust was not much of a problem. However, we were grossed out by the rest of the problems so I called the proprietor. To his credit, Mr. Zenasni reacted immediately and sent over some staff who replaced all the dirty linen. He apologized by saying that the regular cleaning lady was on vacation and somebody else (he had rarely worked with) had done the cleaning. Since cleanliness has not been named as one of the issues at the Ridderspoor I tend to give Mr. Z the benefit of the doubt and accept the explanation.

Anyway ... we were happy that we now had a reasonably clean room. Other than that, there's not much to be said against the apartment as such. Mr Zenasni also works as an interior decorator/designer/carpenter/upholsterer and one can admire some of his amazing works in the rooms. In summary, I would call the furnishing/design of the apartment(s) - at least the one we stayed in - inconsistent. On the one hand, you have some beautifully handmade tables and chairs. On the other hand, there's some relatively worn and tatty stuff like an elderly sleeper, some IKEA armchairs (I think they might have been POÄNGs or somesuch), a miniature TV and so on. Coffee machine and water kettle have also seen better days. It is understandable that an apartment which is located directly under the roof may not boast a fully fledged shower stall (for lack of standing space) - but the bathtub/shower hose combination is soooo 1950s ... and quite inconvenient, really.

Summing up and weighing all the pros and cons, I cannot bring myself to overenthuse about the Ridderspoor as some of my fellow reviewers have but I do take into account the possibility that I might just have chosen the wrong apartment or gotten a wrong first impression. To me, it's an okay location but not one I would necessarily choose again (but would not mind doing so if it was particularly convenient or came at a good price).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cosmopolite

Reviewed 18 April 2013

A great visit to Brugge again and this time staying in a great location !
You couldn't find a better furnished and convienent set of appartments to cozy up in after several local ales, great food and a good trott around the sights.
I feel sure we'll be back.....

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lex198
Reviewed 29 November 2012

We have just returned from 3 nights in the 3rd floor apartment. We loved it right from the entrance hall - so elegant, clean and simple, yet cozy and homely. The 3rd floor apartment is just right for a couple and it was a perfect getaway spot. The location is fab, so we could easily nip home to deposit all the chocolate we'd bought in the middle of the day, or just to rest our legs before dinner! And the view is just perfect! We'd definitely recommend a stay here, or also in the B&B a few doors down (also owned by the same couple) which looked very nice indeed. We were sad not to meet Djamil and his wife to thank them in person, but we really had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Lovely apartments very close to the main squares in Brugge old town. The proprietors also run a B&B a few doors down on the same street, which I must say looked like a very nice establishment indeed. There are small supermarkets within a 10 minute walk to stock up on provisions. Nicely appointed, homely self contained accommodation. My only complaints are there is no soap provided in the bathrooms and the check out time is 10am. Apart from those minor issues I highly recommend Ridderspoor.

Room Tip: Both the first floor apartment and the loft apartment were both good, although the loft apartment is...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lee D
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Stayed here with my wife and son between 20 to 23 october 2011. We were in Bruges with 10 thousand other Brummies to watch Birmingham City become the first english football team to ever win in Bruges!!!!
Enough nostalgia now to review.....
Apartments are in great location less than 5 mins from the main square, we were on the first floor and what a delight it was.....
The building has great character although you prehaps wouldn't think so from outside.
Kitchen facilities are excellent as are the sleeping quarters.
TV with all local channels and even free internet on the computer.
Information available of local area in room.
Apartment approx 20 min walk from train station.
Bruges is a magical place which everyone should visit.
Went on the local train to holiday resort Knokke about 20 minutes away, this area I was staggered by as I didn't realise Belgium had resorts like this (smaller version of Nice) and it's full of expensive designer shops. Well worth a visit.
In Bruges you must visit the De Proveverie tea room hot chocolate and cakes simply amazing!!!!
Bruges is a fantastic place with great sights which I'm going to visit again in October 2012 and I strongly recommend these apartments.
The friendly and helpful owner is Djamil who was happy to help with any queries.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bluenosejohn
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We were very impressed with the beauty of our apartment. We have rented many holiday apartments and this one is my favorite to date. I would have preferred the unit with the bath (we got the small shower), but the comfort and location were exactly what we had hoped to find. We are returning next week for a short stay at the B&B and are very much looking forward to it. It was very hot during our stay, and a fan would have been a nice extra.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We had a wonderful time at our Ridderspoor holiday flat! The apartment was very spacious with high ceilings. The kitchens had everything you would need to prepare a simple breakfast or an elegant dinner. It was a great stay in Bruges and we loved the location and it's close proximity to everything. It was a quiet location too. We really enjoyed the common outdoor terrace and had breakfast outside. The only thing to bring (or pick up at a local supermarket) would be bath soap and shampoo. There is a washer in the apartment and a common dryer in the cellar. Some of the apartments have very nice tubs and others have just shower stalls, so ask if you would like an apartment with a tub. Would love to visit again the next time we're in Bruges!

Room Tip: We staying in Damme Apt. 1 and loved it. The loft apartment and Apt 2 have views of the market squar...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple