“Great bargain food for Bruges”

Creperie De Bretoen
Ranked #45 of 49 Dessert in Bruges
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I agree with all the previous reviews that the staff here aren't exactly jumping with joy at serving you but then what they provide is just really nicely made (and enormously well-filled) crepes at actual bargain basement prices for Bruges.

While the restaurants in the centre may be lovely and friendly and helpful, you can hardly blame them for doing so when they're all trying to sting you 16 euros for even a tiny starter.

When I first went into this place, I could tell straight away that the service was going to be very functional, so I expected no less and just remained nice and polite to the woman who runs it, and in return she was perfectly nice back.

Crepes were great and you could see them being made with real care and affection (most of the fillings were made and cooked individually in copper saucepans before being piled onto the crepes). If the food is looked after that well, I don't mind if I'm not. :-)

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Hunting out a crêperie in Bruges, I identified this one from a search on Yelp! Sat outside on a cold day, on the traditional pavement tables in a secondary location just 200mtrs or so from the main Markt Square, the seven of us were met by the 60something female owner. We were made to feel as welcome as a skunk in a sauna.

She took our order without any form of pleasantries, smiles or grateful acknowledgement. It was as though we were an inconvenience.

After a few minutes, the chill factor outside prompted us to venture indoors. It wasn't overly busy, say half to four fifths full, but again the woman owner made us feel unwelcome and, despite us confirming we'd sit at two separate tables (three teenagers with us), the owner didn't give a lone diner an option to remain at her window table that could accommodate 4, telling her to move to another table whilst enabling our party of 7 to sit at adjacent tables. We were really embarrassed and, despite our insistence, the owner was equally and more forthrightly insistent that the lone diner move. Very rude.

I communicate with owners of restaurants, but my query of "how long have you owned the restaurant" was met with a very curt "why do you want to know?"

I wrongly assumed the place must have a fantastic reputation (I hadn't looked on TripAdvisor prior), as people surely wouldn't come to experience or participate in the welcome party alone.

What happened next was gobsmacking. We turned around to watch the crepes being made on a specialist grill behind us, central to the restaurant. The husband of 'grouchy woman' was professionally making large circles of pancakes. All looked good.

We then heard the yap of a small dog, turned again to see a little black dog running through the restaurant (the family pet). The dog was then hit by the man cooking the crepes with his spatula. A quick whack over the dog's back. The man then immediately proceeded to turn a pancake using the same spatula. Disgusting!

I bolted up, appalled at what I'd seen (hygiene!) but was asked to sit down by my family. The restaurant owners and other diners carried on as normal, as though this was nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm sure the affected pancake went to another adjacent table, I couldn't be sure. We placated ourselves that the spatula had been used to strike and and not stroke the dog, so contact was quick (still unacceptable).

The pancakes we had were reasonable although far from fantastic. No dog hairs identified.

So, based on friendliness of staff (the female owner), the smoky environment (from the oil used in the cooking), the smacking of the dog with the cooking utensil and the ultimate quality of the pancakes (which would get a 3 out of five normally), this place gets a 1.

I still ask myself; did he really just hit the dog with a spatula and then turn a pancake with it? Yes he did. Dog smacked and gobsmacked.

7  Thank Travelswith
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Looks nice from the outside but when we came in we apparently disturbed their family dinner. The woman behind the bar barely said hi and she looked like she wanted to throw us out. When we had to wait for her to take our order we had enough and decided to go somewhere else.

2  Thank Sanna5739865793475
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Along with lots of other places in Bruges we found the staff rude. For some reason they just act like you are a nuisance making you feel like you are putting them out.

The food was cooked on an old convex steel crepe making "machine" by an old man who comes out of the living quarters when his equally ancient wife shouts for him. Clearly authentic food cooked and served as it always has been.

These crepes are pretty stodgy and filling as well as being tasty. They are definitely a full meal on their own!

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Average to reasonable food in a cosy place, let down by the waitress who acted like having customers was a total nuisance for her.

2  Thank J V