“Good food”

De Carre
Ranked #593 of 707 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, Dutch, European
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Norfolk
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

My partner and I could not understand the bad reviews. During our stay in Bruges we visited this restaurant twice. On the first occasion we had a three course meal and the second just for lunch. Both times the food was extremely good. I can recommend the French onion soup. The fixed price menu is good value for money. The restaurant is clean and modern. If we went back to Bruges we would visit again.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank ShortyNorfolk

West Bromwich, United Kingdom
“Loved the place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

After a delayed journey to Bruges, my partner and I went in search of a restaurant in Market Square and we were immediately attracted to "de carre" as its decor stood out from the other restaurants available on the Square. Being Christmas, all the restaurants displayed the usual christmas decorations but "de carre" offered something different - a beautifully displayed white christmas theme, candlelights, and fairy lights.

Upon entering the restaurant, we immediately received a warm and friendly welcome. This service continued in this positive manner throughout our stay at the place. We opted for the 3 course 39 euros menu as it appeared good value for money. Whilst other restaurants offered a 3 course 29 euros menu, "de carre" was better value as it included all the side extras, which in the cheaper menus, you have to separately order the side extras, and soon the costs add on, and probably exceed 39 euros.

The food was absolutely fantastic. All 3 courses were eye-catching and beautifully presented and tasted delicious. A good selection of wine choice and beers added to this wonderful experience.

The atmosphere in the restaurant was also very good and the staff's warm and friendly service contributed to this experience. Whilst others may be offended, I found it highly amusing to be told by the waiter, that they did not have a toilet, when I asked for directions to it. He equally found it funny when I jokingly told him to "get lost" and went off to the toilet.

I highly recommend this restaurant. We returned to this place on 2 further occasions during our four night stay in Bruges. Avoid reviews that advises you not to go to the Market Square for food. Go to this one. "de Carre" is a family run restaurant and offers something different with quality than the usual trade restaurants. I hope that "de carre" will continue to offer this service from generation to generation.

1 Thank Bimla K
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
“LOVED THE PLACE..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Had a great time in this great city,i think its my choice of a relaxing break. My girlfriend and i ate here on our first evening and had great night, the food was really tasty and the welcome was very warm, I think that the staff have a good sense of humour, my girlfriend asked for the toilet and was told "we don't have any" the guy kept a straight face but she knew he was joking, I think if you want to eat in the main square this is the place.

1 Thank martin h
london, england
“Terrible attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Please avoid this at all costs!
The waiters in particular one guy was so rude to my friend and I.
We popped in for a drink and the atmosphere was so unwelcoming. Only served one larger , asked for a glass if tap water ( just walked the hundred odd steps of the cathedral) to be told 'no, we can only give tap water to people taking medication' I completely understand this but it was the way it was said and with such attitude. It really ruined the afternoon for us as we were having such a great day. Menus were thrown on the table and then waiter walked away - no smile.
These people really need to learn some manners - a restaurant a few doors down we went a few hours before was the complete opposite - such nice people.
We left without finishing our drinks as it was upsetting to be there. No thank you or goodbye!

Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
“Good food but pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We visited in November 2013, and to be sure of a good table we booked. The staff were attentive, the food was good, but being on the Markt square it was bound to be pricey. (We have found that credit cards are not universally accepted all over Belgium and Holland- so we always try to have some cash).

• Visited November 2013