“Rip Off”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We went to this restaurant for their special fixed price menu advertised on the boards in front. However, when we were seated, they handed us a large book of their a la carte specialties. Nowhere could you find the special deals offered. We had to ask about the advertised special menu. As locals came in, they were handed a thinner menu offering lighter fare. As tourists arrived, the wait staff continued to hand out the expensive menu, never giving people other options from which to choose. This was very disconcerting, as often people had difficulty communicating their desires. The staff showed complete disinterest in helping out.
As previous patrons remarked, they certainly overcharged for their beverages and the food was mediocre. I would recommend staying away from this tourist trap. There are so many wonderful places to try in Bruges.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Very expensive drinks - €6 for a coke and €5 for a small glass of milk. The food was average - I wasn't impressed by the mussels in white wine, it tasted like they had thrown in more celery than mussels or white wine. The only reason we stopped was for an early evening meal and some of the better restaurants hadn't opened for the evening yet. Service was fine, but I wouldn't return to this place in a hurry.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Most local people in Bruges will tell you: do NOT eat in the restaurants at the great square. Never the less I got tempted by a cheap menu: € 14 for escargots (snails), beef stew Flemish style and a dessert. Of course tempted by having a cheap lunch at a great location I went in and did not check the prices for beer. € 6 for speciality beers (on other less central touristic places you would pay € 4 for the same beer). Whatever you drink: it's overexpensive. So, what about the food then: the snails were nice however for that price, the beef stew was served very basically without any salad and a small portion of fries on the same plate. And then there was the dessert included: canned ananas. I know several places in Bruges (like Entrée Principale) were you would pay € 14 for a menu, better prepared and presented and with normal prices for drinks. I read the other reviews and need to be fair: the service however was friendly and swift. But my main problem with this place is: they'll lure you in with cheap food prices but they'll nearly double charge you for the drinks. So only go here if you MUST eat at the famous market place, otherwise simply avoid.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The waiters were rude!!!! They shoved us and stared at us whilst having our drinks!!!! We were not happy!!!! And we are not going back there again and I suggest you shouldn't either!!!!!!

1  Thank Leah B
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel was a very good price, the rooms basic but comfortable. Fantastic location right on the square public parking available around the corner. The food was dear and not great value for money the staff were quite rude refusing to let me change my starter from cheese platter to snails! Recommend you eat elsewhere!