“Worst waiter I have ever seen in my life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Huyze Die Maene

Huyze Die Maene
Ranked #520 of 707 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Worst waiter I have ever seen in my life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Went there for a meal after seeing a tripadvisor sticker at their door. Was hoping to get a reasonable meal after a long wet day and there was a board outside which says 16 euros for something. We went in and asked one of the waiter about it. To be clear, I speak good English having been educated in English for at least 16 years. I asked what does the 16 euros on the board outside mean, and his reply: "it means if you pay 16 euros, you get to see the menu". What is that supposed to mean?? We were Chinese travelers with a small backpack each, and that did come across as slightly offensive. We didn't understand the language hence we asked him. We sat down after we clarify it was for a two course meal. We took a while to decide, and when the waiter came again to take our order, he raised his voice slightly and said "so are you guys FINALLY ready to order?" That was completely unnecessary. We did felt like leaving but we were really tired after a long day walking. The food came and it was in my opinion, just average. I had to put quite a bit of salt and pepper to season my risotto and the Flemish beef stew (a main course!) only had 4 small pieces of beef in it. It did not come with any staple like fries. Just the dish and the risotto for 16 euros?! He did not seem pleased also when we did not want to order any drinks. We called for the bill, and as students, we were going Dutch and pooling our money together. He just stood behind us with his arms on our chairs while we do that. This is the first time I see a waiter do that. And he counted the money right in front of us on the table. Spreading the money out. I find that really offensive. He seem to have done that tryin to emphasize something. It was a really bad experience for us. He was behaving his best in front of other customers but when it comes to us, I feel only discrimination and no service. Right after we paid, he immediately cleared the table of everything including our napkin, while we were still seated there talking. There was not a word of excuse me or sorry. I can understand that when they see student travelers like us, they kind of expect no tips from us. But as a waiter, shouldn't he have showed some professionalism. I am also not sure whether he was showing racial discrimination as well. The worst finish to our day in Bruges, a really beautiful city. This waiter has curly hair, had glasses on, and light stubble beard on his face - please avoid him if you want to have a pleasant meal. They don't deserve that tripadvisor sticker on their door.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank GlasgowJ

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Herne Bay
“Good food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

The location in the main square did make it a bit pricy but it was our wedding anniversary. The food was good and the service was also good. Not very busy as it was a Sunday. The set menus were interesting as you ended up have to pay more for some of the items on the set menu. Drinks were also a little expensive but again that would be due to the location.

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Superb food great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

When I stayed in Bruges with my wife in Oct/November this year we stayed at the Casa Romantico Luxe B&B which is run by the owners of this B&B/Restaurant. Obviously the owners recommended their own establishment for evening meals and to be honest they had every right to do so and with just cause.

Situated on the main square you do expect that prices are a little higher than off the beaten track. Having just come from Paris I have to say that the prices were very reasonable. The building is, as you would expect in a UNESCO designated city, beautiful with all original features. Outside seating is available complete with very warm heaters so even when cold on the square you still feel warm with your coat off.

The menu is varied with something for everyone. A three course A la Carte meal for two including drinks and coffee comes in at around €80-€90 add an additional €20+ for a bottle of wine. Food was excellent, freshly prepared, well presented, good portion size and tasted wonderful. Service was attentive very friendly and at no time did we feel rushed. Top marks indeed for Huyze Die Maene worth every cent and I have to say we did try a couple of other places on the square during the lunch period and found them to be lacking in service, rather unclean and menu's were not very appetising.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Markdubya
Netherlands
“overpriced, rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

plus: at the markt, central location

minus: overpriced, even for a touristic place such as Bruges. For instance 7.50€ for 1 portion of french fries (vlaamse frieten). 40€ for three beers, 2 portions of fries, and 1 portion of regular cheese.

owner didn't want to share the wifi password with us, told us to go outside and use free wifi available elsewhere in a cold manner. The staff usually ignores you when you want to order/ask something.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank graymountain
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
“A perfect local place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were directed to Huyze Die Maene by our B&B hosts when we asked for a recommendation for a local place to try moules and frites. We also had the Fois Gras, another specialty of the house. Both were delicious, as was the local beer. The waiter was completely kind and accommodating. The music, Dire Straits (a favorite of the waiter) added to the calm and comfortable atmosphere inside while we enjoyed our meal and watched the busy market square.

• Visited November 2013