“Not Good Value For Money.”
Review of Pergola Restaurant

Pergola Restaurant
Ranked #281 of 741 Restaurants in Bruges
Price range: US$13 - US$40
Cuisines: Belgian, French, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Pergola is a well hidden gem situated along a picturesque stretch of canal. We are specialized in regional cuisine where fish lovers as well as meat lovers find their liking. On sunny days we serve on our terrace overlooking the canal, on typical 'Belgian weather days' we welcome you in our romantic cellar on water level. We can organize to take your aperitif on the boat while touring the city and moor at the venue for an exquisite dinner.
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a lovely location on the banks of the canal. The restaurant itself has a nice atmosphere and the service was good (notable exception later).
The food was good without being exceptional but our main douse of three was very small. The course was served on large (?12 inch) plates. My wife had a small piece of fish on the centre of her plate and a very few vegetables. I had 3 very small pieces of chicken about 2 inches round and 2 inches deep, four small potato halves and four very small mushrooms. These were placed on the very edge of my plate with a dash of green and red cheffie sauce. The food did not even cover one third of the plate leaving two thirds empty, making a small portion seem even smaller. My wife and I are not big eaters but even this was small by our standards. It would have been hard to tell if this was a starter or main course.

Excuse me now while I have a little rant. I asked for a glass of tap water and was told point blank that they would not serve it. If I wanted water I had to have bottled, which I grudgingly took. The cost of half a litre of bottled water was €5.00. A recent analyse of about 47 bottled waters showed that over 40 had more impurities that standard European tap water. So this is not sold for purity and I have long regarded the bottled water industry to be the biggest confidence trick imaginable. Added to this, petrol in the local filling station was about €1.80 a full litre. The price charged by this restaurant is a rip off.

I have no problem with the price of any meal, or part thereof, as long as I feel I have had value for money. I have paid £300.00 for a meal in Dubrovnik before now and been delighted with the value. This is not good value.

1  Thank BigJock7

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We are on our honeymoon and were made to feel very welcomed by our excellent server, Suzanne. We enjoyed the escargot and the creme brûlée. The ambiance was very nice. The food was good but not excellent. Presentation was very nice.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had a great birthday celebration here. We booked the table a few days before. The restaurant has a canal side location, it's decoration is tasteful.

We started with an excellent kir royale, our starter arrived promptly and the main course followed flawlessly. Our waiter attended to our wine glasses extremely well and also dealt with a slightly awkward table of Russians with charm and decorum.

I was too full to eat dessert - the second time in Bruges this holiday!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Right service, right food, right service, right location, right atmosphere for the right price.
These are the places where you go back indeed

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had the €35,- three course meal.

Restaurant is in the cellar at night, and we had to sort of figure that out by ourselves, but when we found out it was so much worth it. - Fully booked most nights so call in advance.

When we arrived it was extremely hot in the restaurant, but that was sorted during the evening.

Very professional waiters who gave good guidance in regards of wine and beer.

The food itself was very nice and really delicious.

The restaurant is quite packed when fully booked, and we had the 'pleasure' of sitting next to a quite loud party who drank a lot of champagne; a little noisy that night but you can't blame the restaurant for that.