“An enjoyable evening meal”
Review of Restaurant Couvert

Restaurant Couvert
Ranked #74 of 721 Restaurants in Bruges
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
London
“An enjoyable evening meal”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The proprietor of the B&B recommended this restaurant along with a number of other restaurants which were open on Sunday night so no favouritism.

It's off the main square and across the canal in a quite little street. It was inviting from the outside and looked cosy, there were only two other diners so we had no problem getting a seat. By the end of the evening a further eight people turned up.

The restaurant appears to be geared up for couples as most of the tables were doubles although tables could be put together to accommodate larger parties.

We had the set menu €38 each, this is for three course, the starter was shrimps on an avocado mousse. These were similar to Morecambe Bay shrimps but from Zeebrugge. The main course was a lovely piece of lamb steak really well cooked that melted in your mouth. This was served with carrots and very tasty dauphinoise potatoes. Dessert was mascarpone with fresh berries. We also had an entree of olives, radishes and winkles.

We had three beers and two coffee's, the total price was €104 plus tip. The ambiance was pleasant and much to my amazement the background music included a Nils Lofgren song never heard that in a restaurant before! It was an unhurried meal, the service was as I like it, not intrusive and none of this how was your meal sir, everything ok sir.

Very enjoyable and recommended.

• Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Dinner for 2”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

we dined here after reading some amazing reviews from TripAdvisor.

The restaurant is basically a converted front room of a lovely corner house with seating for about 20.
It is run by a husband and wife team with the front of house being run by the lady.

it is a charming setting and we sat down for dinner at about 7.45.

Now the menu is in French and Flemish. My gripe with this is that on the particular night we dined there 80% of the diners were English.
This resulted in the menu being described several times; surely easier to print it in English I thought!

The starter was a mix of Langoustine and green asparagus, very beautifully cooked with a great Jus. I was a little disappointed at the Langoustine portion given this was nearly 20 euros a plate.
My main of beef was fine but didn't strike me as a particularly quality piece of beef.

No dessert followed but we had coffee in very small cups half filled.

The atmosphere was OK but our host wasn't particularly engaging other than being interested in in how we came about finding her restaurant.

The cost at £181 Euros including a bottle of wine seemed on the high side to me.

I spent less in the Park restaurant the following evening and had a much better meal and overall experience.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank biggeorge40
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I'm generally picky and I eat out a lot but there was nothing to criticise here!

The restaurant is very pretty with some quirky and original decorative touches. The menu was in French and Flemmish and after a warm greeting we were asked if we needed a translation.

There was a great selection of dishes and it was difficult to choose because everything sounded so yummy! I had the biggest piece of foie gras I have ever seen in a restaurant followed by monkfish. Everything was beautifully presented and perfectly cooked.

I can't remember everything we had to eat and drink but I remember that I was full at the end and that the service was excellent and unhurried.

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening here and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you eat out only once in Bruges then pick Couvert.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Sorellina
London
“An amazing restaurant”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We came across Couvert when walking along a street not too far from the hotel we stayed at - Martin’s Brugge. After looking at the menu & reading about it in our guide book plus looking up reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to call up & booked a table for that night. We got the final table for that Saturday night & several people were turned away whilst we were there. So it’s well worth booking in advance.

The restaurant was full of mostly locals with only my boyfriend & myself plus another table of 4 being visitors to the city. The atmosphere was very welcoming and the front of house owner an inviting host. What noise there was in the restaurant was provided by the buzz of conversation from the tables. So if you like a venue which rocks to loud music, this is not the place for you. But, if you appreciate outstanding food, a well thought out interior and a quiet but warm & welcoming environment – this is definitely the place.

We chose the 3 course set menu with wine selected for us at 49 euros each and we both agreed it was amazing value. The quality of the food was outstanding throughout & the little extras provided such as a lovely intense amuse bouche of soup were delightful.

If you have a special occasion to celebrate whilst in Bruges we would strongly recommend Couvert.

• Visited June 2013
Hove, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My boyfriend and I were recommended this restaurant by a member of staff at the hotel we were staying at. We booked earlier in the day and were not disappointed when we arrived later. It is a tiny intimate restaurant run by a husband and wife team. The service was excellent and the wine we had was delicious despite it being towards the bottom end of their prices. The food was cooked well and they didn't mind us sharing a starter and a dessert. They also give you an amuse bouche. It is a very romantic restaurant and I would definitely go back.

• Visited May 2013