“Great food, tragically bad service.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistro Den Huzaar

Bistro Den Huzaar
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Bistro Den Huzaar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 701 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: French, Belgian, Dutch, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, tragically bad service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have been traveling through Europe for two weeks now, and we are used to slower more relaxed service that is customary in Europe, unlike the US. However, we sat for about 45 minutes with our finished plates of food waiting for them to be cleared. 4 tables that came in and ordered after us were cleared, offered dessert, served dessert during this time. When we finally, asked to have our table cleared we were rudely told she was coming to clean it (by our waitress), and then she didn't come. Eventually what appeared to be the owner came to clean the table and offer dessert. It honestly felt like we were being intentionally ignored. Everyone deserves a fair chance at an amazing experience, and I am not sure why we were denied this. Having said this, the food was good. I just feel that no one should be made to feel like they are not deserving of, at the very least, fair service

• Polish first
Taipei, Taiwan
“Delicious Set Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Quality food. A deal at 3 courses for 35 euros. The portions are quite large so be prepared or order a la carte.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Anchi L
Elgin, Illinois
“Make sure you go here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

The food here was amazing. On each side of us were other diners who told us to try the pork cheeks. We placed 2 orders and were so happy. It wad delicious. Afterward we had expresso and creme brulle. I usually skip out on desert and coffee, but I wanted to stay in the restaurant longer. It was so nice and the servers were excellent.
I did notice that after a certain time, people started leaving and new people would come in and they would send them out, and not re-seat the table.
Get there early or make a reservation. We just happened to get lucky.

Visited May 2014
Surbiton, United Kingdom
“An excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I cannot praise this restaurant enough. The service is excellent, and the waitresses are always happy. The ambience is really very very nice. But the star of the show is the food. I went to this place on my last visit to Brugge 4 years ago, and went back this time hoping that it would still be as good. IT WAS SUPERB. Top quality food is served beautifully in copper pots. Amazing looking pies are brought out with gasps of amazement and I could go on. But it doesn't stop there. Having served the food so well, you get to eat it, and it is sublime. Even better is that this place is not over priced. Spoil yourself if you are in Brugge and go there. Only tip is... You must book.

• Visited June 2014
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Absolutely delicious.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

What a find - but be warned, you need to book or you will be disappointed! The food here is terrific. Great quality, expertly cooked, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. My sister and I ate there on the first night of our stay because we just wanted steak and a bottle of wine. The steaks were large, thick and perfectly cooked, the chips, home made and crisp and the house wine of remarkably good quality. The total bill came to E50, about 40 GBP, about what we might pay at home for a similar meal in a pub. We wanted to book for Wednesday night but unfortunately they close on that day, so we decided to eat there again the following night. This time we had the set menu - what a feast! I would like to disagree with the previous reviewer, my scallops were perfectly cooked, melt in the mouth perfect; so often in Britain they are served hard and chewy, not these at the Huzaar. My sister had the terrine which was also delicious and creamy. Main courses we had lamb (perfectly cooked, tender and tasty) and pig cheeks - what a delightful surprise! I had never had them before and, to be honest, found the name a little off-putting. They were sumptuous! Rich and dark, they were more like steak-light than pork. Not fatty at al, absolutely delicious. Dessert we had chocolate mousse and the panda cotta; both delicious but by that time we were in danger of bursting! When (not if) I return to Bruges, this will again be my restaurant of choice. Excellent!

• Visited May 2014