“15th century treasure”

Ranked #5 of 231 Bruges B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“15th century treasure”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

A perfect trip to Bruges made complete by staying at the wonderfully restored Huis 't Schaep.. An amazing find with the character that you would not get in the best of five star hotels run very efficiently by our host who looked after us so well. it was perfectly located in a quiet street close to the shopping area and we would 100% recommend.to anyone visiting Bruges

Room Tip: I'm quite sure all rooms would be as nice as our room which was the Renoir Suite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheDuchessNottingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Fantastic house (beautifully restored with loads of original details) located in the center of Brugge. Visited with my wife, during a short trip. Brugge is an amazing city, this B&B completes the trip! Warm welcome by the owners, definitely coming back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WouterGaa
NooBug
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had a wonderful 3-night stay in the Renoir Suite in this stunning, unique Grade I listed building. It is brimming with gorgeous original features, which made us feel like we were staying in a museum, however with all mod cons.

The location on a quiet street with no noise is perfect for Bruges and we walked everywhere.

Service was impeccable; personal, warm, and knowledgeable. John gave us some great recommendations around the city and also taught us a lot about the fascinating history of the building. We felt extremely well looked after. Breakfast delicious and freshly made, and all our dietary requirements were carefully taken into consideration.

Our room was gorgeous with a lovely big bathroom. The only criticism we had was that the bed was just slightly too soft for our liking but this is clearly a matter of personal preference, so other people might feel differently! There is coffee and tea in the room, and in the lounge area there is a well-stocked, very reasonably-priced honesty bar which is great if you fancy a nightcap back in your room.

All in all we found this an excellent place to stay and should we return to Bruges, would definitely book at Huis 't Schaep again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank NooBug
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I've just returned from an amazing 1 night visit to Bruges in this stunning property - to call it a b&b seems an injustice. Beautiful, atmospheric, luxurious, peaceful - I wish I could have stayed longer!! John is a very helpful host and creates a very relaxing atmosphere. Together with a mind blowing dinner at Patrick Devos on Tuesday night, and Bruges itself - it was the perfect break. Completely agree with the other reviews and I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone. Also, going in February the room prices offer exceptional value for money and there is still lots to enjoy in Bruges. I needed longer in general!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rembrandt (at the back) which was very peaceful. I cant imagine the other rooms bei...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank annamend
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 3 night stay in this fabulous place and would return in a heartbeat if we could. I booked it for my boyfriend's Christmas present based on all the great reviews it's received and we were not disappointed. The house itself is just absolutely stunning, so much to look at and you can tell real love and attention to detail went in to the restoration of the place, on arrival it really does take your breath away. The owner is also very friendly and helpful and was more than happy to help advise on places to go and things to see. They also make a mean breakfast that sets you up for the day, so much so you don't really need to eat lunch. The room we stayed in was the Renoir and it was large, spacious and had an amazing bathroom with double sinks and walk in shower, bed was roomy and comfy and the room is also beautifully decorated. If you're still undecided, the location is just a stones throw from the centre of Bruges so it's really easy to get anywhere and back without any hassle. My boyfriend and I would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a top quality experience and great value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was my absolute favorite place we stayed at the end of a 14 day vacation around Europe. The owners could not have been more friendly, the rooms more comfortable, or the location in Bruges any better. The care that has gone into the renovation of this historic home is amazing. It was I as if I had stepped into a piece of history. The details were very precise and beautiful.
We didn't have any trouble sleeping, finding the common area with the beer fridge (which by the way was the best beer I have ever had from the local brewery, "Half Moon") or eating the gourmet cooked breakfast in the morning. We walked to the town square, the brewery, pubs and restaurants... everything was very close. I Can't say enough good things.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rupleyjr
Essex, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for three nights and our only regret is that we could not stay longer. Most memorable was the home's beauty and comfort and the wonderful hospitality provided by our gracious hosts, John and Rob. I hope we can return some day. It was the highlight of our trip to Europe! We recommend this B & B without any reservation. If you are going to Bruges, you MUST stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple