“Quite simply the best!”

and 1 more site!
Huis Koning
Ranked #1 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 April 2014

To get 378 'excellent' reviews (and counting) you have to be pretty good and having just stayed at Huis Koning for 4 nights, I can say that it is absolutely justified.

Lynn and Peter work so hard to make guests feel very welcome and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean, our room looked over the canal.

The breakfasts are plentiful with a choice of egg, fresh breads, croissants, cereals and juice. Guests are welcome to help themselves throughout the day with tea and coffee as well as other smaller snacks.

A very nice touch was a cake or other chocolate surprise on returning to our room in the afternoon.

Huis Koning is conveniently located in a nice quiet area but barely 10 minute walk from the main Market square.

We loved our stay, it was just a shame we had to leave!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We've never been made to feel more welcome during our stay. Rooms are beautiful, the terrace is peaceful and the hosts are super helpful to make the most of your stay in Bruges.

The breakfast is tasty and mostly home made. Nothing is to much trouble.

Five stars are not enough.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We have stayed at Huis Konig B&B hotel for 2 nights in February 2014 and were very pleasantly surprised by a wonderful service that the owners Lynn and Peter provide to their guests. There are only 3 rooms in this hotel, absolute cleanliness, very tasty breakfast with good variety to choose from which is also included in the room rate ( we never expected that in the price of just 110 euros per night). Lynn personally bakes fresh bread and pastry daily, 24 hours access to coffee machine, candlelit hall all day around and desire to be at the guest's disposal and to assist with any questions they may have. What else can one would desire from a short stay in Bruges?:) We have stayed at Huis Konig B&B hotel for 2 nights in February 2014 and were very pleasantly surprised by a wonderful service that the owners Lynn and Peter provide to their guests. There are only 3 rooms in this hotel, absolute cleanliness, very tasty breakfast with good variety to choose from which is also included in the room rate ( we never expected that in the price of just 110 euros per night). Lynn personally bakes fresh bread and pastry daily, 24 hours access to coffee machine, candlelit hall all day around and desire to be at the guest's disposal and to assist with any questions they may have. What else can one would desire from a short stay in Bruges?:) Very highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My wife and I chose to stay at Huis Koning due to its commended status in the TA. It is well deserved ! The accommodation is well located and peaceful.
This may be the case in many other accommodations , and indeed we saw many hotels located more centrally in town, but we can safely say that Huis Koning will make a good choice. Peter and Lyn are professionals who can be trusted to give you a warm welcome and a very comfortable stay.
We were given the canal view room which was adequately sized and clean.
Lyn makes poached egg seems a synch to make and it was wonderful. Together with the home made fresh bread and the jams. Breakfast is very satisfying at Huis Koning.
Thank you Lyn and your mum for the rhubarb jam !
If you are looking for an in town accommodation then this is a very good choice.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I came across Huis Koning while looking for a house to rent in the summer. I said to my wife we will have to go and stay here as I do not believe it is possible for any place to have 300 odd reviews on TA that are all 5 star. We had three nights in March 2014 and what a treat it turned out to be. Everything that is written is true. From the moment one arrives to the warm welcome and throughout ones stay every detail has been carefully attended to. The marvel is that Lyn and Peter make it look so easy!! It is very central but quiet. The breakfasts are a delight starting with a glass of orange juice squeezed as you walk into the room. The coffee machine is available 24 hours a day - and excellent quality coffee at that. The rooms and bathrooms are beautifully appointed and kept spotlessly clean. The beds very comfortable. We hired their bikes which were very good quality and well maintained. The wifi is free and fast. There is a mini bar in the room. And to cap it all Lyn puts a homemade treat in the room each day. If you are going to Bruges there is no better place to stay. We drove and left our car in a nearby parking garage (which Lyn recommended) which was so cheap I thought there had been some mistake. I know now why everyone rates this place 5 star. It is simply the best.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. We had a large room (with a very large bathroom) that faced the road but i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I traveled to Bruges back in September 2013 and I've been meaning to write this review ever since. Not because anyone asked me to (no one did), but because I haven't been able to stop thinking about Huis Koning since we got back - I've been telling everyone who will listen about it. We traveled to Amsterdam, Paris and Bruges, and Bruges was by far my favorite destination. I think that's due, in large part, to this bed and breakfast. Lynn was the consummate hostess. Similarly to other reviewers, we were greeted by her when we walked in, and she immediately sat us down to have a beer while she gave us expert advice about what to see - where to find the best chocolates, etc. It was rainy on our entire trip, but in Bruges the rain seemed magical - Huis Koning is right on the canal, and it was simply stunning, with swans floating past. Our room was impeccable, the bed was ultra comfy, and we slept better than we had for the whole trip. Lynn is an excellent baker, and every night there were two, picture-perfect baked treats waiting for us when we got home. Not to mention the breakfast spreads....absolute perfection.

Lynn rented us her bikes to ride around town, and helped us adjust them. I've never had a more magical evening - riding through the fairytale town with my husband, streets glistening from the rain...

We had to leave super-early to catch our morning train to Paris (I believe we had to leave before 6am) and so we were going to miss Lynn's spectacular breakfast. We told her not to, but she insisted on getting up early and packing us a breakfast to-go! Needless to say, we were the envy of the whole train with our homemade sweet waffles... So delicious.

Anyone going to Bruges - you have to stay there! I would move in if I could.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alyssa H
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I are seasoned travellers and do like our comforts. When I read the reviews on Tripadvisor about Huis Koning, I felt that it had to be too good to be true, but when comparing the prices of the hotels in Bruges with the reasonable rates offered by this B&B, we decided to give it a try. Well, quite honestly it's all been said before and it's all true! From the minute we arrived (2 hours earlier than we'd said!) until the minute we left, Lynn and Peter could not have done more for us. Walking into the house is like walking into an oasis of calm. Tea lights twinkle in the hallway, everything is immaculately clean and the decor is more akin to a very expensive boutique hotel. Lynn sat us down in the kitchen, gave us coffee and Belgian chocolate whilst she talked us through the 'must sees' of Bruges. She gave us excellent recommendations for restaurants (which were absolutely exquisite) and advice about opening times, what to see and do etc. She lent us a guide book, which was very helpful and we went off to experience the delights of Bruges. When we returned, weary and ready for a pre-dinner nap, our bags had been taken to our room and we found two home made chocolate mousses waiting for us in our own private mini bar. We stayed in the Augustine room which is a large king sized room with huge en-suite bathroom. The bed was so comfortable and the linen soft and cosy. The bathroom was equipped with L'Occitane bath products, which was just another example of the well-thought-through touches that Peter and Lynn provide to make your stay feel really special. The kitchen is open all the time in case you want to make yourself a cup of tea, or help yourself to the plethora of home made cakes, waffles and snacks that Lynn leaves out every day. For us, Wifi was important - this is free and high speed. The house is 5 minutes easy walk to the market square and all the sights Bruges has to offer. On one of our trips out, we passed one of the hotels that we were considering staying in and were so pleased that we didn't decide to book there. Compared to Huis Koning it was large and impersonal. Whenever we returned at the end of the day, it really did feel like coming home. The breakfasts deserve a special mention - Lynn bakes her own bread using organic flour and it tastes absolutely delicious (I've asked for the recipe!). You feel like the breakfasts are doing you good - home made muesli, fresh cheeses, hams, the delicious bread, Lynn's home made waffles, freshly squeezed orange juice (we watched her doing it!) and she'll even cook you eggs if you want them too. We have been back home for a day and I'm missing this already. You do need to understand that Peter and Lynn live in Huis Koning with their children, but quite honestly we never saw the children and they do keep themselves very separate from the rooms rented out to guests. Breakfast starts at 9am every day, I assume so Lynn can get her children breakfasted and off to school before the guests start coming downstairs. This woman is a complete domestic goddess and she's got me seriously interested in organic cooking and making the most of fresh ingredients. We drove to Bruges and managed to find a car parking space outside the Huis Koning but parking is limited to 4 hours (Lynn will give you a parking disc). We unloaded our bags and then drove to the covered parking area at the Centrum station, where 24 hours parking is 3 Euros 50. The parking ticket gives you free bus travel so we then got on a bus and went straight to the centre of Bruges. It's about a 10 minute bus ride. Very easy. So, in summary, why waste your money on an expensive, large hotel, where you will have to pay for all the added extras, when you can get this haven of perfection for half the price? All that saved money can go on a beautiful meal at De Stove or Brasserie Raymond - both places that were fabulous. We will definitely be back to Bruges and will definitely stay at the amazing Huis Koning. Thank you, Peter and Lynn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple