“Great location, not so great reception staff”

Grand Hotel Casselbergh Bruges
Ranked #12 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, not so great reception staff”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We booked this hotel for a birthday weekend in December 2011. There was a queue to check in when we arrived, after about 15 minutes we were given our room key - unfortunately our room was in the new section of the hotel and the key didn't work, so my boyfriend went back to reception to let them know (had to queue again), no apology from the reception staff and a new key was given to him. This key worked, but the room had not been cleaned since the last guest had left, it had a view onto a crumbling brick wall of a building opposite and my heart sank. We both went back down to reception, again had to queue - told the receptionist about the state of the room, again no apology but we were given a room upgrade (thankfully!) in the older section of the hotel (SO much nicer).

The communal areas of the hotel were lovely, which more than made up for the surly reception staff. We had pre-dinner drinks in the bar area every evening, sat by the fire and were given complimentary snacks while we relaxed. The bar staff were very friendly, and made us feel at home.

The hotel is in a great location, close to the Market Square and a lovely restaurant (La Petit Auberge). We had stayed in Le Tuilerieen hotel a few years prior to this last visit, and would probably stay there again rather than the Grand Casselburgh - better facilities, service and room quality.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the older / original section of the hotel, much more character and closer to the re...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cjotter323

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Beware! I booked this hotel in September based on wonderful reviews and was really looking forward to staying here. I just received an email that they can no longer honor our reservation. They bumped us! This is the year of the Floridad in Holland. Belgium and Holland are totally full. Everything is twice the price as when I booked it or sold out. Apparently they took a group in the hotel, and just kicked out our reservation. Very dirty trick. Can't rely on them!

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank CEG360
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Myself and my husband stayed in this hotel for 1 night only, when on a city-break in Belgium, back in September. We got a good deal on the Internet and all in all were very happy with our choice. We had a standard room, which may seem to be on the small side but is actually very comfortable and adequate, with traditional welcoming decor and a smallish but lovely, modern, squeaky-clean bathroom. Toiletries from L’Occitane were a great bonus.
Breakfast was good, especially the fresh breads and rolls, but it was more of a 4-star then 5-star treat - in terms of choice only, everything tasted lovely and looked great.
The biggest “pro” for this hotel is the great location - literally few metres and round the corner from the Burg Square where Town Hall is and approx. 5 minute walk from The Markt Square.
The thing we liked least was the impersonal service at check-in and in general (breakfast room staff etc). The staff were all very professional and helpful but seemed a bit stuck-up.
Breakfast and staff attitude were the only minor ‘issues’ that we noticed that they may want to work on; all in all we really enjoyed this beautiful and relaxing hotel and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justine28
Murrieta, California
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I booked 6 months ahead at this hotel and they informed me 6 weeks before my stay that they made a mistake with my reservation and are now overbooked. I am pretty sure they were not overbooked 6 months ago when I booked. They mentioned they would help me find another place but this was a busy time so I should hurry as everything is selling out for my time period. I have a strange feeling I was bumped as I was only staying 3 nights and had a special reduced room rate. I think I was scammed by giving the room to someone who was staying longer or paying full rate. Beware.......

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank sondrali
West Midlands
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in February. This is a beautiful hotel, all the staff are very pleasant and the service is very good. Our room was both spacious and spotless and I would highly recommend this hotel. However a word of warning on Bruges, the city is delightful but the prices in many of the restaurants are, in my opinion, exhorbitant so be very careful where you choose to eat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Baggieboy_9
York, UK
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was a beautiful hotel in a perfect location. Our room was in the new section of the hotel. It was a big room, with modern décor and a large bathroom that was also modern in style. The main part of the hotel (the old part) is lovely, and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The bar was a great place to have a drink before heading out for the evening. The breakfast also had a really good choice. The location of the hotel is perfect, just a few minutes from the main square. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a short break in Brugge.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have stayed in this hotel just for a night, in a nice upgrated to superior room, but I do not know why, but I was not blown away by the hotel in general. Maybe because my impression was marred by breakfast, as I had a food poisoning, as I got to know latter on that one of my work partners got a food poisoning as well, but he've got over it faster then I.

I had a superior room and it was big with impressive bathroom, where you could take a bath or a shower. The sad thing it was on the ground floor, so the view was simple. As I heard it is better to ask for a room on the 4th floor with a view of the river, as this view is very nice.

The location of the hotel is wonderful, as it is as much in the historical center as you can get. Brugge is beautiful on itself, so it is great when you cen get to main sights so fast.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business