“A grand building in a central location”

Grand Hotel Casselbergh Bruges
Ranked #12 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
England
“A grand building in a central location”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The price of this hotel exceeds the value if you are in the modern extension. When you look on line you see the attractive older section of the hotel and its canal side location was what attracted us, its a shame that whichever window we looked out of we never saw the canal. The room we had for the night was very overpriced for the size and bland modern style.I would not recommend it as I am sure there must be others with a more atmospheric and realistically priced rooms.

Room Tip: dont get the modern extension!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I loved this hotel! It was contemporary and also economical, with a substantial buffet breakfast included in our room rate.

The best part of the hotel was its convenient location, close to shopping and restaurants. When we walked out the door, we wandered into the popular chocolate shop next door. These shops are ubiquitous in Brugges, however this one, owned by a female proprietor, had a special ambiance. We sampled the home made chocolate, then bought delicious chocolate treats to bring home for our friends. Next, we went a little further and watched the horse drawn carriages parade through the square. There are tons of photo ops to take of the quaint, old buildings that make this city so special.

For dinner, we only needed to walk a very short distance to the De Vier Winden Brugge restaurant. There we had a delightful dining experience with our server Sushi. We ate mussels and drank wine in an upscale ambiance.

Since we only had one night in Brugges, this was the perfect place to stay and still get a flavor of this historical city. I highly recommend it to other first time travellers to the city.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzieintheoldpueblo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I am currently staying at the Hotel Casselbergh in Bruges. I checked in last night (Friday 21 June) and will be staying until tomorrow (Sunday 23 June). Inspired by a New York Times piece - 36 Hours in Bruges, my husband and I decided to do a weekend break & stay at the Hotel Casselbergh.
We left our room early this morning and came back around 1:30 hoping to shower and change clothes (we were still damp having walked in the rain all morning). Unfortunately, when we arrived back at our room, we realised it had not yet been cleaned. I went to the front desk to enquire about the cleaning - would it be happening today? If so, when? (I am a frequent traveler and in my experience, the room is usually tidy before 1 or 2 p.m.)

I spoke with Ann at the front desk who told me (in a defensive, almost shouty way) that the priority is to clean all of the rooms of those who've checked out at 11 before cleaning the rooms of the guests who are currently staying in the hotel. Furthermore, according to Ann, the cleaning staff have until 4 p.m. to clean the rooms so they're still well within their time limits to finish cleaning. I felt that the subtext of her message was that it was rude of me to even ask about such things. Here I am, standing in wet clothes, just trying to figure out how to plan my day and wondering if/when the cleaners will come to the room and I get a rude, unfriendly response.

The poor customer service of the staff at Hotel Casselbergh (Ann) has made my day in Bruges less enjoyable and has certainly negatively effected my view of the Hotel Casselbergh.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Maryjane B
Reigate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We stayed in June 2013 for a long weekend. We arrived early and intended to just drop our bags off, but our room was ready so we were able to check in early which was good. The room was very nice with all the amenities you would expect. The whole hotel is finished to a very high standard, the bar is great too; the only downside here was the service was slow and on occasion the bar was unmanned. Breakfast was delicious with a wide selection and served till 10.30 so we were able to have a lay in, always appreciated on holiday. My husband had a slight niggle with the low wifi signal we had in our room, we were on the top floor and wifi in communal areas was fine. Location is good just 2 minutes from the central square an Belfry. All in all it was a great hotel and if we return to Bruges we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed in a unique room that had a loft and with exposed beams and looked out on the street below. The public areas of the hotel are very nice. Great location that is close to the main square. Negatives: When we arrived around 10 p.m. on a Friday we had traveled all day from Munich and wanted to just relax with a drink in the hotel bar. Well, the bar was packed and they had only one bartender. The front desk clerk came over to help for a brief time but had to return to the desk. When it came turn for our order, the overworked bartender moved to a customer who just arrived so we literally had to yell to say WE were next and had been waiting quite a while. Note to the hotel - staff up at the bar during peak hours. Also for those sleeping in the "loft" the walls were pretty thin and could hear people in adjacent rooms. Minor negative was that I kept hitting my head on one of the exposed beams that ran right next to the wall by the bed. D'oh! Really just my clumsiness but I learned my lesson after the third time. :) Oh and note about Bruges in general. If you are there on a weekend, MAKE DINNER RESERVATIONS before you get there. Most of the restaurants are small and book up.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My 18 year old daughter and I arrived at the Hotel after a trouble free journey via Eurostar. We had been up since 4:30am, but we soon forgot how tired we were as soon as we saw our beautiful room at the Casselbergh Hotel. The room had the most amazing candelabra over the bed and a memory foam mattress. We have the best nights sleep ever. The bathroom was spacious and well fitted, spotlessly clean. Power Shower and Sunken Bath. We only stayed for 2 nights but I am so glad we chose this hotel. The breakfasts we had were VIP Champagne Breakfasts as we had booked through Secret Escapes. Food was all excellent, staff polite and helpful, provided us with a map of all the attractions. Mini Bar not over expensive, ...all that you could want. The hotel had lots of facilities that we didn't take advantage of. The position of this hotel makes it perfect for seeing all the attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank crawleylady
Istanbul
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Perfect Hotel, perfect experience, perfect staff.Stayed for just one night, but I regret it because I would have liked to stayed more and enjoyed it more.Would like to go back to beautiful Brugges and definitely would stay in this beautiful hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a river view room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple