“A wonderful haven of tranquility”

Grand Hotel Casselbergh Bruges
Ranked #12 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here for three nights in August 2014. What can I say? The Casselbergh is a subtly grand, peaceful haven from which to hide from the hordes. From the moment you step in, you are looked after and immediately feel relaxed. We were upgraded to a deluxe room in the original part of the building and it was just beautiful, with its crystal chandelier and mountains of space. Pure heaven. The public areas were lovely, clean and relaxing. I can't recommend this place enough. There was a Trainee working in the hotel, both on reception and bar called Femke (I think). She was just brilliant. Exceptionally helpful, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. She took a keen interest in her job and in the experience of the guests, and really was brilliant. She deserves a bonus this year, it is not often that you get such exceptional service. I would highly recommend the Grand Casselbergh. The only issue was that there was no restaurant, this would really have made tho hotel faultless.

Room Tip: We had 1107/1110 and they were both spectacular.
1  Thank Laura_Allen1989

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This impressive hotel in such a convenient location, does not disappoint. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Refreshing showers backed up with a first class breakfast to suit all tastes,
provide a sound base for a short break.

Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TDerekA
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Lovely hotel , stayed in a room in older section , just wonderful.
Very well located,walking distance to center of the city and to best attractions and sights.
I would get angry if a friend of mine didn´t consider booking there and decided to stay somewhere else .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Miguel L
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Quite a comfortable hotel with good rather spacious room. Excellent bathroom with separate bath and shower. Somewhat boring colours beige/brown. Excellent breakfast buffet with comfortable seatings. Very nice bar and adjoining comfortable salons, seating areas with nice chairs and couches. Very well located in centre of pittoresque Bruges. Underground garage with lift at attractive prices, which comes in handy when travelling by car.
Friendly helpful staff. No restaurant, but no big deal as many restaurants are around the corner. Nice to have a room looking on the river. Vey quite.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

First, this is a beautiful hotel and our suite in the old section was beautiful. That said, the service and amenities were very disappointing. I would give zero stars for service, except for a very helpful older gentleman at the front desk who helped us with a dinner recommendation. The younger women at the front desk basically told us to take it or leave it with every request. I have three examples:
1. There are no down pillows in the hotel- none. I asked and was told no accommodation could be made. I reported that our pillows were lumpy or very hard and she told me all the rest of the hotel pillows were the same.
2. There is no cappuccino machine in the hotel. When I inquired, I was told they could bring me warm milk to put into my coffee, and then did not bring it.
3. This is my absolute favorite: there are no washcloths in the hotel. When I asked for one, the lady gave me directions for the Inno department store on Steenstraat, where I could buy my own. I actually went and bought two, which cost me €4 each. It only took me 15 minutes to walk there and 15 minutes to walk back. I checked whether they stocked down pillows while I was there, but they did not.

I noticed that the room did not have an iron or ironing board, but at least I saw a note in the book which indicated I could request one, but I was afraid of what the front desk would say if I called.

Considering how excited I was to stay in this hotel, I cannot wait to leave tomorrow. Reserve this hotel if you like a lovely decor, but don't expect good service or basic amenities one would expect with a hotel of this reputation or price point.

Ps, no turndown service, no newspapers and certainly no Belgian chocolates on the lumpy pillow.

Room Tip: The older section rooms are quite beautiful.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Baptist B, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Casselbergh Bruges, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Madam, Sir

Thank you for your review on Grand Hotel Casselbergh on Tripadvisor.

I see that you were a little disappointed in our service and amenities. Please let me clarify some things for you.

First of all, we do not provide down pillows in the hotel because of not being very hygienic. This will also be the case in 95% of the hotels in Belgium.

Next, I would like to point out that we provide coffee and tea services in the room but we do not foresee rooms with their own cappuccino machines. A cappuccino could be brought up, when ordering it through room service.

Daily multilingual newspapers are provided downstairs in the lobby area.

At least I would like to mention that wash cloths are ‘not done’ in European hotels. It is probably a local habit?

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is centrally located and the rooms are clean and spacious. The staff are cheerful and helpful and the public rooms are more akin to a country mansion with chandeliers and very comfortable seating. The bar provides a varied selection of drinks and in particular well priced beers. Breakfast is a feast with hot and cold buffet and substantial selection for all tastes. An excellent base to explore Bruges.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part are quiet but not in a noisy area anyway
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Could not fault a thing with this hotel...great location, close to everything on foot. Clean well kept, the bathroom was gorgeous. We didn't eat here so I could not recommend the food but otherwise it was great.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple