“Mellow Spot for a Beer and a Bite to Eat”
Review of De Republiek

De Republiek
Ranked #239 of 734 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This place was actually recommended to me by the concierge at my hotel when I told him we were looking for a super mellow place to grab a beer, and what a great recommendation it was! My husband and I (both 30-somethings) went with my 60-something parents in the early evening for some beers and a small bite to eat, and we all really enjoyed this place. Great beer selection, typical bar food, great service, more locals than tourists... really couldn't have asked for a more relaxed and enjoyable evening.

2  Thank Julie L
There are newer reviews for De Republiek

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stumbled across this location as it was opposite our hotel..... Happy hour caught our attention.... Had a few drinks here, much cheaper than the bars in the main square.

2  Thank Jeanpiitt123
Reviewed 13 January 2014

oh where do i start?

The bad: You could blink and walk past it. It needs to have something outside to be better noticed.

The Good: The minute you walk in the smell of hot delicious food was enough to make me want to order everything off the menu. The range of beers on offer was incredible. There is an outdoor area at the back where the sun hits towards the end of the day (but i didnt sit out there .. It was december. Too cold but I'd imagine it would be gorgeous in the summer). Food was, in the words of Joey Essex "glumtious"

1  Thank Brian O
Reviewed 31 December 2013

An ideal place for a drink, in winter and in summer. But I would not recommend food, what you get is not what you asked for and there are big questions about the hygiene. It could be so much more...

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We didn't eat, we just stopped in for a beer. It's a barn of a place, but the decor and atmosphere are unpretentious and attractive and the overall effect is surprisingly cosy. There is a typically good selection of typically excellent Belgian bottled beers. The place has a reputation for being noisy, but when we went in the afternoon, it was busy without being heaving and it was perfectly possible to chat quietly. Very enjoyable.