“Great food and fantastic service”
Review of Cookie's

Cookie's
Ranked #263 of 744 Restaurants in Bruges
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Visited here last night, a real gem hidden down an alley. Food was brilliant a great selection tapas, with a fantastic wine selection. Service was attentive with a smile. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Last week we dined at Cookies in Bruges. The food itself was very good, but the attitude of I assume the manager was in our opinion very poor.
We booked the table for 8pm and arrived shortly before to be taken upstairs to a room with about 10 tables, mixtures of 2’s and 4’s.
We decided on the tapas and ordered 5 different options, after about 10/15 minutes the first 2 tapas came.
We had talked about if the food was good of booking for the next evening, but this changed as we then waited until about 20 past 9 for the 3rd and 4th tapas to appear.
During this wait I had tried, without success, to get the waitresses attention, she was on her own and was continuously up and down the stairs, in the end I was on my way down to find out what the problem was when our ribs appeared followed by potato bravas.
After we had finished these we waited another 10/15 minutes for the final tapas to arrive, the waitress then came to our table and asked if we wanted anything else. We said we hadn’t had the last item and she went away. Another ten minutes passed with no food or response from the waitress, by this time it was going on ten o’clock we felt we had been patient long enough so I found the waitress and said we wanted to pay. She pointed us down stairs so we walked down and asked for the bill.
The bill was given to me and I queried the fact they had charged us for the 5th tapas which we hadn’t had and, we had pointed this out to the waitress. He said the kitchen had made it and it had been taken upstairs, when I again told him we hadn’t had it I got the impression he didn’t believe me. I them mentioned that the service had been, in our opinion, very slow. He countered this by saying the ribs took 35 minutes to prepare which I accept, but from the time we ordered at ten past eight to them appearing at twenty past nine, doesn’t stack up as this is an hour and ten minutes.
Then the chef came out and again said she the ribs took thirty five minutes etc. etc. and she was by herself in the kitchen and had been very busy, this was in no way an apology based on the tone of her voice.
The manager then started saying seemingly sarcastically, ‘you are tourists and you should take your time and shouldn’t be in a rush!’ I appreciate we are tourists, but we are also paying customers and it was uncalled for to talk to us in this manner.
Our point would be is, they know how many bookings they have and numbers to expect, so plan the evening by ensuring enough personnel are on duty. It would have been courteous if the waitress had pointed out the kitchen was busy and there could be a delay, but this never happened.
It is difficult to mark, but as a restaurant and for food I would give 4 stars, as pointed out previously the food was very good, but for attitude I am struggling to give them any.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Cookie's is a hidden gem -- literally! It's located down a narrow alley way with an easy to miss sign located on a street between the Markt and the Burg Square. Thinking Cookie's was a sign for a bakery, we wandered down the alley to find an intriguing tapas menu. Although we had planned to dine elsewhere that evening, we were drawn inside by the menu and the charm of the rustic, old alley side building.
Seated at a table for four in an upstairs alcove, we had a view of both the downstairs bar and the small, second floor dining room. We noted that all tables were filled within 10 minutes of our arrival and felt sure we had stumbled on a hidden gem.
We selected six varied tapas dishes and each dish was remarkable, fresh and flavorful. Our server was outstanding as well. She was attentive and friendly, and even taught my sister a few Flemish phrases to describe the dishes and my delightful wine.
In all, a plentiful meal for four with Belgian beers and wine (2 rounds each) was less than 100 euros! An outstanding value!!!
We are so glad Cookie's lured us down an alley less traveled!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We saw the sign for this restaurant on a chalkboard between two sweet shops situated between The Burg and the main Markt, and wandered down the alley. The place was so busy and full of fun, wonderful energy. Our waitress was a doll, and we met Cookie himself who operates the bar and keeps things running smoothly. His wife is the chef and each dish we had and shared was exceptional. I don't usually like Spanish tapas much, but these were spectacular. We had a few of the specials of the day which were our favorites. A spicy chicken dish was my favorite. And the prices were very reasonable. We had a blast there and highly recommend this place!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We got in to eat here on the 2nd attempt, after reading some good reviews on TripAdvisor. Apart from being small and filling quickly (hence a need to book), it is difficult to find. Follow the directions here - or use a good GPS / mapping package (Google maps took us to the wrong place!)

The food is tapas. And we just went with the chefs selection of the day; then got fussy and had a substitution made - just trying to avoid one of the items that causes some tummy troubles. This being difficult on our part caused no trouble at all.

The food came quite quickly, and each small dish turned up just before we finished the previous - so we ended up with a bit of a collection - which again is not problem at all.

The quality of everything was excellent - this is one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Could not fault it.