“Great value hotel for a weekend stay”

Hotel Ibis Budget Brugge Centrum Station
Ranked #52 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Picked this as we had 7 of us all wanting to avoid snoring and it worked a treat. Each room had a double bed and some have a bunk but ample space for 1. TV (with UK channels), free wifi and enough space to sleep in when you are heading into town for most of the day. Location wise right by the station which makes dropping off bags when you arrive easy.

For the price an absolute bargain.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Quality correct price.
A bit hard mattress.
A small cupboard would be absent.
Done in the service of restaurant is absent.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I was travelling to Brugge by myself for 2 nights and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a hotel. I knew I wouldn't be spending a ton of time in my hotel room, so my main criteria was that the hotel was clean and safe. This hotel fit the bill perfectly.

I was arriving my train late at night and travelling by myself, so it was important for me to know that I could easily get to my hotel. This hotel is literally right at the train station, so I didn't need to worry about cabs or rolling my suitcase through cobblestone streets in the dark. When I got off the train, I saw the hotel's neon sign right across the platform, which was such a relief - I hate being that tourist who has to get out the map and show that I don't know where I'm going. I exited the train station and rolled my suitcase towards the sign. The only thing that was a bit confusing was that the sign you can see from the train platform actually leads you to a back door of the hotel, which is locked. I was confused for a moment, worried that this was one of these hotels where there's no one at the desk after 9pm, but then I realized there was an intercom button, which I pushed, and the door buzzed open. I just had to take the elevator 1 floor up to reception. If I had gone around the front side of the building, I probably would have found the real entrance, but following the neon sign worked as well.

Once in the hotel, the lobby was busy with guests returning from a night out at the bars. It was definitely a younger crowd, but not overly rowdy. The lobby has vending machines, which are great for grabbing a quick snack. The reception clerk gave me a map to the city and instructions for getting into my room. Instead of a room key/card, each room as a number pad on the door with a 6-digit code that you type to get into the room. Be sure to guard that piece of paper with the passcode closely because it also has your room number on it, giving anyone who sees it access to your room. I'm paranoid about safety, so I actually wrote the passcode on a separate sheet of paper, which didn't have my room number on it, and that's what I carried around in my purse during my trip. I suppose you could also just memorize the 6-digit code, but after a few Belgian beers, this doesn't seem like the most efficient strategy.

The room itself was small and sparse, and for a moment, I was slightly horrified, but then I remembered that I was only paying 55 euros a night, so what the heck was I expecting? Upon closer inspection, it was quite clean, the bed was actually really comfortable, and despite all of the guests in the lobby, I couldn't hear any noises from adjacent rooms or the hallway. So all in all, I couldn't really ask for anything more. The room faced the train station, so there were some minor noises from the trains coming in and out, but nothing more than you woud hear if you were staying in a urban hotel with street noise. The shower had and LED shower head, which was kind of cool. And, you can control all of the lights in your room from a touch pad above the bed. Not only do you have overhead lights and a bedside reading light, but there's also what I'll call a "nightlight" setting. I don't really know how to describe it other than that there's a tube of dim light that runs along the wall of the room that you can leave on to guide to to the bathroom in the middle of the night or just leave on for a slightly "lounge-y" feel to the room - mood lighting, I suppose.

Overall, I had a really good stay in this hotel. Despite my initial reaction to the room, it really grew on me - I have to appreciate the thought that went into providing budget accomodation with all the necessesities. For example, if you look at the pictures online, you'll see that the sink is kind of in the center of the room with a long mirror above it, which at first glance is kind of weird, but then you realize it's a double sided mirror with a table on the other side of it (facing the bed), which can serve as a make-up table. The room also has a fullsized mirror on the wall. The lights were pretty cool, and you have TV, plus you have your own bathroom. Pretty good for 55 euros. Finally, you're only a 10 minute walk from the center of town. The town is safe, and it's a pretty walk. So, if you're on a budget, this is a fantastic option. Why pay more if you don't have to?

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Laura R
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in August 2012. We arrived by train and left by train and were on a tight budget, therefore this hotel was an absolute no brainer. It's practically in the train station it's so close to it, the view from our room was of the train station itself but we couldn't hear any noise from it at all. It is also very close to the centre of Bruges; Minnewater Lake is only a couple of minutes walk away and walking north from there you're really in the "Historic Centre of Bruges" already as the centre of Bruges really isn't that large. The room itself is basic but very clean, the beds are comfortable, the only problem is that the bathroom is basically part of the room with a shower (albeit with an opaque screen covering you) and sink in the middle of the room; the sink is actually quite cool really. The toilet is not great as the door doesn't shut/lock properly as there is no handle mechanism on it and the door also doesn't reach the floor or ceiling. The breakfast is nice with a decent variety of food but I don't recall there being anything cooked available; this costs 7.50EUR extra per person, per night but even with this included the hotel is still good value. Reception staff are very helpful, there's no hairdryer in the room but we asked for one at reception and with a 10EUR deposit (which you of course get back on returning it) they're more than happy to give you one. In summary, I'd definitely book this hotel again. Yes it's basic but it's very clean, actually quite cool, the location is impossible to better if you're travelling by train and for this price, you don't expect 5* luxury.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The Ibis Budget is very close to the station and around 10 mins walk into the city centre. Reception staff were helpful and check in was easy. Our room was simple, clean, modern and what we expected. We were very impressed. A double/twin room would only be suitable if you know the person you are staying with well, as the shower is in the main room so not very private. Excellent price, location and standard of room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This hotel is more or less exactly as advertised.
It's convenient, cheap and clean.
The rooms are quite small, but ours had a bunk bed which ended up being a convenient enough place for our suitcases.
The bathroom is essentially non existent - the toilet is basically in a stall (that doesn't close to the ceiling - a bit odd) and the sink is tiny and basically part of the room.
But the room looked brand new and kind of cool, and it was absolutely spotless. In fact, the whole hotel had a feeling of being scrubbed to a polish.
It is really convenient to be so close to train station - and we didn't hear any noise from it.
And it's only about a 15 minute walk to the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

the hotel is well placed at the station and close to the historical city center (walking distance). the hotel has been recently remodeled, the rooms are small but clean and updated. very good service for the price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business