“Charming hotel, charming staff”

Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotel
Ranked #10 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 3 May 2012

As others have said this is a centrally located hotel and yet it is quiet. We were initially given a room which went off the breakfast room, so that the bathroom was located on the ground floor and you had to go up a long flight of stairs to the bedroom which whilst spacious overlooked a courtyard. We asked to be given another room and without hesitation were offered one of the Ralph Lauren suites which should have cost more but they honoured the price of the other deluxe room we had booked. This was all done with considerable grace and charm but we did feel that the limitations of the first room should have been pointed out at the time of booking as we would have immediately asked for another room had we knowm.

However, we did feel that both rooms were decorated in a very old-fashioned, '80's style (lots of red, tartan and chintz!) with a tiny bathroom in the suite. I note that neither room features on the website. The lounge and bar area are done in a shabby chic style with lots of nice touches.

Breakfast is served with great charm, although personally we were not fans of the scrambled egg mixture with bacon etc stirred in - it was really more of an omelette. However, all in all we enjoyed our stay and the hotel staff more than made up for some of the quibbles about the rooms and their situation and decor.

Room Tip: Check out which room you are getting and ask for pictures!
2  Thank bw27
There are newer reviews for Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotel

Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I recently spent four nights in Bruges at the Pand Hotel. Bruges is a lovely town and the Pand is in a perfect location in a quiet street but just yards away from the canal, and one of the main docking points for the canal tours, and just minutes away from the Burg and Markt squares. We were staying in one of the Ralph Lauren suites on the top floor. I thought the room was charming and nicely decorated but my husband thought that it was too small. It certainly is not what I would normally term as a suite. However having said that the hotel like many in Bruges is an old house where the rooms are small (the life only takes two to three people) and perhaps because we were on the top floor it was smaller than some of the others. The bathroom on the other hand was spacious with two sinks and a jacuzzi bath. My only small complaint with the bedroom was that there was not enough storage space for our clothes and we ended leaving some in our case for the duration of our stay. The staff were very pleasand and helpful particularly Ignace in the breakfast room who seemed to be able to speak to everyone in their own language. We had breakfast on the morning after we arrived and the morning we left and I would recommend that anyone staying here have breakfast at least once in the hotel as it was excellent. We had arrived by train and a taxi from the station cost approx 8 euros. Bruges is very busy duriing the day with day trippers who seem to arrive around 10 in the morning but most are usually gone by 6pm, but you just have to walk a couple of blocks from the main areas to get away from the crowds. Bruges is also a "foodie" heaven. Apart from the chocolate shops there are many very good restaurants some of which seem to be very busy in the evenings with locals.
We would recommend "Den Dyver" and the "Pergola Cafe Restaurant" which is part of the Swaene Hotel but there are many to chose from and the hotel has a list of recommended ones. I would recommend the hotel although it was expensive for what it was, but just don't expect large rooms.

32  Thank Patricia186487
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed in Pand hotel for two nights last May. Undoubtedly is one of the most beautifully decorated hotels we have stated.

Location: Great location, in a quite street few steps away from the historic market place.

The hotel: a boutique hotel decorated with exceptional taste. Every corner is cared very well. The reception, living room, bar, Kitchen is all places you want to spend time in discovering them.

The staff: Very helpful, and very kind, especially the kitchen staff.

Room: We state in Ralph Lauren junior suite, a spacious room with antique furniture and books, fireplace, large bed with canopy and bathroom with Jacuzzi.

Breakfast: very nice with farm products nicely cooked.

We absolutely visit again

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

When we arrived by taxi from the station we were told by the driver that the Pand was the best hotel in Bruge. I cannot speak for any other hotels but from the evidence of our 2 night stay I would agree, if I had the chance to go back to Bruge I would stay here again. As others have said the rooms are small and bathrooms compact. I shared with my sister and at no time felt cramped. The breakfast was a real treat, relaxed and very efficient, nothing was too much trouble. The champagne was a lovely touch. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and seemed to be genuinely sorry to see us go. Location is perfect very close to everything but almost silent at night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sophie040
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My mother and I stayed for 4 nights at the Pand Hotel arriving on Easter Monday. It was my mother's third stay at the Pand Hotel and my first visit.

The hotel is on a peaceful street literally 100 metres from the hustle and bustle of the historic centre of Bruges. All the major sights are within 5 or 10 minutes walk , including the Markt & Burg. The Groeninge Museum is also a very pleasant canal-side stoll away as are many of other museums.

I have to agree with some of the other reviews which mention the size of the rooms. We were in a twin "Charming" (ie basic) room and it was a bit of a squeeze. However it must be remembered that the hotel is in an old building right in the historic centre of town where space is obviously limited. The owners have made the most of the available space and the room had everything you would expect in a hotel in this category, however I would personally have less furniture in the room, especially the desk which takes up vital suitcase storage space. I personally felt the space trade-off was worth it,to be in such a lovely building in such a nice location. But it is something people who are larger than average may need to consider.

Those with mobility problems be warned, the lift, bar and sitting rooms are at the top of 4 or 5 stone stairs and the lift is pretty small. We fitted with our cases, just about and neither we or the cases are large.

The building has been nicely extended at the rear to provide a beautiful light and bright breakfast room overlooking a lovely peaceful courtyard. The breakfast itself is lovely and includes champagne every morning which is certainly a nice touch. The selection of cereals caters for most tastes, cornflakes, museli etc but is limited in choice. There is a lovely freshly prepared fruit salad with natural yoghurt and raspberry coulis available, as well as bananas and kiwi fruit for those who want to make their own fruit salad creation or just to eat a piece of fruit!

A plate of ham and cheese together with a selection of savoury and sweet breads and pastries are brought to the table by Ignace the very nice waiter. Ignace also takes the order for hot food and also prepares it on the wonderful aga in the breakfast room. I would recommend his scrambled eggs with chives and bacon... delicious!

When we were there the breakfast was €17pp, normally €22pp. Was reasonable value at €17 but not at €22.

What is great value is the "coffee-break" at €5pp. Coffee arrives with an array of beautiful homemade biscuits as well as a tiny chocolate mousse, which is a lovely treat. We had that several times both in the bar and in one of the sitting rooms and decided the comfy couches in the sitting room was our favourite location.

I wish the hotel offered a day-time menu, it would be lovely to head back for a snack at lunchtime and a bit of relaxation in the sitting rooms before heading out for more sight seeing.

There is a small and very pleasant bar with a chess board and reading materials and drinks can be ordered from reception.

Speaking of reception. We were very well looked after by all the front of house people who gave us great recommendations for lovely bistros in tiny tucked-away places which no tourist would ever find, to booking restaurant tables, ordering taxis, providing directions etc.

The quality of food is Bruges is good and although on the pricey side, does provide good value for what you get. The other great thing about Bruges is that the more boisterous element don't know it exists and long may that continue!

One tip for museum junkies, make sure you get the Bruges combi ticket which lasts for 3 days. It costs €12 (which included a special discount for residents of the Pand Hotel, they give you vouchers at check-in) and it is great value as a lot of the larger museums are €8 each.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicola D
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at the Pand hotel recently for a 3 night trip to Bruges. While researching where to stay I was surprised by how many of the hotels were of the boutique style. The only larger one I found was the Kepinski which I might have chosen, except for the fact that it looked a fair distance away from the heart of the town on the location map (it wasn't.) I have to declare that i am definately not a fan of small hotels. Some may like the quaint, quirky and compact feel. I just find them claustrophobic and lacking in scale. So my review therefore should probably be looked at with this in mind.

The hotels location is perfect. Only a short walk to the town centre, and in a very quiet area. We stayed in one of their junior suites, at a reduced price of around 600 euros for 3 nights. I think at this price it represented fair value, but not at the advertised usual rate. The room itself would no doubt appeal to the usual clientele of boutique hotels but I found it a little on the small side and quite cluttered, almost as if they had tried too hard to fill it with "interesting" furniture and bits and pieces to justify the description given to it. Having said that, my wife quite liked it. The bathroom was fine apart from the squeeze by the toilet. If you're a larger guest you might struggle. It was also a bit of a rigmarole to get to the room. Up and down stairs or take 2 lifts, so this would be a definate concern for the less nimble guest. My only serious concern though was the bed. It was so uncomfortable, and the pillows were very small, and square which for a hotel that bills itself as a luxury venue is not on. I know hoteliers always respond to guests on tripadvisor by saying you should have told us, and I do, but in this instance they could hardly change the bed/matress and all the pillows were the same so I chose not to complain.

The hotel has a delightful little bar served by the reception staff, or at night by a lovely chap, Luc. Unfortunately we didn't meet anyone when we used it, and it therefore didn't have any atmosphere which is a shame. There are 2 adjoining public rooms which are very comfortable with a large selection of reading material supplied.

Breakfast left us with mixed feelings. It isn't cheap (although there was a special rate when we stayed) and I still can't decide if it represented value or not. It was though a thoroughly pleasant affair with a charming waiter looking after the guests. There was champagne on offer along with the fruit juices, and a rather limited help yourself choice of cereals. The waiter brought the cold meat and cheese and there was a good selection of breads etc. Seconds were encouraged, so those with a larger appetite wouldn't need to feel greedy! The only downside was that the cooked offer appeared to be chopped up bacon, mushroom etc incorporated with the scrambled eggs. Although I prefer a buffet type of breakfast, where I decide how much or little of something I have, I would still recommend it because of the very relaxed and comfortable experience.

The staff were very helpful and friendly, although one was a little prickly at times, and all were more than willing to help with directions, recommendations etc. Overall, we were made to feel valued guests by staff who had all been with the hotel for some time.

The hotel has been the subject of various awards and accreditations, but without wishing to be mean I don't understand why. Sure its very clean and in an excellent location with decent staff, but so are lots of hotels. The Pand doesn't have that USP to make it one of the best 100 in Europe, among other accolades its received, and, in my opinion, needs to offer a more comfortable sleeping experience at least, to be considered up there with the best.

Notwithstanding all the above, if you like boutique hotels (and a very firm bed) I can't think why you wouldn't enjoy a stay at the Pand. I've given it 3/5 but would prefer to make it 3.5/5

Room Tip: ask for largest you can afford
64  Thank Jewelleryjohn
lynevanhaecke, General Manager at Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

I have read wih much interest yor review about The PAND Hotel, which is overall a very positive review and a very honest review.
The only thing is , as you gave the answer yourself, that you are not a fan of small boutique hotels and that your comments should be read in this mind ( as you mentioned yourself literally).
You possibly do not know that Bruges is quite exceptionnal for its hotels.
Since Bruges is a city , where history still is alive today, old mansions have survived and testimony of the rich historic heritage of Bruges.
That 's the reason why most of the hotels are situated in these typical, characteristic mansions.
This is exactly the reason why guests choose for a smaller hotel that correspnds to the medieval character of Bruges, so that they are emerged completely in history, still with all the facilities and services of a 21st C hotel deluxe.
You are right that in such a hotel there is no such a huge hall and elevator going up to the 10 th floor , since it is not allowed tobuild higher than 3 or 4 floors in Bruges.
Everything is "small scale, human scale".

I understand that the room and bathroom were excellent, except for the mattress tha was too hard.If you had mentioned we would have given you a topper( that is allways available), so that you would have been more comfortable.; however , most people do not want a soft mattress because of their back.
The pillows have the size of 60x60, so a normal size.

You said the bar was delightful, but that you were alone.
Our hotel bar is very cosy , intimate and for the guests' privacy only meant for the guests of the hotel. So, we do not have loud groups entering and spoiling the romantic atmosphere.

You said that breakfast was a very pleasant, relaxed affair, where eggs are cooked according to your wishes in front of you opn the Aga cooker. I understand that you prefer to decide yourself how much bacon you add to your eggs, but do you realize that the bacon from the chafing dishes on the buffet are prepared at 5 h in the morning and are kept on hold and that the eggs are egg-powder. We prefer a healthy breakfast, where everything is prepared at the ultimate minute, with natural products. We prefer slow food to fast food.

Dear Madam, dear sir, I do appreciate your sincere comments very much because they will help to understand our future guests to understand our hotel vision

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed here for two nights the end of March and liked it (not loved it, but liked it). The staff was extremely helpful, pleasant and made great recco's for dinner and bikes and shopping and even helped me a lot with my parking. The room was small and the bathroom so tiny it was uncomfortable but i'd still recco the place.

Room Tip: ask for a large room and you may get it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple