“Fantastic hotel”

NH Brugge
Ranked #35 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We booked the NH Brugge (through a deal with Eurostar) after being recommended by my parents who adore the place and its fantastic pool. Arriving by train, this hotel proved to be in an ideal location, both quick and easy to get to from the station (it took approximately 10-15 minutes). The hotel is also just a short walk from the Markt and is located on 't Zand square, another great place for restaurants and its Saturday flea market.

The hotel was charming and upon our arrival, we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who couldn't be more helpful. She also provided maps and brochures upon hearing it was our first time in Brugge. The hotel itself is charmingly quaint and has a fairly oldy worldy feel to it with suits of armour in the foyer and beautiful fireplaces. We upgraded to a deluxe room as it was my bithday and were not disappointed- our room was large, with the most comfortable (and HUGE) bed i have slept in in a very long time. Bathroom was spotlessly clean and the shower had a fair bit of strength on it.

Two other points worth mentioning regarding this place. First off was the Sunday late check out at 5pm. We were delighted at not having to rush off by 11am! Secondly, the sheer politeness and courtesy of the staff and services of the hotel. We were in no hurry over the weekend and enjoyed a very late lie-in on the Saturday after popping our "do not disturb sign" onto the door. Rather than knock and disturb, the staff called to say that when we were ready to have our rooms serviced, just let them know so that they could ensure it was done before our return that evening. After staying in hotels where, regardless of the door sign, the maids still come in after a certain hour, this small gesture was rather touching.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip-despite the terrible weather- and this beautiful hotel played a great part in that!

Room Tip: Definately worth the upgrade to the deluxe rooms!
3  Thank MissWelshBackpacker
Write a ReviewReviews (2,478)

Reviewed 2 September 2012

I've stayed here before and the hotel is great , but this time they exceeded themselves . When we turned up , they didn't have my booking , but as it turned out I had booked it for the next day . The hotel was full and they only had a suite available at far too much for me to pay , but Julie on reception was fantastic , she managed to transfer my booking and for a small supplement we were given the suite , which was amazing . Julie really helped me out of real problem and I am so appreciative of her helpfulness . Definitely will stay here again

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank JungleTurner
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We booked the NH Brugge at the last minute directly via their website (it was cheaper than the comparison websites). The hotel is an old monastery which has been converted to a hotel, so still retains some of the original features.

The hotel is located slightly out of the main centre of Bruges but is conveniently located near the train and bus stations, which is why we chose it. It's a short (10-15 minute) amble to the main square of Bruges which is well worth a visit, although the hotel is actually located on another square, which has bars, restaurants and a tourist information office. 5-10 minutes walk away in the other direction is the train station with regular services to Antwerp, Brussels and beyond - look out for special deals on the trains which don't come up on the automatic ticket machines (Brussels 7.5 euros return!)

On check-in, the staff really were some of the most friendly staff I have met at a hotel. We arrived very early but they managed to find us a vacant room so we didn't need to store our luggage.

The room itself was well-kept, clean and well maintained but it was showing signs of age and would benefit from a refurbishment in the near future. Having said that, for a couple of nights, it was more than adequate and I would stay here again.

Free Wifi is included in the price for every room which is handy for researching where to go and what to do. Good signal everywhere in the hotel, including the rooms.

There is a gym and a nice garden in the hotel.

Breakfast is included and served a purpose. The waiting staff were great and very friendly but the food itself was a little disappointing. You won't go hungry or get food poisoning, but other hotels I've stayed at have a better range.

There is a luggage room for when you do check-out so you don't need to worry about carting bags around before your flight or ferry.

I would stay here again when visiting Bruges.

2  Thank richeep
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We had a 3- night stay there- a special rate with our Eurostar tickets. A very comfortable room- good tea and coffee facilities. Instant hot water in the bathroom and good shower. Breakfast was included and it was fab. Fresh fruit, yoghurts, cheeses, meats, a wide variety of breads and pastries, cereal, cooked breakfast- drinks. Buffet style and could defo keep you going until lunch time. Easy walk from train station ( 10-15 mins) and easy walk to town centre. Staff very friendly and helpful. We had a couple of drinks in the bar in the evening and bartender was very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

1  Thank suth55
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Just got back from a mini cruise and stayed at this hotel for the one night we were there. Thought it was great, first time we've been to Bruge and found the hotel easily, it's in a great position an easy walk to the main square. The staff were friendly and helpful and let us check in when we arrived which was about 10.30am which was great as we'd just expected to leave our stuff until we could check in later. Rooms were really comfy, had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was a bit pricey so we just went into the city were there are plenty of places to eat with the bonus of being outside and watching the world go by.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Giveup52
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I booked this for my friend and I via Lastminute.com and got Brussels Airlines flights included in the price. The hotel is one of a chain which I have previously booked my bosses into for work conferences etc, so I knew NH Hotels were of a high standard.
Lovely hotel. Kind of oldy-worldy once inside. I was expecting something more office-block but was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk from the station and I had a 9kg backpack on. Easy to find and well lit. Check in was easy and efficient, staff friendly and helpful (especially when my friend didn't know how to use a room safe and managed to lock our stuff inside). He also managed to get his personal belongings (iPod, front door keys, Oyster card) back after leaving them in his bedside table after we'd checked out, as the room cleaner had obviously handed everything over to reception.
The room was cleaned daily. It was comfortable; beds lovely, room pitch black at night, air-con easy to use and regulate, quiet at all times - couldn't hear the road.
We think the room could possibly have done with a paint job, but maybe we were being picky.
The bathroom was nice and the little toiletries were handy for my friend. The shower was the only downside - I could never get the temperature of the water right, it was either too hot or too cool and it changed from one to the other without me asking it.
The walk from the hotel to the Markt and Burg squares was a pleasant 15 minute stroll with much to see on the way there.
On check-out, our bags were kept in a side room for storage and we were given tickets to avoid any confusion when collecting them a few hours later.
I found the staff friendly. I think I go out of my way to say hello and goodnight to people as I find it helps if and when I need anything during my stay - a smile goes a long way, and staff are happier to help than if you turn up like a sourpuss.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kers_soush
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We loved this hotel. The staff were always very helpful and welcoming and were able to recommend things for us to do/point us in the right direction. The rooms were very homely and welcoming and the location of the hotel was great too, a short walk from the train station, but also a short walk from the main square. I would definitely come back here and would recommend to friends as well.