“Curently rennovating”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Curently rennovating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2008

Another hotel whose website photos look great but the room doesn't match. 4-star?, not even close.

The hotel is being rennovated so we had to walk carefully through a construction site between the front desk and the elevators. Situation offered potential hazards. Workmen on the fourth floor monopolized the elevators the next morning. We were up early, and glad we were, as the workmen used noisy electrical tools.

I never did identify the rotten-meat smell that permeated the lobby. That would've been okay except the room was only okay with an airliner-sized toilet room which hadn't even been swept. We had to keep our room window open because of not only again the strange rotten meat smell, but even after turning off the heat, the room was too hot. The breakfast buffet was okay but they were a bit stingy with the coffee. Typical European hotel--must leave your key card in the slot in order to have electricity in the room.

• Liked — The trundle beds in the room had real sheets.
  • Disliked — Tiny, tiny toilet room and bizarre shaped shower
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Seein'_the_world

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

When I booked this it stated I'd get a family room consisting of a double bed and two single beds for my 2 boys aged 15 and 11 yrs. I wanted a proper single bed for my 15 yr old as he's now over 6 feet tall!

So you can imagine when we arrived and found our room with a double bed and a sofa which consisted of two pull outs we were not best pleased. My son didn't sleep at all well. Luckily we were only here for one night.

It was fairly reasonably priced at 85 euro's for the night, the kids got breakfast free and the adults (2) had to pay 15 euro's each, which I also felt to be a complete rip off as this was definately the worst breakfast I have ever had anywhere in Europe!

The room and bathroom (good size) was clean but the carpet was stained in places, not very nice.

There was a sign in reception advising that you could stay in one of there newly refurbished rooms for an extra 15 euro's per person per night!!! What a cheek! The photo of the room didn't look very different to what we were in.

The bar was excellent here. Very good service, very clean and gave 2 lots of snacks with your drinks, crisps and peanuts - which my kids loved.

It was ok here but I wouldn't stay in Brugge again and I wouldn't stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — The bar
  • Disliked — Stained carpet in room, the disgusting breakfast, the beds.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank happy0007
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2007

I spent one night with my family in Brugge. We chose the Novotel based on price and previous reviews. We were, overall, very pleased with our stay. The hotel is close to the centre (10 min walk) and has parking under it / beside it at a moderate cost. The check-in staff were pleasant.
The public areas were very pleasant. We would have liked to have had time to sit in the bar. The rooms were standard Novotel rooms with white furniture. They lack a kettle / coffee making facilities. Reasonably good range of satellite TV including UK stations. The bathroom was very clean with a separate toilet.
Breakfast was very good. Staff again were pleasant helpful. Choice of food was good, served in pleasant surroundings.
Overall would definitely recommend the Novotel for a convenient 3 star hotel close to the town centre.

• Liked — Public areas and location
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Superdocuk
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2007

My wife and two young children spent one night in the Brugge Centrum hotel, and it was exactly what we wanted.
1. Easy to get to, only a few turns by car once we were in the city.
2. Reasonable parking (9.90 Euro for a day and a half)
3. Central location with an easy walk to the entire town (even for the 5 year old)
4. A clean family room that had a decent double + twin with a trundle.
5. Friendly staff and Inexpensive.

As others have said, it is a basic hotel, but I do not look for much entertainment or many meals from a hotel, I like to walk the town and find places to go, so the Novotel fit us.

The staff was also very friendly and helpful in suggesting a particular cafe, and helping us find operating hours for a tour we inquired about.

• Liked — great location for the price
  • Disliked — No views from the room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank FF_Parrothead
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2007

We enoyed our stay at this hotel. We only stayed here one night but the comfortable bed gave me best night's sleep on my 2 week vacation. It was some type of foam rubber mattress and not an innerspring mattress. I may get one for my house! The breakfast was not included in our prepaid rate and I didn't think it would be worth 15 euros each, but you do need to turn in your breakfast card when you check out or you will be charged. The hotel says it has A/C but you can't control it from the room. We didn't get hot, although I prefer rooms with an A/C you can control yourself. The minbar didn't have sensors, so you could put your own stuff in there, but there was a charge to use the internet computer downstairs. Upon leaving the train station we pulled our suitcases along the cobblestone streets but I was never sure if I was lost or not. I finally saw someone who confirmed I was not lost and she even showed up a few minutes later on her bike to make sure I found the hotel. The hotel said after crossing the street from the station and I should have turned right onto an asphalt bike path, then left at the river (heading north), right at the bridge, and then head northeast up Wijngardstraat to the hotel on Katelijnestraat (check a map). Much smoother than the cobblestone streets! Bruges is a nice relaxing place with lots of scenery and old buildings. Wish I could have stayed about 3 nights.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — No free internet
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank braceman
brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2007

We are a family with two toddlers (3 and 1). We booked a room with one double bed and two twin beds. The room was clean and basic. The hotel is located near the center of the city. It has an outdoor pool, but we didn't use it because it is unheated. Near the pool is a little playground with a slide and various see-saws. Our kids loved it. My husband was able to pack up while I watched the children at the playground. Hotel is a good value. However if you are looking for a bed-and-breakfast or a hotel with architectural charm...then this isnt the place for you.

• Liked — We were able to fit 4 people in one room with no problem
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank sunfunmom
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2007

We stayed here for a weekend on the way to a Centerparcs on the other side of Belgium. Brugge was recomended to us as a good place for a weekend stop.

When looking for a hotel I had trouble finding any with a room that could accommodate two adults and two children - then I found the Novotel which on their own website offered a family room including full breakfast for just under £70 a night. This seemed quite reasonable compared with some of the prices I had seen.

After staying I must say that this proved to be extemely good value. The hotel is right in the city centre, less than 5 minutes walk from a lot of the sights and about 10 minutes from the main market square. You do have to pay extra for using the public carpark underneath the hotel but it is secure and only about £6 a day for 24 hours.

The room was fairly basic but perfectly roomy and comfortable and very quiet. There is no tea making facilities but I gather this is normal in European hotels. Reception was quick and friendly checking in (and gave the kids a free cuddly toy each!) - a small queue checking out but we did choose the busiest time!

The included breakfast was excellent - lots of choice of juices, cereals, breads, cheese, fruits, yoghurts etc. and what I was not expecting a "mini" hot English selection of sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms etc.

Childrens facilites were good with a small outdoor play area and an outdoor pool which looked very clean although due to lack of time and poor weather we didn't try it. The dinner menu looked OK and reasonably priced with a separate childrens section although we didn't eat there.

Brugge itself was lovely - we did the main walking tour as recommended on the official website and saw most of the attractions/sights. Additionally we visited the chocolate museum and went for a boat ride on the canals.

The first night the kids were too hungry to look around so we just went to the Pizza Hut for dinner - service and cleanliness were awful but the food itself was good. The second night we found an excellent local restaurant in a square just around the corner from the hotel called T'Minnewater where we had some great local dishes and the childrens menu had very good burgers.

All in all a great short stay and we would definitely recommend the Novotel for anyone staying, especially those with children.

One word of warning, if you've never been before the hotel is quite hard to find by car - the signposts from the motorway take you into the city a different way to what you expect from the maps!

• Liked — Central, comfortable and friendly.
  • Disliked — No tea making facilities!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Phil25