“back in ... and disappointed!” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Ibis Brugge Centrum
Ranked #43 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Porto, Portugal
“back in ... and disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

PROS:
- location, you can walk from the hotel to everywhere
- paid public carpark underground
- breakfast is not bad for a Ibis
- Internet connection, free and resonable speed

CONS:
- Bad smell in all hotel, in the reception sewage smell, on my room s**t smell...really I couldnt beleive on the first day when I arrived.
- Staff, not very friendly and smiley. The only person I saw smiling was a trainee on the reception
- My room was beside a storage for housekeeping, too noisy, they started to clean and vacuum cleaner around 7 or before.
- No privacy, the window of my room was facing the elevator corridor, so I had to have my curtains always closed to have some privacy, I couldn´t have some day light on my room.

SHORT REVIEW:
After my first visit, for one single night, I returned to this hotel this time for a longer stay. I choosed this hotel against Novotel across the road, just based on price, I had stayed on both before on both hotels, and because I was planning a longer stay I choosed the cheapest option.

But back to Ibis I found a worse service and facilities, that I doesn´t remembered!

Even as a ACCOR loyalty member I had a bad room very tight, with a bad smell (s**t smeel) and beside some storage room of the housekeepers and the only window on my room was facing the elevator corridor, so I had to have my curtains always closed to have some privacy, I couldn´t have some day light on my room.

In the reception also some bad smell, something like sewage smell, since I crossed the main door every day I could feel the that smell.

The staff is also not very friendly, it seems they are doing some favor to have guests. I asked to put the name of the company on the invoice, it took more than 15 minutes, and the lady have done that clearly show a bad will.

Last but not least, my tight room ( I would say including bathroom, no more than 12 square meters) was located the next door of a storage room to the housekeeping. Beside they start to work very early in the morning around 7AM or before in that storage room, I could hear vacuum cleaner in the corridor also that early. unbelievable the lack of respect for the guest´s rest!

DO I WILL RETURN?
Never!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nick S, Assistant General Manager at Ibis Brugge Centrum, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Sir,
We would like to thank you for having taken the time to leave your impression about your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to read that this stay did not meet your expectations. As regards the smell in the hotel, I would like to refer to a previous reply (a smell has always been present in Bruges, due to the presence of the canals in town, and especially in periods of changing weather conditions or heavy rainfall. In Bruges there even exists an oral expression to depict this phenomenon: "the welling of the water"). I would like to reassure you that the respect for our guests' rest is one of our priorities. The housekeeping staff therefore only starts at 9 am and even at 10 am on Sundays. In the future, should you have any problem with your room, please always inform reception so we can find a solution. Your feedback is important to us, as it helps us improving our service every day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Ibis and it`s staff were welcoming and cheerful as usual :) familiar faces and names ! check in was smooth and quick as was check out ! just one night this trip but the weather was glorious ! sunny and warm which may account for the drain smell mentioned elsewhere, must admit we do not notice the problems maybe we are used to it ?
Everywhere was clean & tidy including the room , what more can you ask for ? if something is not right then ask and it will be sorted for you !
Well done the staff at Ibis Brugge for making our visit a good one , Again !
See you all in September :)

Room Tip: Disability Rooms available , ask when booking :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EastYorksCpl
Nick S, Assistant General Manager at Ibis Brugge Centrum, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guests,
Thank you very much for your loyalty and this wonderful review. It has been a pleasure for us to welcome you again in our hotel and we are looking forward to see you in September.
Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have just returned from 4 days staying in this hotel.At best clean and very basic.
Please if you have to stay here ,try not to have a room downstairs.
The smell was unbearable in the corridor outside the rooms,at times this seeped into the rooms as well.
I can only discribe the smell as drains mixed with sewerage.
Reception staff pleasant and helpful.
Restaurant staff not friendly nor helpful,left myself and other guests waiting,with little acknowlesgement for over half an hour,yet there were empty tables waiting to be filled.
Breakfast very limited,cheap but certainly not cheerful.
No toiletries in rooms,in fact there was a soap dispenser with about a tablespoon of soap.
The room I had was extremely noisy,so all in all not a very enjoyable break.

Room Tip: Avoid downstairs.Noisy and smelly.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lazydazymazy
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay as much as you had wished. Your comments will be taken into account and measures will be taken to prevent future occurence. The reception is open 24/7 to help you if you encounter any problems. As regards the smell in the hotel, I would like to refer to a previous reply (a smell has always been present in Bruges, due to the presence of the canals in town, and especially in periods of changing weather conditions or heavy rainfall. In Bruges there even exists an oral expression to depict this phenomenon: "the welling of the water"). Anyway, we hope these negatives have not affected your trust in our hotel and we hope to see you again.
Porthmadog, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Two night stay in room 220, great location for everywhere in Brugge, room adequate for what we needed. Loved the comfortable bed and pillows, very quiet, good bathroom, only downside was a small in the foyer but don't let this put you off this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank SnifferDogBlue
Nick S, Assistant General Manager at Ibis Brugge Centrum, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice during your recent visit to Brugge. We are happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay and found the Sweet bed by ibis comfortable.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights.

It's incredibly central, atmospheric and bang on the best chocolate-shopping street in Bruges.
You're within very easy walking distance of all the main sites.... and within an easy 10 minute walk of the main railway station too (although it's not so obvious at night).

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor for a good view - remember, Bruges is very flat!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penny H
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting this review about your stay at our hotel. We are glad you have appreciated the central location of the ibis Brugge Centrum and hope you will find the way back to us for your next visit.