“Food So Good, We Skipped the Main Course”
Review of Lieven

Lieven
Ranked #51 of 768 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fresh products, beautiful interior
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I want to reccomend this restaurant. It is close to The Burg, but it is not a tourist trap. The staff are excellent and the decor is a bit of minimalist modern combined with old beams and ceramic tile.
So, we arrived for our reservation and ordered a drink. The menu was all in Dutch and the waiter patiently walked us through each item. We ordered the Seafood Linguine and the Pâté for appetizers and steak and whitefish for our main course.
The appetizers arrived and we both looked at each other. They were beautiful and large. We described the seafood linguine as "maybe the best linguine pasta we've ever had.". The Pâté was as smooth as butter and I ate it with thick, dark raisin bread. Delicious!!
As we waited for our main course, we realized that we were very full, we were very satisfied and we did not need more food.
The waiter was excellent. He assured us that it was not a problem, his biggest concern that we were unhappy with the service which was distinctly not the case.
The main course was cancelled, we paid 100 Euros for the 72.50 Euro bill and we left relaxed and happy.
This is a terrific place to eat. We were impressed, with the food, the service and the attitude.
I reccomend Lieven as a neat place to eat in Brugge.

6  Thank George B

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Good food, great location,nice waiter , but the patron (cook) he is top! Restaurant is in the

middle of the town near interesting schops! Please notice the patron is working in an open kitchen with a lot of passion.

4  Thank Ann V
Reviewed 10 September 2012

and it is great!

This cosy place in the heart of the city is a very strong newcomer, the young chef and his lovely wife are running this place with a passion which is hard to find in the tourist places.

The chef sticks to only a few fresh starters and main courses but he changes the menu every couple of weeks. All ingredients are extremely fresh and the courses have an original touch, definitely the hand of a young chef who knows what he is doing without showing off too much.

For starters, I tried the 'stew' of bouchot mussels (19 euro) which wasn't really a stew but more of a soup. Bouchot mussels are the small version from the Nord of France and they are usually tastier than their bigger cousins from the South of Holland. The whole table actually cleaned out their plate to the last dip with bread because it was so good.

The second starter was a nice plate of seasoned lamb skewers (17 euro) with yoghurt and a crispy salad. I was raised in the Turkish restaurants of Harringay London so I am quite snobbish about lamb skewers. Lamb is easy to dry out but this was of excellent quality. The salad was interesting to say the least.

As main course we all went for the codfish with tomato and pasta (28 euro). I am no fan of getting served pasta with my main course but the fish was brilliant. The cod, which is sometimes a bit of a boring fish, was fresh and delicate and although it is easy to overcook the fillet so it falls apart, this was done perfectly. The pasta got soggy in the sauce pretty quickly which is the only minus about our visit.

Some people had told me this place was expensive but you can eat a great lunch here for just 15 euro. If you know that you pay 10 euro in any friterie in this arrogant touristic city for a pack of french fries, mayonaise en two pieces of dried out and fat meat than you know this place is extreme value.

Also try to go upstairs (where you can book for small groups) and have a look at the interesting furniture. The tables are made by a Dutch artist but I forgot his name and can't find it back on the web either.

The website http://www.etenbijlieven.be/ is in Dutch/Flemish only but that also means you find very little tourists here. This restaurant is here to stay and I am very happy about that.

1  Thank Ciddharta
Reviewed 4 September 2012

we discovered Lieven by walking in Brugge, wanting to have dinner at a local restaurant instead at a touristic area. we liked the atmosphere and decor. the hostess saw us outside trying to read the menue, came and translated as it's in Dutch, she translated to us and left. we liked the fact that we were not pushed into a sale pitch trying to get in. we decided to have dinner.. Rebecca sat us and assisted us in choosing the wine....which was very good bordeaux. we ordred a small salad and filet mignon...Rebecca was very attentive and came and informed us of any delay, i guess she took the review of the previous reviewer and applied it in a positive way. the food was outstanding, from salad to main entree....i would definetelly recommand it for any one who would like to have a nice dinner....

2  Thank Magda997
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I had a wonderful lunch with my friends, they are locals, and they brought me to this magnificent restaurant, with open kitchen, so we sat close to the cook, (he was expecting to receive a call from his wife because she in the hospital to give birth) even that he cooked for us, salmon , salads, fantastic desert , and I spent time just and enjoy how he cooked everthing in front of me in his modern , all metal steel inox kitchen, clean, was like a laboratory, everything in the right place, the local was perfect, the decoration superb, the floor upstairs ready to welcome meetings or large party, a private area also....in this old antique building, I love the experience, I will be back, and the owner is right there , cooking and smiling!!! for his guests!!! I will come back!! 100%

3  Thank Alex d