“Watch out for being charged for extras when you return your bike”
Review of Eric Popelier

Eric Popelier
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bicycling hobbyist Eric Popelier launched this bike rental company to rent Oxford bikes (and brand-new electric ones) to tourists exploring Bruges. His bike supply is replaced every six months, ensuring high-quality rides for all—and he makes child seats and bike bags available free of charge.
Reviewed 26 October 2013

the bikes we rented were pretty good. The bike for my wife was too big for her. During the journey the saddle got ripped. It looked like it got worn somehow. We had to pay for a replacement saddle. Not good and not expected. There is no option to buy insurance so we assumed we are covered. Fortunately we didn't do too much damage.

3  Thank david_kent_grimes

Reviewed 24 September 2013

My girlfriend and I rented bikes from Eric Popelier and we were very pleased with them. The man in the shop was a little abrupt but I think that is just his style. He was not rude to us in any way shape or form but was helpful getting the bikes set up. We also liked the trust he showed us, most places would want a deposit or a passport but there was no request for any of this.

The bikes were in good condition and were perfect for cycling around the area, which is pretty flat. We were going to try and cycle to Ghent but we went down the wrong canal and ended up by the coast. We actually ended up in the Netherlands at one point and had lunch there without even realising we had crossed the border.

One thing that would have improved this for us would if we had been able to keep the bikes overnight so we could have stayed out longer but I can understand why this was not possible.

It is interesting that all of the reviews are either excellent or terrible, there is no middle ground. I think some people are just a little bit ignorant and mistook the proprietor's manner for rudeness. Anyway, we were renting bikes, not going somewhere to have our egos massaged.

I would highly recommend this place if you want to rent a bicycle in Bruges.

2  Thank James R
Reviewed 6 September 2013

After carefully observing the different hire bikes people were using around Bruges for a few days we settled for Eric Popelier as the bikes looked fairly sturdy but not too heavy. An incredibly simple hire system - you pay cash (12 euros for the day) and get a bike! The man was also really helpful to us because I didn't have quite enough cash so he let me pay the 4 euro difference at the end of the day.

I've read the previous negative reviews about the owner and I think there is a fundamental different between bad customer service and the Flemish/Dutch straight-to-the-point manner which we experienced in quite a few places across the city.

(Cycle out to Damme - it's stunning!)

1  Thank katie229
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We popped in here on Sunday to find out about renting bikes on Monday (when lots of museums are closed). The young man at the counter was helpful and not at all pushy. He warned us that the guy who works on Monday doesn't really speak english but it shouldn't be a problem - and it wasn't.

The bikes are comfortable- six speed, with locks and bells. He added a paneer to mine when he saw that I had a shoulder bag. He handed us a map, managed to convey directions to my husband and we were off! 8 euro each for a 4 hour rental, which was enough time to get to Damme and ride around a bit in the countryside.

Returning was also very quick and easy.

They are open 10-7 on Mondays- you can get a whole day rental. Biking in Belguim is so easy and fun- I would do that next time.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had a very positive experience renting from this shop. Unlike the other shops we looked at, the bicycles here were well-maintained and in almost new condition. In fact, when we entered the shop, a man, I presume the owner, immediately put aside work he was doing on a bike and came to assist us. He provided us with a map for Damme and outlined the best route for getting there, suggesting a 4 hour rental if that was all we had time for. His bikes have an integrated locking system, which he made certain we understood how to use (very easy, incidentally). That certainly relieved my concern over bike theft, which I understand is a bit of a problem in European cities.

Our trip to and from Damme was fantastic, about 3 hours with stops, exploration, and a beer at the roadside Damme restaurant. We spent our remaining time tooling around Bruges, which requires a bit of planning since there are many one way streets (you can always walk your bicycle if going the wrong way, or you find yourself in one of the thronged areas).

His bicycles are essentially mountain bikes, with shock absorbers and a smoothly working gear shift, perfect for riding on Bruges cobblestones or idling along one of the canal paths. If we had had more time in the city, we would have rented for at least 24 hours and done more ambitious excursions.

The price is fair, and both rental and return are simple. I encountered none of the issues other reviewers appear to have had. The owner may be a bit brusk, but that beats having someone who wants to talk your ears off. I also suspect his English is not that good, which may be in part what negative reviewers reacted to.