“Overpriced and Apathetic Service”
Review of Venice

Venice
Ranked #285 of 713 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
“Overpriced and Apathetic Service”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

For the price of the food you would be expecting it to be close to Michelin star standard but they are nowhere near it. The service was just as disappointing, all the waiter was interested in was taking the initial order. Once that was done it was then completely hit and miss - serving our food or clearing the table whenever he remembered that we were there. At the end of the meal, one of us had to go up and ask for the bill because by then we were invisible to the two waiters. Disappointingly poor.

1 Thank Victus99

• Turkish first
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Fabulous Find”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

A chance happening when looking for a dinner spot. The food was far beyond expectation in terms of taste and presentation. We enjoyed the 'plat de jour'- vegetable soup hot and flavourful; beef stew and grilled chicken; for dessert creamy chocolate mousse. Reasonably priced at 17.50€. Fabulous! Our waiter was friendly and cheerful!

Visited May 2014
Cramlington, United Kingdom
“Unexpected gem!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were in Brugge recently to sight see and also to visit Ypres/War memorials/trenches.

We stumbled across Venice in a reasonably quiet street - we decided to go in although we were hesitant as we couldn`t see into the restaurant - once you were in you would describe it a local/quaint in style. The food was the best we had had on our break, the waiter recommend the wine (allowed us to sample before we ordered) took our orders and served our food - without any problem. He was very aware of the other diners and their needs.

During our meal we realised there were a further three couples from our trip in the restaurant - all had had a lovely evening in the Venice.

Portion sizes were as you would expect, my king prawns were excellent - we didn`t eat from the `tourist menu` but others did and had all enjoyed what they had ordered.

Drogheda, Ireland
“Oh dear, what a pity...”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We were recommended to eat at this restaurant by some locals and after reading Trip Advisor we were expecting a pretty decent meal (we had eaten at a beautiful restaurant the previous night in the same price range). The place was very empty when we got there but Bruges is pretty quiet it seems on a Sunday.

We decided to go with the three course meal at €33 not including sauce for the steak at €3 and I had a glass of Cava as it was our anniversary and my birthday present weekend away so a pretty special night. The three courses began with Scampi a la maison which is essentially shrimp in a really lovely sauce. The only problem was it was barely warm and cooled rapidly as we were eating it. As it turned out, if it had meant to been a cold dish it would have been fine and we ate it but I thought I better mention it to the server so they would know. The server was surprised and said he'd talk to the chef. He then came back out to tell me that the shrimp were al dente (they weren't, they were well cooked actually) and that was why they were cooler than I expected. I said no, the sauce was cold and he said it couldn't be! Thanks mister, I've just eaten the food and you're telling me that I'm wrong? Great...super...so after that interaction I was ready to leave.
The next course was a sorbet, which the server informed me was "supposed to be cold"....I actually could have smacked at this point but i decided he was trying to lighten the mood and getting the tone right in your non native language can be difficult so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. The sorbet was rather bland and full of ice (which it shouldn't be). The next course was the steak with chips and a side salad. The best thing about the steak course was the sauce which was very good. The steak itself, I requested medium but it came out pretty much well done but thankfully not over done. After the fiasco of the first course I just ate it. The steak was also rather light in colour which I can only attribute to it being not dry aged beef. For the price we paid I would have expected a deeper colour.
The dessert was creme brulée (which the server again commented on the temperature, I wish he'd seen the creme brulée we had had the previous night) and it was alright. The caramelisation on the top had gone a little too far so it had a slight burnt taste.
So in summary, this restaurant has a lot to live up to with its Trip Advisor reviews and it really didn't come anywhere close. I would not recommend it.

London, United Kingdom
“Bad choice”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Late lunch and picking what seemed to be a quieter location... Waiter seemed to be unphased, tap water non existent, food choice mediocre, the three course tourist menu was delivered with portions for dwarfs... At one point the waiter was smoking of boredom, next he disappeared for 10 mins and was seen offloading some plastic waste from the cellar to the bins. No surprises, no culinary delight, I call this average but am glad I have not wasted much money on this experience... I recommend you to try something else, sorry Venice...