“Dissapointing room upset our break.”

Hotel Navarra Brugge
Ranked #16 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have visited the Hotel Navarra on many occasions throughout the years and I have previously given it a glowing review. When we decided to visit a Christmas market this year our first choice was Bruges, we had visited in May this year staying at the Navarra and so when we booked we had no hesitation as to where we were going to stay. I booked through Superbreaks as previous and contacted the hotel to request the room we had in May, a large room at the front of the hotel overlooking the front of the hotel. When we stayed in May we had requested this room as we had stayed in it previously and after a mix up with the room, which was very quickly resolved we had a lovely stay. This time however was not the case.

I received an email from the hotel saying that they knew which room we had requested and they would try their very best to locate this to us. As I had heard nothing back from them to the contrary I believed that we again would be allocated this large room. We traveled by Eurostar which was lovely although it was a long day as we had caught our first train at 7am and it was now 4pm (3pm English time). When we arrived at the hotel and checked in nothing was mentioned about the room so I was still assuming that we had the requested room. I was given the key and told that the room was on the 2nd floor and given directions, I found this a little odd as I was sure the room was on the first floor. We made our way up to the room and after a lift and up flights of stairs and along corridors I realised that this was not the room I had requested. I decided to carry on and have a look, leaving my husband at the bottom of a flight of stairs with our luggage while I carried on. After another few flights of stairs and more corridors I found the room, it was quite a bit smaller that the room I had requested with 2 small windows instead of the large windows of the requested room.

I went to the reception to explain that this wasn't the room I had requested, the same thing that had happened in May and the receptionist couldn't understand what I meant and after much discussion and my explaining the directions to the room I had requested I was then told that the room I wanted was a family room and that it was reserved for a family coming the next day. I explained that I was not informed and the I was disappointed that this had not been mentioned on our arrival they didn't seem to understand the issue. When I returned to the room we decided that it would have to do, until that is we noticed that the bathroom had a sliding door. I know that some people would have no problem with this and might find us weird however be are both very private and having a sliding door on a bathroom is not acceptable especially for the price we had paid for the room. This is a four star hotel not a budget hostel. We went and explained to the reception and they then tried to find another for us. We were both tired and frankly so fed up and disappointed that the next room they gave us my husband look at and said it was ok, I was not happy with it as the room one in the room and had a sloping ceiling. It was even smaller than the original and the wardrobe was tiny and the hanging rail was only about 3 feet from the floor. Having said that we started to unpack and it was only when I went to put my shower gel on the bath that i realised that the wall the bath was against was sloping also, and that you would have had to either stand against the shower screen or bend sideways whilst taking a shower. We packed up again and went to reception for another room.

Finally we were given a room on the ground floor, past the bar and down more corridors, the temperature difference was quite noticeable. The room was small compared to the requested one with a small bathroom. It had one window looking out to the back of the hotel which let very little light into the room. My husband went to the reception and told them that this would do however I was still not happy, we had paid a lot for this room and as far as I was concerned it was not much better than a Premier Inn.

Although the room was clean the same unfortunately could not be said for the bathroom. At the back of the toilet was a toilet brush and holder attached to the wall and on the tiles by it were specks of something I don't even want to think about, and the toilet brush, when I looked at it (i did not take it out of the holder) had toilet paper on it. I left this until the room had been cleaned the next day to see if is had been cleaned but it had not so I cleaned it off myself with some wet toilet roll. Apart from this the room always appeared clean.

I must also point out, however this is not an issue I have with just this hotel. I cannot understand why hotels fell that it is acceptable not to have any drawer space. Although there was adequate hanging space and shelves, there is nowhere to put underwear and so you have to put them on shelves which is very awkward. I can understand business people not needing drawers if they are only staying overnight but when you are staying for a number of nights I find this a real pain.

I expressed my disappointment of the room to the receptionist on the first night, however being very tired after our long journey, I got upset, to my dismay as I wanted to be to the point and i got very emotional, which i have to say did not seem to bother the receptionist at all. As I pointed out to her and I stick by, we had stayed there on numerous occasions over the years and spent an awful lot of money with them but it will be the last time. We did not give them any more than the minimum and did not drink in the bar during out stay (we normally would have spent over €150 during our stay). I feel like our continued custom with them meant nothing and for our next stay in Bruges we will look for alternative accommodation as loyalty obviously means nothing.

I wish I could say we had a pleasant stay in the hotel but on this occasion we didn't and no matter how many good stays you have the bad ones will always stick in your mind.

I know that there are many happy customers but on this occasion, we weren't.

Room Tip: Family rooms are really nice, but beware, they have quite a few rooms down corridors and up masses o...
2  Thank Janet66
Write a ReviewReviews (2,301)

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived for a long weekend with friends. A beautiful hotel with very clean and well appointed rooms. Right on the doorstep of this wonderful city. The staff are the most friendly and helpful we have ever known, offering guidance freely. Breakfast was included and was top quality - a great antidote the morning after the excellent Belgian beers! We stayed in the Annex and were delighted with our room. Hope to visit Bruges again and will stay at The Navarra.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simmo5419
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed with friends for the Christmas Market in mid-December. We wanted to be in the centre of the town. The hotel was perfect.

Just a few steps take you to the main square, passing by an amazing hat/cap shop and the best restaurant in the town [on the left just before entering the main square - with a roaring fire].

The hotel is excellent with helpful reception, an efficient lift, large bedroom and modern bathroom. The bed was most comfortable. The telephone worked well - good for alerting our friends for breakfast.

The breakfast room is large and comfortable and the staff so helpful. Everyone speaks impeccable English - good job as the local language is Flemish!!

The Town is filled with 400 Belgian Beers and many special shops. I hate shopping, but have been converted - due to the quality and variety of the offers. It was all helped down by "hot wine with rhum", a most amazing concoction.

Going by Eurostar via Brussels was very efficient - 2 hours to Brussels. Just remember you need to check-in 30 minutes before departure from St. Pancras - we grabbed onto the door as it set off!

From Brussels the trains to Brugge go from platform 15, at about 39 minutes and 56 minutes past the hour.

On the way home, be sure to get off at Brussels Zuid [Flemish] or Midi [French]. Brussels has around 3 stations all called dIfferent names!!

We had a great time with good friends at a marvellous hotel. The hotel will store your luggage on the day of departure - for free, so you can spend more time shopping and visiting the bars.

We will return for another 'hot wine' served by the ever pleasant bar manager.

2  Thank Ashef
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Location excellent, just five minutes from main square. Service friendly and efficient, buffet breakfast excellent. Room clean and well-maintained - a bit small and a larger couple than us might have found the double-bed a little "cosy". We did find the room too warm, with no obvious way of cooling it except by opening the window! Good value for money given the very high standard of the hotel. It looks good, it is good, and we'd certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Maybe go for a twin rather than a double if you're on the large side.
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. We found the location unbeatable, rooms - although small - are clean and in excellent condition. The breakfasts are adequate tho scrambled egg was typical of food kept warm and was somewhat dehydrated! It was a bonus having a swimming pool and free wi-fi and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Overall it is a good hotel that we would definitely go back to.

1  Thank Jill3154
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We went for a long weekend with friends at the beginning of the Christmas period. Although we went by car we didn't want to use it while we were in Bruges so the Navarra was ideal as it has it's own car park and is very centrally located. In fact we went everywhere on foot and could pop back to the hotel whenever we needed to.
The hotel is medium sized, well kept with decent sized comfortable rooms and, although not cheap, was reasonably priced in view of it's city centre location. The restaurant is only available for breakfast which was buffet style and very acceptable. There are plenty of restaurants close by so we had no trouble finding good places to eat. There is a bar at the hotel which was quite nice but small and a bit pricey but again there were plenty of other places to go for a drink.
Bruges was lovely especially with plenty of Christmas activities and we were lucky with the weather.
All in all, a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and had no noise or other disturbance
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have stayed here twice. Both hotel experiences were excellent. The hotel is beautiful and well situated. The rooms are spacious and have everything you need. The staff are very helpful. The pool is such a bonus as I love swimming, its quite deep though so be aware of this is you have small children. The breakfast is fantastic too. I don't think I would stay anywhere else in Bruges as it ticks all the boxes for us!

Room Tip: We had a family room which over look the church. My Parents room over looked the courtyard which was...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family