“Superb Central Location”
Review of Martin's Brugge

Martin's Brugge
Ranked #40 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed on a 3 night Eurostar break in January. Hotel was friendly clean and warm - esecially as there was several inches of snow during our stay. Only negative is their restaurant was closed but we were not informed of his before our stay, however as the hotel is 50 yards from the main square this was not a problem. Can't comment on the hotel value as it was a Eurostar inclusive break.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Martin's Brugge

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Book this as a special on Expedia and the hotel matched our expectations.

Very well situated behind the main square in Bruges (the one featured in In Bruges) but on a quiet street. The hotel is clean, tidy and modern. The room was a reasonable size, clean and the fridge in the room was a big bonus as this is Belgium - home of great beer.

I'd happily stay there again and that has to be the best recommendation any hotel can get :-)

Room Tip: Check for deals on Expedia and other travel sites.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mhuk05
MartinsBrugge, Assistant to General Manager at Martin's Brugge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Mrs, Mr

Thank you for your nice comment you have written regarding your stay in Martin's Brugge.
We really enjoyed reading that you experienced a good stay.
You can also check our website to book directly your hotel room and buffet breakfast.
We do look forward welcoming you again in the near future in Martin's Brugge.

Have a nice day,
With kind regards,
Nicky De Backer
Assistant to General Manager

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Clean, modern and very well positioned hotel. Beds/duvets pillows comfortable for a lovely nights sleep. Fantastically priced (although if you take up the parking, breakfast etc etc it will all start adding up). We got a special rate via booking.com website, we had the basic twin/double which was perfectly adequate. We had breakfast at cafe/restaurants outside the front (a lot cheaper) and also parked in Zilverpand for €8.70 for 24hrs (5mins walk) so it all worked out well. The hotel is right in the heart of everything you would wish to see. One little annoying bit, the constant early chimes from the Belfry. Initially quaint,but by the 3rd morning, it was slightly annoying for a good lie in ! .. :-) Check out my other reviews of where we ate, drank and visited.

Room Tip: From what I saw there was very little difference to the next level of room/suite, so go for the best...
1  Thank regulartraveller2007
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My wife and I stopped here last week and overall I cannot say that I am impressed, but it does have some positives.

Positives

1. The hotel is ideally located near the centre of Brugge, a short walk to the main market and about 20 mins walk from the train station. Just around the corner are some good shops for buying chocolate etc (a bit cheaper than the main tourist area) and a supermarket is also very close.

2. For the price and as part of a package deal with eurostar the hotel is good value. It is well presented, clean and has very much a holiday inn feel to it.

3. You get many English channels on the TV - always nice to watch a bit of home.

Negatives

1. Staff are not always the most helpful. I am not sure if everyone finds this to be true but I generally found staff to be rather blunt and lacking a smile (but to be fair that seemed to be the case in most shops, restaurants, etc)

2. 17 euros each for the breakfast is silly - if you don't book and pay for this in advance don't bother, you won't get a good deal.

3. Some reviews suggest not being on the road. I suggest not being on the inside as the windows over look air conditioning extracting fans and they make a hell of a noise which can be heard through glass and go 24/7. If you are like me and need little noise to sleep avoid these rooms or take ear plugs.

4. In winter they turn the air conditioning off. Why is this a problem you may ask? Well if you can't open your window due to noise and the room gets hot and stuffy even when you turn the heating off, you may have a problem. My wife being pregnant did get very hot during the night. The next day I requested air-con to be turned on in our room to which I got an outright no. To be fair we were offered another room but this was at the front and suffered road noise. So once again you may need to choose between traffic, fan noise or a very stuffy room.

So overall a good location but unhelpful staff and outside noise problems mean I won't return to this hotel any time soon.

Oh and don't forget your city tax! it cost us 6 euros.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs or get a room that looks towards the side street, avoid inside rooms at all cost.
1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed here late February with my boyfriend and we couldn't believe how central the hotel is. It is directly behind the bell tower which is in the main market square. It's also only a 5/10 minute walk to all the main tourist places - the brewery, chocolate factory, the canal and museums. We had breakfast included which was good value for the price we paid (if you don't book the breakfast when you book you have to pay 17 euros a day). The restaurant (which only serves breakfast) was really nice and had plenty of choice to eat. The staff were really helpful and friendly and the hotel has a secure luggage room so we could have a wander round after we had checked out without our bags.

The only slight downside was although we had a double room - it was in fact just two single beds pushed together and they weren't secured to each other so one of us kept falling between them!

Would definitely recommend this hotel! :)

Reviewed 22 February 2013

We had booked this hotel room for 1 night, but on the day we were supposed to go to Bruges one of our close friends had some serious trouble and we reluctantly decided to cancel our stay. The room was prepaid (booked through a Bongo voucher), but out of courtesy I called the hotel anyway. I told her my name, said we had a booking for that same night and explained we couldn't make it.
The girl at the phone said nothing more than: "But you'll have to pay for it anyway!", as if I was begging for a refund. I gently explained the room had already been paid, that I was not asking my money back and that I was only informing her of our incapability to make it to Bruges.
She didn't say much after that and we said goodbye. Or at least I did.

Five minutes later she calls me again, hardly manages to say hello and tells me I should cancel the voucher as well (which is not possible, I checked after the call) and hangs up on me.

No big drama, but I feel disrespected, snubbed and confused. I will not be booking this hotel again and I surely hope customer care is better for customers who do stay at the hotel.

1  Thank Lene H
MartinsBrugge, Front Office Manager at Martin's Brugge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Mrs,

We regret to read that you had to cancel your visit to Bruges.
When you called the hotel , obviously our staff did not respond in an appropriate manner for which we apologize. A first reaction should have been a sign of appreciation. It is very courteous of you to notify the hotel.
This matter will be discussed internal.
Again we would like to apologize and we do hope to welcome you here in Martin's Brugge for a futur visit of Brugge.
Please contact me in directly for your next stay in Martin's Brugge.

With kind regards
Nicolas Thieren
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 21 February 2013

The hotel is ideally central to the town of brugge, close to all shops and the main square. Very clean with good services. Only bad point is if you stay at the front of the hotel, it is very noisy with traffic in the small side road and late night drinkers. My suggestion would be to get a room as high up as you can and at the back of the hotel if you want any peace at night and a decent sleep.

1  Thank PML49