All reviewsthe main hotelsmall luxury hotelfish marketoverlooking the canalold worldlovely hotelfirst flooreggs cooked to orderperfect locationjunior suitelarge windowsstayed one nightold buildingreception areaquiet at nightbreakfast roomper day
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We arrived in the pouring rain and although the taxi driver made a point of dropping us off right under the canopy so we didn't get wet, we were then forced to walk to the annex (the other side of the canal) and the hotel could find only 1 umbrella between 6 of us!
3 rooms - ours was quite grand but the other 2 were somewhat more cramped. All were right on the canal and would have had wonderful views had the weather been better!
Finishing touches were a little underwhleming. Towels (sludge grey) and bath robes were hard rather than fluffy, no towel rails in bathroom so draped on floor! - no complimentary conditioner; overhead shower in our bathroom had had the "on" tap removed, no tea and coffee making facilities or even water (other than in mini-bar) and mini-bar itself rather disappointing (only nibbles was a packet of peanuts)
Room was rather dark - not helped by the fact one of the lights wasn't working
Very old TV with no cable channels - and no WiFi (certainly in the annex)
Plus factors: bathroom was sparkling clean - staff were delightful and light jazz music was played in both the bar and breakfast room which created a nice ambience. And the hotel certainly had a charm of its own which would no doubt have been even more apparent in better weather conditions

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lavinia02
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed here for four nights for our honeymoon. we booked it specifically for the swimming pool and spa, having paid more for these services we were very disappointed to find out both of where closed when we were there. Our room was far smaller than we expected and even though we had said it was our honeymoon we were given two single beds pushed together. The breakfast buffet was nice - but very standard and the fridge in the room was broken. The location was really good and the hotel did offer off road parking however this was at a premium. Although the hotel was pleasant and the staff very polite it was not very spacious and came across far more luxurious on the website than in reality. we were disappointed with the hotel and do not think it was good value for money. we would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2011

The hotel has a stunning location just in the centre of Bruges in front of the channel 5min walk from the main square. Common spaces are very nice, elegant and oldish style but the rooms really need to be refurnished and refreshed. Especially the bathrooms are very tired. Very good breakfast in a fantastic veranda. No wifi conncetion in the rooms. parking in front of the hotel for reasonable price. We had our dinner at the restaurant "La Pergola" just in front of the hotel and it was delicious. Overall a good place to stay in Bruges but from a SLH at that price you can expect a little bit more.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ScaccoMatto74
Reviewed 16 December 2010

See below the feedback provided directly to the hotel - as I think it's unfair to place reviews on trip advisor without providing the same feedback to the management of the hotel in question.

My wife and I (& baby son) stayed at your hotel last weekend and I’d like to provide you with some feedback;

Your staff were all excellent. Very helpful and friendly. In particular Lieven was superb.

Our room, it has to be said, was very disappointing. I booked a deluxe – and it was far from that.

The décor was tired and the bathroom was atrocious. It clearly hasn’t been upgraded since the mid 70’s. The shower was very poor – with a trickle of water and the temperature control didn’t work properly – it was either too hot or luke warm. I reserved a double room – but the bed in the room was 2 single beds pushed together.

The breakfast was excellent.

We ate in your restaurant – The food and the service was absolutely outstanding.

On my bill I noted that you had charged me 3 euros for use of the Spa.

I was utterly flabbergasted by this. Having paid you 245 euros per night for our room and having spent around 180 euros in your restaurant – to be charged 3 euros to use the pool and sauna was quite honestly insulting.

We have stayed in numerous hotels in Brugge paying the same rates as yours – our room was poor compared to where we have stayed previously.

I hope you find this feedback useful.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dunning11
Reviewed 4 October 2010

The hotel is an ex-guild dating back to the 18th century. Expect imposing period decor inside, which I find beautiful and wonderfully preserved. This, if I'm being brutally honest, is a drawback when it comes to the bedroom. I happened to be scared of ghost and couldn't sleep without having the light on!! Apart from this, Die Swaene is a brilliant hotel, with modern amenities, full of character, less than 5 min walk to Bruges's main square. The staff at the hotel is VERY VERY HELPFUL!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business