All reviews the main hotel small luxury hotel fish market overlooking the canal lovely hotel old world first floor eggs cooked to order perfect location stayed one night junior suite large windows old building reception area quiet at night breakfast room per day
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Charming and fantastic bed in breakfast in the heart of historic Brugge. I recently stayed her and had the most fantastic experience. The hotel staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. They speak English, French, Dutch and German that I heard. There's a great hotel entrance with comfortable velvet chairs for lounging in. Upstairs is a romantic drawing room with soaring ceilings, a piano and a very renaissance feel. There's even an indoor pool!!

Breakfasts are to die for at The Swan. There's a beautiful dining room with a garden patio. The garden patio is covered and glassed in for wintertime, but still has great charm. Breakfast items included juices, coffees, teas, hot chocolates, any kind of pastry or type of bread you can imagine, fresh meats and cheeses, cereals, fruits, baked apples and much more. They will even make fresh omlettes or eggs to order.

I had a fantastic experience staying here and would recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a canal view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

In 2001. we received as a wedding gift a voucher for a stay in this hotel, including dinner and breakfast. There was no expiration date written on the voucher so I assumed that the voucher would be valid for a long period of time.

A few years ago, I called the hotel to ask how long the voucher was actually valid. I was told that the voucher was still valid as long as I would pay the difference between the value of the package back when it was issued and its current value. This seemed like a fair statement and I didn't worry about it any longer.

I called the hotel recently to inquire about a possible reservation or a donation to a third party. I was then told, to my great surprise, that the voucher was no longer valid and had expired one year after its issue date! I mentioned my phone call with the person who told me I would simply have to pay the price difference. I was told that this was not possible (as if, I am a liar!) and that the voucher was simply not valid anymore.

When I mentioned that there was no expiration date on it, I was told that I was missing a page and that the expiration date was written on the second page (how convenient!). I really could not believe to what extend these people would go to justify their lack of professionalism! I received the voucher in a envelope labeled from the hotel. The envelope included the voucher itself and a little hotel brochure. My friends gave us the envelope as is. Why would my friends deliberately take one page out of the envelope, especially if some crucial information was written on it??? This makes absolutely no sense.

But the most extraordinary statement I heard from the hotel employee was : "We don't even know if the voucher has been paid for already because we don't have any records of it in our books". First of all, which hotel does actually issue a voucher when it has not been paid for??? There is no excuse for such a dumb statement! Besides, which hotel does not keep a record of the vouchers they issue? Even if this was 10 years or 20 years ago? Only very unprofessional people would admit that their administration is so poor.

I was then told (yes, as incredible as this may seem, they always come up with new "excuses" not to honor their guests!) that the hotel direction had changed since the voucher had been issued. Very strange, because the hotel manager who signed the voucher is still the current manager, the hotel is still called the same... So even if this is true, why would a new direction affect the validity of a voucher? Again, a great mystery!

The next excuse was: The currency in our country changed since the voucher was issued. Another completely and utterly ridiculous statement! The Euro was introduced in Holland in 2000, before the voucher date. Oh my God, at this point it was clear to me that I was dealing with people who didn't know when to stop ...

When I asked to speak the manager, I was told that he was not in. I was then given his working hours and, strangely, I was actually calling during this time! But - what a coincidence - he was not in, just today! The hotel manager never made a single effort to contact me, even though the person I spoke to told me she had told him about the situation. She told me that he had taken the decision to dismiss my request and if I wanted to, I could call him again. To hear the same idiotic excuses once again when I am paying for the call? No, thank you!

Having worked in the hotel business for a long time, I am absolutely appalled by the lack of professionalism I witnessed. The manager never made the smallest effort to do any commercial gesture towards me or even to seek contact via email or telephone. Sad!

Beware if you ever receive a gift voucher from this place or if you plan to offer one to somebody. These people are happy to cash your money in, but they will find any excuse to prevent you or your loved ones to enjoy a stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sophie A
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay in Die Swaene. From the cold outside you step into a warm, welcoming, beautifully furnished reception lounge which sets the tone for the stay. Our bedroom was large and had several antique features, such as the old fireplace and a four poster bed which was quite a 'piece'! It was a very attractively decorated room, and very warm and cosy. Naturally the 'en suite' bathroom was modern and spotlessly clean. Breakfast in the mornings, taken in the attractive period diningroom, was excellent - all the types of bread you could wish for, fruit of all description, cakes, cold meats and cheeses or, if wished a cooked breakfast to order. We can thoroughly recommend this hotel and its friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We have just come back from a weekend in Bruges staying at die Swaene hotel.
The hotel, originally three houses parts dating back to the 13th Century, was lovely. We were greeted in a very friendly manner and shown the layout of the hotel and where to go in Bruges.
We ate in their restaurant on the first night and the food was fantastic, easily Michelin star quality but without the price.
The room was large enough, well appointed and clean but the TV was a bit small.
Die Swaene is close to the main square and sits on the bank of one of the canals.
Beautiful city and a great weekend hotel. Thank you Bruges/Brugge

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front. Our view from the back was of the back of houses.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Robert H
Reviewed 11 November 2011

In late June we stayed four nights at Die Swaene, an old boutique hotel which fronts on a canal and is just steps from multiple large squares, shops and restaurants in the center of Bruges. Hotel staff is friendly, hospitable and eager to please, including offering to prepare breakfast items you especially like (even if they're not part of the already lavish buffet). Our room was large, comfortable and seemed to be steeped in history. It also had direct access to a glassed-in sun porch near the swimming pool. When we departed for the railroad station, the cab summoned by the hotel was new, luxurious and driven by a very professional young lady who arraged with railroad workers to assist us to our train there as well as being available to help us when changing trains later in Antwerp.

Room Tip: We like the small building complex where the front desk is located, but haven't heard any complaints about the other buildings.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple