“Pleasant, But a Bit Strange”
Review of Die Swaene

Die Swaene
Ranked #60 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I arrived at the hotel late one night, and I was baffled that I couldn’t find the hotel entrance. There’s a huge, beautiful sign on one side of the canal with the hotel’s name. Behind the sign is a parking lot for the hotel. However, the hotel entrance just wasn’t obvious. I walked around the block repeatedly for one full hour before I finally called Die Swaene from another hotel and someone came to fetch me. It was late, though, so we didn’t check in. Instead, our hotel escort led us to the back of the dark parking lot to a little corner with a pipe and a door – some sort of back door for a restaurant. He opened the door and led us to our rooms, which were not marked with our hotel’s name and were across a body of water from the hotel lobby and through a restaurant! I must say that our room was lovely, though. It was very spacious - more spacious than I would ever expect in Europe. It had incredibly high ceilings, antique-style furniture, a writing desk, a huge bathroom with a wonderful tub and shower, etc. It was truly beautiful and lovely. Just really odd.

In the morning, my husband and learned that the main hotel with its reception area, fantastic breakfast buffet, and incredible charm were across the canal (a short walk away). I only say all this to say that it’s a nice hotel, but if you stay in the “annex,” you will NOT have the full hotel experience. My room in the annex was nice, but I chose the hotel based upon the pictures I saw on the website, which were taken in the main hotel. So, just keep this in mind when you book your trip.

One more thing – the annex was noisy in the morning and throughout the day. Maybe it was noise from the restaurant as they were setting up. There were a lot of doors opening and closing, loud club music, and dishes clattering. The good thing is that I didn’t need an alarm clock and we were out most of the day. Still, it’s good to be aware of these things when booking. I must say that things were quiet as a mouse in the evening.

Overall, it was a nice stay. Just a bit strange.

2  Thank Cecelia C
Tine H, Owner at Die Swaene, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Madam, thank your for writing this review and we are glad to read you enjoyed your stay.
I suppose you must have arrived after dark and therefore had trouble finding the main building. Your room was in the annex, across the canal but the advantage of this is that your view over the canal and historical centre is fenominal.
The restaurant staff was obviously too much in a dancing mood....they are aware of the caused nuisance and like to apologize

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Absolutely wonderful hotel due to its location, helpful staff and comfortable rooms. We stayed in the Pergola super deluxe suite and loved it.. However guests should be aware of the following to avoid some small disappointments: the big bed is actually two singles pushed together, and you need to ask reception to make the bed with large sheets it you are to avoid falling between the two beds; there is no do not disturb sign to avoid being surprised by housekeeping in the morning and early evening; the bathroom was designed by an amateur who read too many glossy magazines before going into interior design (it looks great but doesn't work comfortably). We would definitely recommend the hotel to couples for a weekend break, and will return someday when the weather is warmer.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Small and chick hotel very close to everything. Staff were very helpful, gave us a quick tour of the hotel and facilities, unfortunately we had no time to use the pool or sauna. The rooms are super clean and beautiful and the breakfast is just the best. I know everyone is praising the food, yes, it is that good! Get a room with canal view if you can, you'll have a hard time leaving the place.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

As we were traveling in early January and were not actually sure when we would arrive in Bruges we had not made any reservations. We had originally planned to see if we could stay at Martin's Orangerie where we had stayed about 18 months prior. They were closing for renovations the following day. We opted not to stay since the work had already started. We walked to Die Swaene and were quoted a discounted rate, which pretty much made this a bargain. As we had stayed here before we decided to accept it and stayed for 3 nights. We were also upgraded to a larger room. Overall we had a wonderful experience. It is centrally located, on a particularly beautiful canal. We were given a room in the rear on the ground floor. The room was large and comfortable. Breakfast was included and they offered to make breakfast items from scratch. The staff were all warm and kind. When we were checking out they offered a 50% discount if we wished to spend another night. If we had received this offer before we packed we just might have stayed. They charged 15 Euro per day to park in their lot on the other side of the canal and comped one night when we checked out. The fact that the rate had been pretty steeply discounted made it easy to rate this as excellent.

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting one of the front rooms facing the canal.
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed for one night at this lovely boutique hotel and we definitely plan to come back! A beautiful and unique hotel, greatly placed just in the historical centre, yet extremely peaceful. One small tip: do try their breakfast, it's worth every penny!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Charming and fantastic bed in breakfast in the heart of historic Brugge. I recently stayed her and had the most fantastic experience. The hotel staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. They speak English, French, Dutch and German that I heard. There's a great hotel entrance with comfortable velvet chairs for lounging in. Upstairs is a romantic drawing room with soaring ceilings, a piano and a very renaissance feel. There's even an indoor pool!!

Breakfasts are to die for at The Swan. There's a beautiful dining room with a garden patio. The garden patio is covered and glassed in for wintertime, but still has great charm. Breakfast items included juices, coffees, teas, hot chocolates, any kind of pastry or type of bread you can imagine, fresh meats and cheeses, cereals, fruits, baked apples and much more. They will even make fresh omlettes or eggs to order.

I had a fantastic experience staying here and would recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a canal view
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

In 2001. we received as a wedding gift a voucher for a stay in this hotel, including dinner and breakfast. There was no expiration date written on the voucher so I assumed that the voucher would be valid for a long period of time.

A few years ago, I called the hotel to ask how long the voucher was actually valid. I was told that the voucher was still valid as long as I would pay the difference between the value of the package back when it was issued and its current value. This seemed like a fair statement and I didn't worry about it any longer.

I called the hotel recently to inquire about a possible reservation or a donation to a third party. I was then told, to my great surprise, that the voucher was no longer valid and had expired one year after its issue date! I mentioned my phone call with the person who told me I would simply have to pay the price difference. I was told that this was not possible (as if, I am a liar!) and that the voucher was simply not valid anymore.

When I mentioned that there was no expiration date on it, I was told that I was missing a page and that the expiration date was written on the second page (how convenient!). I really could not believe to what extend these people would go to justify their lack of professionalism! I received the voucher in a envelope labeled from the hotel. The envelope included the voucher itself and a little hotel brochure. My friends gave us the envelope as is. Why would my friends deliberately take one page out of the envelope, especially if some crucial information was written on it??? This makes absolutely no sense.

But the most extraordinary statement I heard from the hotel employee was : "We don't even know if the voucher has been paid for already because we don't have any records of it in our books". First of all, which hotel does actually issue a voucher when it has not been paid for??? There is no excuse for such a dumb statement! Besides, which hotel does not keep a record of the vouchers they issue? Even if this was 10 years or 20 years ago? Only very unprofessional people would admit that their administration is so poor.

I was then told (yes, as incredible as this may seem, they always come up with new "excuses" not to honor their guests!) that the hotel direction had changed since the voucher had been issued. Very strange, because the hotel manager who signed the voucher is still the current manager, the hotel is still called the same... So even if this is true, why would a new direction affect the validity of a voucher? Again, a great mystery!

The next excuse was: The currency in our country changed since the voucher was issued. Another completely and utterly ridiculous statement! The Euro was introduced in Holland in 2000, before the voucher date. Oh my God, at this point it was clear to me that I was dealing with people who didn't know when to stop ...

When I asked to speak the manager, I was told that he was not in. I was then given his working hours and, strangely, I was actually calling during this time! But - what a coincidence - he was not in, just today! The hotel manager never made a single effort to contact me, even though the person I spoke to told me she had told him about the situation. She told me that he had taken the decision to dismiss my request and if I wanted to, I could call him again. To hear the same idiotic excuses once again when I am paying for the call? No, thank you!

Having worked in the hotel business for a long time, I am absolutely appalled by the lack of professionalism I witnessed. The manager never made the smallest effort to do any commercial gesture towards me or even to seek contact via email or telephone. Sad!

Beware if you ever receive a gift voucher from this place or if you plan to offer one to somebody. These people are happy to cash your money in, but they will find any excuse to prevent you or your loved ones to enjoy a stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple