All reviewsthe main hotelsmall luxury hotelfish marketoverlooking the canalold worldlovely hotelfirst flooreggs cooked to orderperfect locationjunior suitelarge windowsstayed one nightold buildingreception areaquiet at nightbreakfast roomper day
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We went out of season (February) on a business trip, & I didnt want to leave. The staff, & I think, the owner were utterly charming, helpful & lovely (like many in Bruges) & the rooms were incredible. Very, very old & large, with quirky but wonderful decor. I cant remember breakfast but I think it was good, but I do remember the hotel is very well located and it has a car park for guests which isnt easy to find in a Unesco world heritage site city. I would absolutely go back there, & it would be a great place for a romantic break.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Tine H, Owner at Die Swaene, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Madam, thanks a lot of taking some time to write this review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to meet again some time in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My partner and I recently visited Bruges for a mid-week break in Feb 2012. We initially wished to stay at the Canal Deluxe and enquired about a reservation. A room was not available, so the owner suggested her other hotel Die Swaene, but at the same rate we would have paid for the Canal Deluxe. We accepted happily.

We had a room in the annex, across the canal from the main hotel with car parking access immediately outside (additional payment required) and free wifi, which worked well. The room was very high-ceilinged and decorated in sumptuous deep red tones with a gas flame fire, which gave a wonderful decadent warmth to the whole weekend, especially with the ice melting on the canal immediately outside the window. The bathroom also deserves a mention - it was so huge you could have put a double bed in there. Only slightly awkward to get out of the bath/shower if you have any mobility issues, but strong water flow, good quality products and towels and a basin for each person felt very luxurious.

Crossing over the oldest bridge in Bruges to access a magnificent breakfast of so many choices... fresh and dried fruit and nuts, yoghurts, cheeses, meats, eggs or pancakes cooked to order, cereals, breads, rolls and pastries, chocolates was not an issue at all and in fact felt somehow more special than just wandering downstairs in a more usual style place. Even the breakfast room felt special - with a choice of cosy interior or a lighter conservatory area.

The welcome from the staff, in particular the Receptionist and Katie who managed the breakfast room was very friendly and helpful, with maps and information provided happily.

We looked in at the pool and had we had more time, I would have liked to take a swim there, especially after I saw them clean the overhanging leaves out of the pool from the plants draped around the edges. That was a plus for me - the natural/Japanese-style effect they have created.

We also looked in on the restaurant below the annex, which looks directly out onto the canal, but we didn't try it. The decor felt a little overdone for our tastes, but the menu and wine list looked excellent. The upstairs Pergola cafe wasn't really an option at this time of the year, but I imagine once the sun comes out, would be a nice place to sit with a coffee and plan the next adventure.

Thank you so much for a really special visit. We would love to come again.

Room Tip: I didn't see the rooms in the main hotel, but would definitely recommend a room in the annex, overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Tine H, Owner at Die Swaene, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thanks a lot for taking your time to write this wonderful and extensive review.
I'm glad you accepted the offer to stay at Die Swaene and that it lived up to your expectations.
Hope to welcome you again in the future...at Die Swaene or Canal Deluxe B&B.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I arrived at the hotel late one night, and I was baffled that I couldn’t find the hotel entrance. There’s a huge, beautiful sign on one side of the canal with the hotel’s name. Behind the sign is a parking lot for the hotel. However, the hotel entrance just wasn’t obvious. I walked around the block repeatedly for one full hour before I finally called Die Swaene from another hotel and someone came to fetch me. It was late, though, so we didn’t check in. Instead, our hotel escort led us to the back of the dark parking lot to a little corner with a pipe and a door – some sort of back door for a restaurant. He opened the door and led us to our rooms, which were not marked with our hotel’s name and were across a body of water from the hotel lobby and through a restaurant! I must say that our room was lovely, though. It was very spacious - more spacious than I would ever expect in Europe. It had incredibly high ceilings, antique-style furniture, a writing desk, a huge bathroom with a wonderful tub and shower, etc. It was truly beautiful and lovely. Just really odd.

In the morning, my husband and learned that the main hotel with its reception area, fantastic breakfast buffet, and incredible charm were across the canal (a short walk away). I only say all this to say that it’s a nice hotel, but if you stay in the “annex,” you will NOT have the full hotel experience. My room in the annex was nice, but I chose the hotel based upon the pictures I saw on the website, which were taken in the main hotel. So, just keep this in mind when you book your trip.

One more thing – the annex was noisy in the morning and throughout the day. Maybe it was noise from the restaurant as they were setting up. There were a lot of doors opening and closing, loud club music, and dishes clattering. The good thing is that I didn’t need an alarm clock and we were out most of the day. Still, it’s good to be aware of these things when booking. I must say that things were quiet as a mouse in the evening.

Overall, it was a nice stay. Just a bit strange.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cecelia C
Tine H, Owner at Die Swaene, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Madam, thank your for writing this review and we are glad to read you enjoyed your stay.
I suppose you must have arrived after dark and therefore had trouble finding the main building. Your room was in the annex, across the canal but the advantage of this is that your view over the canal and historical centre is fenominal.
The restaurant staff was obviously too much in a dancing mood....they are aware of the caused nuisance and like to apologize

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Absolutely wonderful hotel due to its location, helpful staff and comfortable rooms. We stayed in the Pergola super deluxe suite and loved it.. However guests should be aware of the following to avoid some small disappointments: the big bed is actually two singles pushed together, and you need to ask reception to make the bed with large sheets it you are to avoid falling between the two beds; there is no do not disturb sign to avoid being surprised by housekeeping in the morning and early evening; the bathroom was designed by an amateur who read too many glossy magazines before going into interior design (it looks great but doesn't work comfortably). We would definitely recommend the hotel to couples for a weekend break, and will return someday when the weather is warmer.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Small and chick hotel very close to everything. Staff were very helpful, gave us a quick tour of the hotel and facilities, unfortunately we had no time to use the pool or sauna. The rooms are super clean and beautiful and the breakfast is just the best. I know everyone is praising the food, yes, it is that good! Get a room with canal view if you can, you'll have a hard time leaving the place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple