We staid for 1 night in a superior luxury apartment which is located across the canal from the hotel reception.
We got a very good deal because we booked midweek, at a quiet season, last minute (same day), and the sauna/fitness center was closed for repairs so the owners gave us a good deal on the room.
We booked directly by calling the hotel. We originally choose this place because it is one of the only 4 stars in the center of Brugge with a sauna and wellness center (which was closed during our visit but they gave us a discount on the room for that reason).
The hotel is charming and decorated in richly colored velours with lots of antique touches and knicknacks everywhere. It does not have a chain hotel feel.
The outside of the hotel is discreet and not at all as fancy as others in its category; for a more luxurious feeling upon arrival the tuileries, ravenstein, or orangerie are good competitors.
The hotel is located on the prettiest canal in front of the oldest bridge in Brugge where all the tour boats stop for people to take pictures.
We had reserved the highest quality room but were first taken to a standard, canal view room and were not impressed (it seemed dusty, old, and not very fresh to me). It was a misunderstanding (? not sure in fact if it really was a misunderstanding, but anyway....)
We were taken across the street to the luxury rooms on the canal with private fireplace in the room. Rooms were recently refurbished, very rich textiles and colors, canopy bed, very nice and romantic.
These rooms are adjacent to the restaurant, which was closed on the night of our visit; I can imagine you may have some noise from the restaurant especially in good weather if people are eating outside you will definitely hear them thru the open window.
There was wifi in the main hotel but apparently it didn't reach to the annex across the canal so no wifi in the highest luxury rooms (bit odd no?)
Breakfast was great, in a pretty dining room. You had a good selection of ham, cheese, salmon, and you could order eggs, in addition to normal bread, jam, cereal, yogurt, fresh and dried fruit, etc.
All in all a good choice for a romantic escape of a day or two if:
- you get a good discount on the room
- you stay in the new luxury rooms across the canal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Die Swaene**** is a sanctuary overlooking one of the most picturesque canals, right at the very heart of the old historical city center and just a stone-throw away from the Market and Burg square. This prize-winning hotel is considered to be one of the most romantic and peaceful boutique hotels in Europe and is renown for its customer-friendliness and excellent service. Quite a unicum in this age of 'time is money' but here one still finds time to listen to the needs of the guest. Die Swaene**** has 24 elegantly furnished and individually decorated rooms and the public rooms have an atmosphere of times past. The authentic salon "Guild of Merchant Taylors" (1779) is classified heritage and a perfect place to relax by the fire-place after a day of exploring the beautiful city. Or do you prefer to take an aperitif in the cozy bar or have a plunge in the swimming pool with sauna? Its all possible in Die Swaene. At the opposite side of the canal one finds the "Pergola" wing with 8 Superior Deluxe rooms, each with fire-place in the room and view over the water. From Monday to Friday we offer a free guided tour with an English speaking guide. Die Swaene**** has everything to make your visit unforgettable ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Die Swaene reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Die Swaene Bruges
- Die Swaene Hotel Bruges