“Restaurant”
Review of Central

Central
Ranked #86 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The 14e menu looks Ok but they don't give it to you when you arrive-you have to ask for it. They don't provide water with the meal and when you ask you will be told they don't give tap water. You will pay 6e for still water. The food is very ordinary. The pate was served with lumps of onion. No bread - you have to pay extra for bread. The rabbit was dry and overcooked, smothered in a salty thick so called Flemish sauce. The dessert of the day was 1 scoop of vanilla ice-cream. I can get that anywhere. The waiters were able to speak a number of languages however they were clueless about the customers. Rude. They try to market you up with extra food and drinks- if you say no they ignore you. My advice is check the competition you could do a whole lot better. Don't eat here. It is Very poor.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue L

Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed two nights in this budget hotel and it's name reflects it's location. Our window looked down onto the central square and had the best view in Bruge of the bell tower. However there is no way to drive up to the hotel and no rear entrance which means quite a treck with your luggage which has to be taken through the restaurant and then up rather steep stairs. This is a very old building and has no lift. My husband who has trouble with walking distances found all this a trial. Although the room contained a large and very comfortable bed it was otherwise rather spartan. Of course we were not expecting total luxury at the price we had paid. The shower ensuite was spacious but the plumbing meant that as you showered you were stood ankle deep in water which took ages to drain away. In all the accommodation wasnokaybfor a couple of nights but I would not recommend it for a longer stay. The inclusive breakfast was simple but adequate and the staff were friendly and spoke good English. We only ate in the restaurant once and found the quality satisfactory but not the best we had in Bruge and it was quite expensive. All the places on the square charge a premium because of the location. You are much better advised to visit one of the eateries off the main tourist streets and ask for the local menu if you want real value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front. There really is no point in staying there unless you can appreciate th...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suenos-del-sol
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We arrived at the Hotel after finding underground car parkink at the (Bierkopf) car park we were staying for 2 nights we payed £280.00 for the four of us, so with that we were not expecting 5 star accomadation, however on opening the room door i was greeted by 18 mosqiutos! lovely i now have the bites to prove that lol!.i asked the hotel receptionionist for some fly spray and he did oblige, that fly spray aroma stayed in the room for the next 48hours though not good!. the bed was ok but there was no toilet or tea making facilities available and the curtains were hanging off the rail, the shower had a mind of its own hot cold hot cold!!!!!!.and could have been alot cleaner. there was only 1 coat hanger in he room and the towels were like british army issue.
The next morning we went down for breakfast which was very pleasant, toast, cheese ham. mini croissants and chocolate pastries and as much tea and coffeee as you liked.

the location of the hotel is perfect right on the square.

Prices in the centre of Bruges are very very expensive on the square at the meridan for example 15.50 euros for a full english breakfast and 8 euros for a pint of beer in some places wow!
we had a basic 2 course meal (PIZZA,CHICKEN ANDN STEW) for 4 with drinks and it came to 120 euros.PLUS TIPS!

Bruges is a lovely city with great architecture and character but you will need a big fat wallet

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I did not stay at the Hotel but my 3 friends and I had lunch there on our arrival for a weekend in Bruges - the 14 Euro menu sounded attractive.

The food itsesf was ok but there were many rip-offs and it turned out to be our most expensive meal in Bruges. We were offered a local beer and it turned out to cost nearly 10 euros, we offered some garlic bread for which were charged 5 euros per person!
I could go on - there was more, we did not leave a tip and I would avoid the place at all costs - there are much better places to eat in Bruges.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Bruges is such a wonderful city, it is a shame this hotel does not meet the standard. There is nothing wrong with staying in an older hotel, but it needs to be clean. This is an older hotel in the heart of Bruges. It is in a great location but poorly cleaned.

I was traveling with my mother, sister and brother-in-law. We made reservations however, we were running late and we called ahead to make sure someone would be there. We didn't arrive until 12:30 a.m. It took us about 30 minutes to find a parking place due to not being able to park near the hotel. The manager was very pleasant. The manager let us in and gave us three rooms for the price for two. One room had a toilet, no shower. The second room had a shower and no toilet, and the third room had both. So to have the amenities of two rooms, he gave us three. When we finally arrived in our room, upon initial inspection, they seemed fairly clean. However, it was upon closer inspection, the cleanliness was misleading. When we pulled back the duvet, there were several "questionable" black hairs in the bed. Then, we were inspecting all the beds. We did find additional hairs in the beds. During our ongoing investigation, the showers were not clean...hair everywhere. So, that told me, the showers had not been touched...at the bare minimal, the hairs should have been washed away. Needless to say, I took a shower with my flip-flops on and dripped dry....I was scared to use the towels. I don't know if I slept that night. The pillows and beds desperately needed updating. If it wasn't for the fact of arriving at 12:30 that morning, we would have moved on to another hotel....without hesitation.

The next morning, we had coffee and pastries. The staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank curlygirlie74
Reviewed 17 July 2010

We arrived late (around midnight) and checked in and if we were not as tired and as dead as we were from traveling all day we would of checked out within 20 minutes. I have traveled all over Asia (Cambodia, China, Vietnam, Japan), Europe (France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Germany, Italy) and to Australia and New Zealand. In all of my travels I have never experienced such a filthy hotel room. As soon as I pulled back the comforter the hairs on the bed were numerous and the sheets looked as if they had not been cleaned. The shower was the same way. The drain was propped up on the shower and the mold along with hairs were everywhere. I had to literally talk myself into even laying down on the bed. I did eventually do so and did sleep in my clothes because I did not want any part of my body touching the sheets. I did not shower however, my daughter did shower with her shoes on. It is a hotel room that I will not soon forget and I strongly encourage you to not stay here. It was filthy!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank oliviainal
Reviewed 7 July 2010

we stayed one night and found the shower didn't drain and not clean. hotel and restaurant staff rude.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple