“Quirky” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Aurora, Colorado
“Quirky”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

I read a review that said this was a quirky hotel, very true! I was quite pleased with the excellent location and enjoyed my room on the top floor with a view of the square. I enjoyed the kindness of the servers in the restaurant, especially since I was traveling alone. I knew that I would be checking in at the bar, but if I hadn't known, that would have been a big surprise. The room was average, just what I'd expected. I had a comfortable bed and a bathroom. I did have wifi, which was important to me. The breakfast included a few meats and cheeses and breads, sufficient. It was an affordable, pleasant way to spend my days in Bruges. Most of all I appreciated the kindness of the entire staff!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

As always, I was looking for a budget hotel to allow us to spend some time in Bruges.

I found the Central Hotel, and checked the reviews on here, so decided it would be good enough for us. I was able to park in the nearby underground carpark, (Biekof? 9 Euros for 24hours) and walked around to the hotel. It was a bit strange walking through the pavement cafe and restaurant, and booking in at the bar. We were given an old fashioned key and a fob for after the restaurant was shut. No 24 hour support. If you had a problem, you had two phone numbers to call.

There was a long stair case (longer after a few beers!) to the first floor. We were in room 1. This was a double room, and had en suite shower and toilet. The bedding was clean, but the room was generally rather grubby. There was no view and just outside our window was flat roof of the kitchen, with a large vent right next to the window, which was quite noisy and smelt of cooking (making the room a tad smelly, too). Strangely, we had people coming into our room by mistake on several occasions - not sure why, but after that we kept our door locked.

There was no television, no hair dryer, no tea making facilities. No WIFI reception. More of a hostel than a hotel, to be honest. I had prepared though, by taking my travel kettle and a hairdryer. There is a Carrefour a couple of doors down for milk and tea bags, biscuits etc, which is quite cheap.

The hotel breakfast was lovely with cheese, hams and salami (for meat eaters), and a range of breads and pastries. Some mornings you might get cereal and yoghurts, too. The staff were all male, and tended to look like bouncers, except for Gita the cleaner.

I paid 316 Euros for 4 nights B+B. I'm vegetarian, and there was nothing on the menu at the hotel that I could eat for lunch or dinner, so I can't comment on that. Also, a coffee cost 5 Euros, compared with 2.5 Euros in other cafes, so we only had one at the hotel during our stay.
Positives:
Very central; quiet room (other than vent); hot water and good shower; clean toilet. clean bed linen; comfy bed. nice breakfast.
Negatives:
Mold in shower cubicle; No view. no basic room facilities. No WIFI anywhere in hotel.

All in all, I was a little disappointed by the hotel room but it was made up for by the location which was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
New Earswick, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Upon our arrival we were made to feel very welcome.We were a little too early for check in,we asked if we could leave our bags and were advised where we could do so. On checking in, we were given all the usual info about entering building after hours,and breakfast times etc. We had booked 2 double rooms for the four of us. Immediately on entering our room I was impressed with the size of the room and indeed the bed. The bathroom was an odd shape but perfectly equipped for the one night we were staying. Whilst using the loo,I noticed on the wall opposite what seemed to be either flecks of blood or another dark coloured bodily fluid.The shower cubicle was covered in mildew and the floor beneath the radiator in the bathroom had clearly never seen a sweeping brush or duster in its seemingly long lifetime!There were nooks that were too filthy and could easily have been dusted with a little effort. On closer inspection of the room itself,I noticed the walls were dirty in places and scuffed and it appeared an electrical point had been papered over. The head board on the bed (which was some 4 inches or so wide) was thick with dust. On the day of departure I had lost the keys to my baggage.We looked under the bed for them only to discover a pile of clothing stuffed under there-not ours!Obviously they had been left by a former guest,but it leaves one wondering why they had been left undiscovered by cleaning staff! Once we had gathered together our things we went to the room of my brother and sister in law,where I was quite suprised firstly by the smell of stagnant water seemingly emitting from the communal loo on the landing next to their room.Secondly on the wall above the bed, (which was equally as dusty as ours had been),there was what looked like bare wiring poking slightly through the wall. I'm no expert,but surely these should be taped up at least? Overall,for 89 euros,very disappointing rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

My fiance and I stayed here last weekend during a weekend in Bruges. We were greeted by friendly staff and given the keys to our room. The room was nothing fancy, a little rough around the edges, but was comfy and clean and quiet despite the central location. The staff were great at recommending local pubs to visit, and were friendly throughout the whole stay. The breakfast that was included was great, with a range of breads, croissants etc and was a nice touch.

The staff were so friendly in fact, that we even decided to order one of their ridiculously overpriced beers as we were leaving! €6 each for a Kriek beer makes this by far the most expensive place we drank in Bruges (other places ranged from €2.75 - €4 for the same), but we swallowed the cost as we wanted to chill out with a view of the square whilst enjoying the Sunday sun.

Overall I would recommend if you are after something lo-cost and central, but do not eat or drink here unless doing so as part of the included breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FloraLyd17
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

My friend and I travelled to Brugge for a one-night stop over in October 2012 and arrived at Hotel Central.
The hotel was very clean but rather basic, the bathroom was small, and there were no windows, so no views :( The room itsef had a very comfy double bed, but no TV or coffee making facilities, we did however had unlimited access to free Wifi and was great for an overnight stop.

The Staff in the Hotel/resturant were incredibly friendly and went out of the way to satisfy their guests. On our morning of leaving, we had a continental breakfast included in our price which consisted of all you can eat toast, coissants and pain au chocolate's, cerials and yogurts. There was also a seslection of fruit juices, teas and coffees.

The hotel was in a very central location in the market square, however noise levels were a minimal.

A very nice hotel, I would definately go to again :)

Room Tip: For a view ask for a front facing room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sammy435
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Stayed here for one night on a sunday-chanced parking on the street as we arrived on Sunday afternoon and were leaving at 8am- chance paid off no ticket and saved our selves £20!!

didnt realise if we were in the right place initially, as you walk into a restaurant- but ask a waiter (very friendly) and they will guide you.

basic room double bed, shower and sink. Shared toilet. A;though was apprehensive about this did not see anyone else so was fine.

Located right on the square- ideal location, great breakfast, quiet by night.

Will be taking my family back again!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
porto heli, greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

The check in was quick and efficient and the map to find the carpark was much appreciated! Our room was a bit shabby and not spotless but was very comfy and quiet. we had a great nights sleep there. perfect after a long day from driving and before a day of sightseeing. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpfull and breakfast was delicious and fresh. We'd definatley stay here again aqs the location was just spot on!

Room Tip: We had room 8 with a view of the back of the buildings. We weren't worried about a view though a...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple