“friendly hotel”
Review of Central

Central
Ranked #86 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed at the Central Hotel for 2 nights & had a great time. The staff were friendly & very helpful. The room was very pleasant, quiet basic but nicely decorated & presented & it had everything you needed. The bathroom was good with a nice shower & very clean. The restaurant was very nicely presented & the breakfast was excellent! Nice choice of different breads, ham, cheese,butter & jam. Cereals & yoghurt & on your table a basket with rolls, pain chocolat, croissants & danish pastry & as much coffee as you want, great start to the day! We are planning to go back soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 303wendy62

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We have just had the most horrible experience in Hotel Central Restaurant, IT IS BEYOND BELIEF. We were four of us sharing a bottle of wine before asking the waiter for the menu and ordered some food. We then discovered that there is more than one menu - we noticed at least three different. Different people were given different menus. We asked (it was no more that 2 to 3 minutes after we had ordered) if we could change our order but NO! Could we stick to the starter and just change the main course? NO !!! IT IS IN THE SYSTEM SO YOU CAN'T CHANGE !!! The waiter didn't care at all. We asked why other guests could order pizza as it was not on the menu we had been given. OH, BUT YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR THAT MENU THE WAITER REPLIED !!! And also YOU ARE SITTING IN THE WRONG PLACE. We couldn't order food from other menus where we were sitting and also WE USED THE LEFT ENTRANCE AND NOT THE RIGHT !!! We thought he must be joking but no he wasn't. Our starter was served, well the plates was handed to you and you had to grab the plates before it otherwise landed in your lap. Two of us had a salad with goats cheese. There was so much grit in the lettuce as if it had not been rinsed, the bacon was sooo fatty and really horrible, there was a huge block of cold (should have been warm) goats cheese, the grated carrot (we think it was carrot but it didn't taste of anything) was rubbery and it was the biggest starter we had ever experienced. Then to the mains. Three of us ordered tagliatelle with prawns. We had the biggest plate of food we had ever seen, and again it was completely tasteless. If we closed our eyes we wouldn't be able to tell what we were eating. All it was, was pasta, loads of cream and four - yes 4 prawns. It was horrible and we simply couldn't eat it.
The waiter simply didn't care, he shook his shoulders, laughed and had completely the wrong attitude. He didn't say sorry or offered a discount or anything else. And hold on - we paid 245 Euros which was 245 Euros too much. Thankfully we didn’t stay in their hotel !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank M M
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Hotel is located in the center of the beautiful city of Bruges. The rooms are very small with old furniture. Doors on rooms are with the glass. Small bed, bad view from the window.The staff is friendly, the food is basic.The hotel is rather expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I read a review that said this was a quirky hotel, very true! I was quite pleased with the excellent location and enjoyed my room on the top floor with a view of the square. I enjoyed the kindness of the servers in the restaurant, especially since I was traveling alone. I knew that I would be checking in at the bar, but if I hadn't known, that would have been a big surprise. The room was average, just what I'd expected. I had a comfortable bed and a bathroom. I did have wifi, which was important to me. The breakfast included a few meats and cheeses and breads, sufficient. It was an affordable, pleasant way to spend my days in Bruges. Most of all I appreciated the kindness of the entire staff!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2013

As always, I was looking for a budget hotel to allow us to spend some time in Bruges.

I found the Central Hotel, and checked the reviews on here, so decided it would be good enough for us. I was able to park in the nearby underground carpark, (Biekof? 9 Euros for 24hours) and walked around to the hotel. It was a bit strange walking through the pavement cafe and restaurant, and booking in at the bar. We were given an old fashioned key and a fob for after the restaurant was shut. No 24 hour support. If you had a problem, you had two phone numbers to call.

There was a long stair case (longer after a few beers!) to the first floor. We were in room 1. This was a double room, and had en suite shower and toilet. The bedding was clean, but the room was generally rather grubby. There was no view and just outside our window was flat roof of the kitchen, with a large vent right next to the window, which was quite noisy and smelt of cooking (making the room a tad smelly, too). Strangely, we had people coming into our room by mistake on several occasions - not sure why, but after that we kept our door locked.

There was no television, no hair dryer, no tea making facilities. No WIFI reception. More of a hostel than a hotel, to be honest. I had prepared though, by taking my travel kettle and a hairdryer. There is a Carrefour a couple of doors down for milk and tea bags, biscuits etc, which is quite cheap.

The hotel breakfast was lovely with cheese, hams and salami (for meat eaters), and a range of breads and pastries. Some mornings you might get cereal and yoghurts, too. The staff were all male, and tended to look like bouncers, except for Gita the cleaner.

I paid 316 Euros for 4 nights B+B. I'm vegetarian, and there was nothing on the menu at the hotel that I could eat for lunch or dinner, so I can't comment on that. Also, a coffee cost 5 Euros, compared with 2.5 Euros in other cafes, so we only had one at the hotel during our stay.
Positives:
Very central; quiet room (other than vent); hot water and good shower; clean toilet. clean bed linen; comfy bed. nice breakfast.
Negatives:
Mold in shower cubicle; No view. no basic room facilities. No WIFI anywhere in hotel.

All in all, I was a little disappointed by the hotel room but it was made up for by the location which was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Upon our arrival we were made to feel very welcome.We were a little too early for check in,we asked if we could leave our bags and were advised where we could do so. On checking in, we were given all the usual info about entering building after hours,and breakfast times etc. We had booked 2 double rooms for the four of us. Immediately on entering our room I was impressed with the size of the room and indeed the bed. The bathroom was an odd shape but perfectly equipped for the one night we were staying. Whilst using the loo,I noticed on the wall opposite what seemed to be either flecks of blood or another dark coloured bodily fluid.The shower cubicle was covered in mildew and the floor beneath the radiator in the bathroom had clearly never seen a sweeping brush or duster in its seemingly long lifetime!There were nooks that were too filthy and could easily have been dusted with a little effort. On closer inspection of the room itself,I noticed the walls were dirty in places and scuffed and it appeared an electrical point had been papered over. The head board on the bed (which was some 4 inches or so wide) was thick with dust. On the day of departure I had lost the keys to my baggage.We looked under the bed for them only to discover a pile of clothing stuffed under there-not ours!Obviously they had been left by a former guest,but it leaves one wondering why they had been left undiscovered by cleaning staff! Once we had gathered together our things we went to the room of my brother and sister in law,where I was quite suprised firstly by the smell of stagnant water seemingly emitting from the communal loo on the landing next to their room.Secondly on the wall above the bed, (which was equally as dusty as ours had been),there was what looked like bare wiring poking slightly through the wall. I'm no expert,but surely these should be taped up at least? Overall,for 89 euros,very disappointing rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My fiance and I stayed here last weekend during a weekend in Bruges. We were greeted by friendly staff and given the keys to our room. The room was nothing fancy, a little rough around the edges, but was comfy and clean and quiet despite the central location. The staff were great at recommending local pubs to visit, and were friendly throughout the whole stay. The breakfast that was included was great, with a range of breads, croissants etc and was a nice touch.

The staff were so friendly in fact, that we even decided to order one of their ridiculously overpriced beers as we were leaving! €6 each for a Kriek beer makes this by far the most expensive place we drank in Bruges (other places ranged from €2.75 - €4 for the same), but we swallowed the cost as we wanted to chill out with a view of the square whilst enjoying the Sunday sun.

Overall I would recommend if you are after something lo-cost and central, but do not eat or drink here unless doing so as part of the included breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple