“Brilliant value place to stay in Bruges!”
Review of Central

Central
Ranked #89 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Dublin, Ireland
“Brilliant value place to stay in Bruges!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Glad I didn't find this place on tripadvisor before booking because I wouldn't have based on the restaurant reviews. But there's nothing wrong at all with this place as a hotel. The staff were all really friendly to us. The room was immaculate and you can see from our picture that we probably had one of the best views in bruges! The breakfast was quite nice too. It was a fairly typical continental breakfast but the bread and pastries were really fresh.

1 Thank EoinkellyNaas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hanoi
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

Rooms are clean, staff are friendly and helpful. There is no coffee facility, nor is there a tv, but there is free wifi and you can always get tv if you have a tablet computer or suchlike. Hotel is very central, but Bruges is small and any hotel in the centre will be close to attractions.the tourist office is across the square. Buy the city guide for €5 and it will tell you what you need to know to get acquainted with Bruges. There are also guided walking tours in the guide.Bruges is a great place to visit for 2-3days, and this hotel is a comfortable place to stay.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed at the Central Hotel for 2 nights & had a great time. The staff were friendly & very helpful. The room was very pleasant, quiet basic but nicely decorated & presented & it had everything you needed. The bathroom was good with a nice shower & very clean. The restaurant was very nicely presented & the breakfast was excellent! Nice choice of different breads, ham, cheese,butter & jam. Cereals & yoghurt & on your table a basket with rolls, pain chocolat, croissants & danish pastry & as much coffee as you want, great start to the day! We are planning to go back soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 303wendy62
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We have just had the most horrible experience in Hotel Central Restaurant, IT IS BEYOND BELIEF. We were four of us sharing a bottle of wine before asking the waiter for the menu and ordered some food. We then discovered that there is more than one menu - we noticed at least three different. Different people were given different menus. We asked (it was no more that 2 to 3 minutes after we had ordered) if we could change our order but NO! Could we stick to the starter and just change the main course? NO !!! IT IS IN THE SYSTEM SO YOU CAN'T CHANGE !!! The waiter didn't care at all. We asked why other guests could order pizza as it was not on the menu we had been given. OH, BUT YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR THAT MENU THE WAITER REPLIED !!! And also YOU ARE SITTING IN THE WRONG PLACE. We couldn't order food from other menus where we were sitting and also WE USED THE LEFT ENTRANCE AND NOT THE RIGHT !!! We thought he must be joking but no he wasn't. Our starter was served, well the plates was handed to you and you had to grab the plates before it otherwise landed in your lap. Two of us had a salad with goats cheese. There was so much grit in the lettuce as if it had not been rinsed, the bacon was sooo fatty and really horrible, there was a huge block of cold (should have been warm) goats cheese, the grated carrot (we think it was carrot but it didn't taste of anything) was rubbery and it was the biggest starter we had ever experienced. Then to the mains. Three of us ordered tagliatelle with prawns. We had the biggest plate of food we had ever seen, and again it was completely tasteless. If we closed our eyes we wouldn't be able to tell what we were eating. All it was, was pasta, loads of cream and four - yes 4 prawns. It was horrible and we simply couldn't eat it.
The waiter simply didn't care, he shook his shoulders, laughed and had completely the wrong attitude. He didn't say sorry or offered a discount or anything else. And hold on - we paid 245 Euros which was 245 Euros too much. Thankfully we didn’t stay in their hotel !!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank M M

Travellers are raving about these Bruges hotels

Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Hotel is located in the center of the beautiful city of Bruges. The rooms are very small with old furniture. Doors on rooms are with the glass. Small bed, bad view from the window.The staff is friendly, the food is basic.The hotel is rather expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I read a review that said this was a quirky hotel, very true! I was quite pleased with the excellent location and enjoyed my room on the top floor with a view of the square. I enjoyed the kindness of the servers in the restaurant, especially since I was traveling alone. I knew that I would be checking in at the bar, but if I hadn't known, that would have been a big surprise. The room was average, just what I'd expected. I had a comfortable bed and a bathroom. I did have wifi, which was important to me. The breakfast included a few meats and cheeses and breads, sufficient. It was an affordable, pleasant way to spend my days in Bruges. Most of all I appreciated the kindness of the entire staff!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

As always, I was looking for a budget hotel to allow us to spend some time in Bruges.

I found the Central Hotel, and checked the reviews on here, so decided it would be good enough for us. I was able to park in the nearby underground carpark, (Biekof? 9 Euros for 24hours) and walked around to the hotel. It was a bit strange walking through the pavement cafe and restaurant, and booking in at the bar. We were given an old fashioned key and a fob for after the restaurant was shut. No 24 hour support. If you had a problem, you had two phone numbers to call.

There was a long stair case (longer after a few beers!) to the first floor. We were in room 1. This was a double room, and had en suite shower and toilet. The bedding was clean, but the room was generally rather grubby. There was no view and just outside our window was flat roof of the kitchen, with a large vent right next to the window, which was quite noisy and smelt of cooking (making the room a tad smelly, too). Strangely, we had people coming into our room by mistake on several occasions - not sure why, but after that we kept our door locked.

There was no television, no hair dryer, no tea making facilities. No WIFI reception. More of a hostel than a hotel, to be honest. I had prepared though, by taking my travel kettle and a hairdryer. There is a Carrefour a couple of doors down for milk and tea bags, biscuits etc, which is quite cheap.

The hotel breakfast was lovely with cheese, hams and salami (for meat eaters), and a range of breads and pastries. Some mornings you might get cereal and yoghurts, too. The staff were all male, and tended to look like bouncers, except for Gita the cleaner.

I paid 316 Euros for 4 nights B+B. I'm vegetarian, and there was nothing on the menu at the hotel that I could eat for lunch or dinner, so I can't comment on that. Also, a coffee cost 5 Euros, compared with 2.5 Euros in other cafes, so we only had one at the hotel during our stay.
Positives:
Very central; quiet room (other than vent); hot water and good shower; clean toilet. clean bed linen; comfy bed. nice breakfast.
Negatives:
Mold in shower cubicle; No view. no basic room facilities. No WIFI anywhere in hotel.

All in all, I was a little disappointed by the hotel room but it was made up for by the location which was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.