It was our second time in this hotel; we stayed for one night in May 2012, four years after our first visit to Brugge in 2008.
Since then it reinforced the impression that it is a sort of place that lives off its location. This time again we had a canal facing room and the view was simply marvelous. You open the window and the festive sounds of people entertaining themselves fill the room. The experience can be compared to staying at the Grand canal in Venice, but on a smaller scale as the canal and the boat procession in Bruges are truly tiny compared to La Serenissima; yet they have their own charm due to its miniature scale.
The good things about this hotel are:
1. Our classic canal-facing room was nice and cozy, styled in weathered wood with Flemish accents and colors as from a Flemish still-life – pale and grey, discreet and tranquil, matching the water color palette outside. The chairs were inviting, although the room was so small, perhaps they should not be there.
2. The king bed was truly excellent, extremely large and comfortable, with a warm and soft blanket and superb sheets.
3. The bathroom was adequate, although for the rate it had no bathtub, no window, only a very good shower. The design was high quality, though – all marble. The bathrobes were a pleasant touch.
4. The hotel is splendidly and stylishly decorated, with exquisite antiques, opulent curtains, period furniture, leather chairs in the breakfast room – definitely the design is well-thought through and restrained; the public rooms are fascinating.
5. The breakfast was quite rich, with various breads, cold cuts and champagne. However it is extra, not included in the room price, and for the rate very expensive.
6. The location was the best possible, on the canal and in the very center of the city; the location is the strongest point of this hotel.
7. The WiFi connection was very good in the room, both my Android phone and computer worked well with it. It was the only extra that came for free.
8. The personnel were friendly, helping with my bags.
Not so good:
1. Although the room was warm and cozy, it felt very small. The ceiling was not high and it felt as in a nice candy box. Our bags filled the room to capacity; there was no space to hide them somewhere.
2. There was very, very little closet space, and its organization was very old-fashioned and inefficient.
3. Breakfast was expensive. Even if we knew that it was extra, somehow it felt inhospitable. I’d rather if they increase the room price and not charge for breakfast separately.
4. Parking was away, but that was to be expected.
5. There was no minibar, no tea/coffee maker in the room.
Overall, this hotel is good for special occasions only, when one wishes to have a fancy of a room with a Bruges water view. Therefore it is hard to judge it as not having a good value, since for those who must have it the hotel is a great place. But somehow the view, albeit beautiful, did not seem to compensate for the lack of comforts, considering the overall bill.
After staying one night, we left without regrets and even with relief – one night was definitely enough to experience this place again, although it really did not change except for the rates. I expected more, but that was only the same view!
While this is a cute hotel, I am not sure we’ll stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Romantic boutique hotel housed in extraordinary waterfront residence, decorated with antiques, objects of art and luxurious fabrics. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce - Luxe Worldwide Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce Bruges
- Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce Hotel Bruges