“Renovations restrict the space”

Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk
Book In Advance
More Info
US$167.72*
and up
Private Tour: Ghent and Bruges Day Trip from...
Ranked #29 of 155 things to do in Bruges
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The 115 metres high brick tower of the Church of Our Lady is a perfect illustration of the craftsmanship of Bruges' artisans. The church displays a valuable art collection: Michelangelo's world-famous Madonna and Child, countless paintings, 13th-century painted sepulchres and the tombs of Mary of Burgundy and Charles the Bold.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 6 May 2014

An interesting building but all the renovations restrict the space. I was there with Waynflete Singers to give a concert. We had a good audience that, I think, would have been larger if there had been more space. I had a look at the Michelangelo sculpture but in reality it did nothing for me. The main organ is out of use because of the renovations so we had the use of a temporary one which was very good, but I would have liked to hear the main one. The exterior of the building is very impressive. I just wonder how they managed to lay all the bricks so perfectly. A fascinating building worth a short visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"on display"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 6 May 2014

On our visit the church was undergoing repairs so the entry fee was reduced , worth a look for the furniture and sculptures also maybe a chance of a concert

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The exterior of the church is much more impressive than the inside - I visited while they were restoring one part so I was not able to see it all... however, what I saw did not impress me at all.
Not even the famous Michelangelo sculpture is worth its visit. I am a big fan of Michelangelo and wanted to see the statue but there is nothing of Michelangelo's pathos to it - if you compare it to his other works you would not believe it is coming from his workshop!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

From the outside, the church itself looks magnificent, as seen from a tour boat along the canal. It's a pity I wan unable to make my way there on foot to check out the interior.