“Exceptional! One of the best”

Hotel Prinsenhof Bruges
Ranked #2 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
“Exceptional! One of the best”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Fantastic hotel. One of the best I've stayed in. The reception lady, Karen, was the best. Extremely caring and helpful.

Room, breakfast, location everything was perfect. Hope more hotels are like this small treasure.

Room Tip: Room 28.... lovely color
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I am often concerned about the first hotel I check into after a long trip overseas. Inevitably the stress of travel, the long lines and time change play havoc on the body and soul. Such was the case in mid April when my wife Robin and I travelled from Chicago to Brussels and then on by local train to Bruges. Upon arriving in Brussels it became clear that we had arrived that Monday morning smack in the middle of a national (Easter) holiday. Trains were filled from end to end, the weather, already warm by most standards for April in the low countries was actually hot and humid. As we made our way to Bruges I was prepared for a let down thinking that our room at the hotel probably wasn't ready and that one hassle after another would be our fate. I'm never usually this grouchy however I have not had good luck in the past with first day arrivals! Imagine my surprise when we arrived at the lovely Hotel Prinsenhof down a cobble stone side street where we were greeted by a helpful attendant who had our keys ready and a smile as big as a full moon. Our upgraded room (with a comfortable sitting porch) was situated toward the back of the hotel away from the street overlooking the rooftops of this grand medieval city. I had been to Bruges 40 years earlier as a student and found the City to be at the time...well lets say.....quiet and somewhat boring. As an older and wiser person we found Bruges to be just that and were thankful for it! The Hotel Prinsenhof deserves its positive ranking. It's clean, well designed and sumptuous. Our buffet breakfast (included) the next morning was outstanding. In fact Robin and I went to bed each night discussing what we would eat the next day (this actually is a pattern of ours...with little responsibility all free time is spent discussing what we want to eat, what we are eating or what we are having tomorrow!). The buffet was overflowing with an assortment of European and American delicacies. Best of all the coffee was supreme! I could go on about the room appointments, size and colors however I'll leave that for your imagination (or the internet). Suffice it to say the rooms were spacious, beautifully decorated and quiet. What more does a body need after a long voyage? Hotel Prinsenhof gets our highest marks as one of the best of the best small boutique hotels we encountered on the trip. As for Bruges...whatever is missing in nightlife is more then made up with in period architecture, great food and a long and illustrious history.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WorldawayChicago
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

What a fanastic hotel, great location, comfortable rooms, loved your new hot chocolate machine it was great to come back to a warm drink after a long day exploring your beautiful city.

The welcome we received from Karen was so warm and friendly. She always had a smile, a recommendation for dinner (we even had a challenge to see how many ribs we could eat at the fantastic Ribs & Beer). Karen is a real asset to your hotel.

The awards you have won are well deserved and I can see why you are #1 on Trip Advisor, it is those little things that go a long way, so often when you travel you are just a number to the hotel but this certainly not so at the Prinsenhof.

Thank you for 4 memorable days, we hope to come back and visit you in the future.

Warm regards Andrea & John

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We visited in Dec '12 just before Christmas time, having read the reviews on Tripadvisor. Very elegant hotel, the room was really quirky and the bathroom amazing. We only ate in the restaurant on the last morning for breakfast before we left for the airport but it was great.

We did have a slight issue though when we first arrived as the gentleman on reception informed us that the previous occupants in our room had left with the key, so they didn't have a key to give us for the room until the next day when they were going to get a new one cut. We accepted this was not their fault at all, but it did mean when we left to go out for dinner we were unable to lock our door. I told the reception I was obviously concerned about this in the hope we'd maybe be offered to change room but they just reassured me that it was safe as there would be somebody on the reception the whole night keeping an eye out. I wasn't totally comfortable about it but didn't want to cause any problems so just had to deal with it. Thankfully we were given our key when we went out the next morning so I had peace of mind at last.

Bruges itself is absolutely beautiful, it was just a shame about the weather as it rained for the whole 3 days but we're used to that coming from Scotland!

Would definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Outstanding in every sense. Centrally located but extremely quiet - just off one of the main shopping streets. Highly professional, very friendly staff. Comfortable modern room with numerous amenities. Simply great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liverpool1023
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I cannot say enough to express my satisfaction of this hotel. The staff was not only professional courtesy, they went above and beyond any expectation I could have had. The personal touches, added so much to our stay, from the turn down service, clean rooms making of dinner reservations to the heated towel rack in the bath! If my travels bring me back I would not hesitate to stay at this property again!!

Room Tip: if traveling with another party where 2 rooms are needed their rooms were private with 1 entry to bo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank arbedbrggevacation
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

You will find the little gem in the Centre of Brugge, warm and friendly staff, accommodating and comfortable we came back from a night out and chatted in the bar to the wee hours.

this was a perfect for the week end away

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends