“Beautiful hotel, wonderful people. Such an amazing experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Prinsenhof Bruges

Hotel Prinsenhof Bruges
Ranked #2 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, wonderful people. Such an amazing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the end of July for my girlfriend's birthday and we booked the romantic package offered on their website. This includes welcome drinks, glass of champagne each with breakfast (both days), chocolates and flowers in the room, dinner at a local (5 mins walk) restaurant, romantic horse and carriage ride round the city and more. We were also given a bonus drink on the second day as it was her birthday!

As I wanted the weekend to be perfect, I had made the reservation several months in advance and in the meantime I had several questions and I was a bit of a difficult customer - changing the restaurant booking and then changing it back again. All the while, I received prompt, courteous and helpful replies. I really felt that the staff wanted us to have a great experience and they made sure that we did.

This was only confirmed when we arrived - Karen, who welcomed us and had also responded to some of my emails, even the night before we arrived, was very warm and friendly, courteous and helpful. We felt as if she couldn't do enough to make us happy and she deserves a special mention, though all of the staff were lovely, smiling and saying hello whenever they walked past us, making us feel very welcome and relaxed.

The location is ideal, it's tucked away up a little side street that seems a world away from the bustle of the shopping streets and the main square, yet nothing of interest is more than 10-15 mins walk away along the charming cobbled streets. It's a lovely, quiet little spot and we were never bothered by any noise.

The interior and exterior of the hotel are very attractive and well kept. The decor and lighting give a warm, cosy feeling to the place, while being clean and tidy. The hotel felt quite smart without being too ostentatious. The room was clean and very luxurious. We had a nice, big 4-poster bed, 2 little chairs and a low table (on which was provided a bowl of fresh fruit and a bottle of mineral water). There was a nice big wardrobe (more than enough for our two night stay!) with extra bedding and a safe with electronic code lock. The bathroom was lovely - very clean and well lit, with black granite vanity and two basins overlooked by a nice big mirror. There was a large magnifying mirror for shaving, on a swing arm on the wall, plus a hairdryer next to it. There was a shower cubicle with two heads - a hand held one and a large fixed one overhead. The bath was easily big enough to fit both of us comfortably and had jacuzzi jets all along the bottom, which was lovely after sitting on trains for 3hrs!

Breakfast was lovely (especially the aforementioned glass of bubbly!), there was a plentiful selection, including cereals, several different breads and rolls, smoked salmon, various cold meats (salami, parma ham, etc.) and cheeses (enough to keep a cheeseaholic like me happy!), along with sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, mushrooms etc. Anyone wanting something different (e.g. poached egg) had only to ask and it was never too much trouble. I will write a separate review for the restaurant that the hotel booked us into for dinner (their recommendation), but suffice to say that it also was very good.

We had the most wonderful stay in Bruges (our first time visiting Belgium) and my lady had a very happy birthday. We will most definitely be visiting this beautiful, romantic city again and when we do, there is no question that we will be staying at the Hotel Prinsenhof again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 32, overlooking the rear terrace. Even though this is the car park, it was very qu...
      Rooms
4 Thank geraintwd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just returned from a 2 day break in the lovely city of Bruges. The Hotel Prinsenhof was quite simply superb. From the moment we arrived, the staff could have not been more attentive, helpful, friendly and professional. We received a complimentary upgrade to a Superior Deluxe Room in the original building which was perfect in every way . Spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and excellently appointed. The enormous bed was comfortable and beautifully dressed. The hotel itself is in the centre of the city but it is so quiet and peaceful. Stepping inside the hotel you can see why it attracts so many great reviews. The decoration is tasteful and fitting for what should be a 5 Star boutique hotel. The things that set this hotel part from the others are the amazing staff, the little additions such as the weather forecast card with the turn down service, the box of tissues in the valet parked car, the design and the ambience. I could not fault the Prinsenhof in any way.

Room Tip: Stay in the old part of the hotel as the new annexe appears to be in courtyard at the rear of the ho...
2 Thank Math1966
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel Prinsenhof and we're delighted with our choice. The hotel is tucked down a little side street, but very near to all the sights. It was very quiet and a haven to return to after a hot day sightseeing. The breakfast was lovely and the service very friendly and attentive. We have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world and usually have to turn off the air-con at night as it is too noisy, but here the air-con was virtually silent. Marvellous!

We would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank denros
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our trip encompassed a great deal of Belgium and part of France, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands. We stayed at the Hotel Princenhof for two nights. The service was exemplary. The hotel staffed helped us rent a car from Avis so that we could visit Westvletren. The price was reasonable. We asked about Flemish restaurants after our exhausting day trip, and the staff recommended a wonderful, romantic restaurant and gave us a card to enjoy a free (albeit small) glass of bubbly as an apertif. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bruges.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Laura A
Shoreham by Sea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is very popular, and I can see why. It was very good for us too, except it fell down continuously on service. Let me explain.
Upon arrival we went to reception to check in, as everyone has to. No one was about. We rang the bell. Nothing. Then a receptionist appeared, swanned past us into reception without saying a word and continued to talk to another couple (who were ahead of us) for 5 minutes or so about the town of Bruges. My wife and I looked at each other, didn’t say anything (unlike us!) but went with it. Then it was our turn to check in, and the girl was great. And she went through the same procedure obviously as the previous couple. Not only checking us in but taking us to our room and telling us about Bruges and things to do. And here’s the rub – while doing this for us 2 couples were waiting behind us and she completely ignored them also. So it wasn’t just us she ignored, it was everyone. As someone who deals with customers every day, wouldn’t it have been easy just to say to us (and the other 2 waiting couples) something along the lines of “I’ll be with you as soon as I’ve finished here”. Anything really to acknowledge us, that’s all. The fact she didn’t seemed just plain weird. Is it the Belgians! Or just her? I don’t know and don’t really care; all I do know was that it was a terrible start and first impression of this hotel.
The good about this hotel was the décor and position. It’s positioned in a very quiet road close to the best bits of Bruges, and the hotel itself is lovely, in a boutique type of way. I really liked it, but some won’t. If you think boutique you’ll know what to expect.
The rooms are great too, although definitely on the small side. Lovely big, wide bed, very comfortable and great air con also. A big screen TV (that shows some BBC channels) is right in front of the bed so that was good. A very nice bathroom finished off what was an excellently thought out room. But here’s another issue I came across. We wanted room service and so tried to ring down from the in-room phone. It wasn’t working, so I popped down the 3 floors and told reception and placed my order. Again, their reaction seemed to tell me they had no idea how to deal with a problem. When I reported the fault I got a blank look and an “ok” and that was it. No “sorry”, no “we’ll get it fixed” etc, just a blank look and a non-caring attitude. During our 2-day stay I wanted room service 3 times and each time I had to wander downstairs just to place an order. When we left we again reported the broken phone and again all we got was “ok”. No apology again and really they couldn’t have cared. Very odd. As I said earlier, was it the Belgian attitude? Or just these particular staff members? I’ll never know because I won’t return but it was a real shame as the hotel was excellent.
The reception staff could take a lesson from the very extrovert lady who does breakfast. Whenever she was busy she never forgot to acknowledge people who had just arrived. Everyone loved her and she ran a very tight ship.

Also, I would recommend anyone who uses the hotel’s car park (only 6 spaces) NOT to hand reception their car keys. This was requested of me as it’s “standard procedure” and “security” but I refused. Again this put them out and they didn’t know how to react. I refused because I have an expensive car and also because my insurance carries a “key policy”, as does most other car insurance. If any damage is done to the car and you have voluntarily given up your keys to another driver your insurance in invalid. You would have to be certain the hotel has insurance to cover any damage, and how can you know? Especially as this is a small family run hotel and I should imagine this insurance is very expensive for any hotel.
Finally, I actually would recommend this hotel. The big things are done right, but I would very much tell everyone that service is just a bit weird and needs improving. And to everyone who works in a hotel, “sorry” works wonders!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Teamtango
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Prinsenhoff just before Christmas. And thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

We came to Bruges for the Christmas market which was a little disappointing but the hotel made up for it. A very cosy living room with an open fire and Christmas tree greeted us as checked in. The room wasn't huge but very comfy with a nice bathroom with a great walk in shower and spa bath.

Breakfast was a continental style with a good range of cold meats and cheese and even champagne for the indulgent.

Stayed December 2013
Vaasa, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We started our short trip through Belgium and Luxembourg in Bruges, staying at Prinsenhof. A word that repeatedly came to our minds whilst staying at Prinsenhof was ambience.

The personnel greeted us very warmly. Throughout the stay, what we liked was the repeated checking by the personnel if everything was ok: at reception, by the bar, at breakfast... using the simple free phrases that all the more are forgotten at many hotels. The personnel here was really going the extra mile for you.

For arriving, it is good to use a navigation system. We had reserved a parking space with them for 16€ per day, which I strongly recommend. You drive upfront, from where they take the car and park it for you.

The hotel has a boutique style. The Superior Deluxe room was cosy, had a lovely bed, a small balcony with two chairs, and bath and toilets by Villeroy & Boch. Although it is centrally located, it was a very silent hotel.

The breakfast was excellent, with a great variety of items to choose from, for both those who want a heavier or a lighter breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, salmon, meats, cheeses, fruits, various juices, sweet pastries...

The only two things which we did not like, was that the bathtub did have quite a few dark hairs in it, so before taking a bath, we cleaned ourselves the bathtub off the hair; and when my husband wanted to take a cognac from the minibar, the cognac glass was rather dirty, so he chose another type of glass. These two things indicated some issues though with cleaning at the hotel.

However, overall we liked the place. What we do recommend if you go to Bruges, is to take the boat tour for 7,50€ (which is cheap considering similar boating sightseeing in other European cities), and taking the car out to see the Knokke-Heist area (apparently known as the St. Tropez of Belgium).

From here we continued to Namur and Clervaux, through also the towns and villages of Dinant, Esch-sur-Sure and Vianden, which we can recommend, if you are out on a roadtrip.

Room Tip: Superior Deluxe was spacious enough and had a small balcony with two chairs.
      Location