“Great rooms, great hostel, let down only by the staff”

St Christopher's Inn at the Bauhaus
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed in beautiful Bruges for 2 nights in July 2011. We stayed in a premium room in the reception building. It was great, with a nice bed, good pillows, tv and a small but sufficient bathroom. Facilities are great, with a laundry, bar, restaurant, walking tour, pub crawl and bike hire available. Only let down by the inefficient and arrogant staff, who were too busy yelling, swearing and drinking beer to serve customers properly. Most the female staff were fine, but the men were horrendous. Despite this, we had a lovely stay

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank paddlez0304

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Very good location of the hostel, the room was clean.
The food of the hostel's restaurant was good except fort the breakfast which is really basic.
Bathrooms were ok, even though it could have been cleaner.
In general, it was very good.
This Hostel is in the top 3 of my 1 month trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2011

While the rooms are nothing special, they are adequate for the hostel budget. The associated restuarant is great fo variety, portion size, and selection of Belgian beers. Well worth your business when in Bruges!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in May 2011 in a twin private with shard facilities. Room was clean and tidy with a separate sink and room for two wheelie bag suitcases to open. Bedding was clean fork us, although we did use sleeping bag liners to sleep in. Showers were clean as was the toilet and the water pressure, which is important for girls!, was good. I didn't notice any funny smells in the place but I agree it was noisy, but nothing that couldn't be solved with some earplugs. I didn't find it particularly noisier than other hostels but not quiet either. Mostly doors slamming and it did quieten down after midnight. Location was good when you have to walk in from the ring road, which is good when you have wheelie bags on cobblestones! Free breakfast was average, very solid rolls and warm milk for the cereal wasn't the nicest. Has its own laundry which is £3.50 for a wash and one 20min dry, which I think is good value, especially when you can use free wifi while you wait. Overall I didnt have any issues and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Great hostel! Clean rooms, great bar & resturant! Got a voutcher at check in for 3 free tasters of beer when ordering food in the resturant-which was really nice. Luggage room with lockers. Free wifi. Walking distance to Bruge centre-about 10minutes. Felt really safe and happy here. There is a great laundry which if i remember its 3euros for a wash and 2euros for the dryer-great when backpackers.
The Bad-There was a group of school children from Denmark on the 1st night, got hardly any sleep as there were running about all night, must have thin walls as you can here everything, 2nd night a group of kids from Spain staying, same with the noise-i had 3small steps outside my room and they all loved running and jumping down the steps!Next day i went down for breakfast at 9am and there was hardly anything left,as the spanish kids had an early departure and eat everything!
The light in the ladies shower room was bust and had to shower one night in the dark!

Room Tip: Have a few beers in their bar-you meet some great!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I have been in bruge many times, and i like the bar here, but if you plan to sleep, bring your earplugs (industrial grade), or you will not get any sleep if you are put on the same corridor we stayed. Very noisy until 4 or 5am. and I mean very. I was exausted but still couldnt sleep with noise.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank paddypack
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We stayed here for two nights whilst on a sports tour away with a large group. The group had hired the flats however we had an over spill of two so myself (being the only female in the group) and my boyfriend we given a room in the hostel. I don't really know where to begin with the hostel as as soon as we walked in the room I was gutted not to be in the flats. The lighting was dark and dingy, the en-suit shower room was just beyond disgusting- I did not shower in there and stood outside and reached in to brush my teeth and the beds were uncomfortable. The biggest thing with the hostel however was the noise, I realise it was a hostel but there is no noise proofing what-so-ever, we could hear every footstep going up and down the stairs, had the delight of hearing some bloke trying to sweet talk his way in to the girls room next door and could hear doors banging all night long, all in all I think we managed two hours sleep tops.
For the second night we moved out of the hostel and into the flats staying on the sofa, which was much more comfortable than the beds in the hostel. The flats are nice, they are a bit run down but they are clean, cheep and give you exactly what you want for a budget stay in Bruges, also they have their own kitchens which is nice as a group staying together.
On a positive side the reception staff were very friendly- they did not have any more rooms for us to move in to after the night in the hostel but had no issues with us moving all the bedding into the flats and moved it back the day we left. The breakfast is not huge but it is a nice snack to get you started and the coffee is good.
Would I recommend staying here- for the hostel I would say no, it is horrible, dirty, dark and noisy and I can't say I felt safe. For the flats as a group, I would say yes, they are simple but a good way to keep a group together on a budget and having the kitchen so you can feed yourselves if you are a sports team is really handy. As said a mixed bag but not all bad.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends