“Great little hotel”

Ranked #63 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We had a great stay at Ter Reien. It's a nice location - a bit further away than some of the others, but nice and quiet. We stayed in the canal view room which was awesome.. the ducks floating by in the morning.. and the swans (although one hissed at me!). Later in the day, the boats come by, but you're usually out for the day by the time it happens. Our room was spacious and comfortable and clean. The reception was helpful and friendly and they had great postings on the wall about train times, etc. The breakfast was great - a really good selection of crepes, pastries, yoghurts, meat, cheese, coffee/teas, juice.. really filling and really nice. A great find - I recommend it!

If you walk out of the hotel and walk left, there is a big grocery store as well as quite a few restaurants down that street that are reasonably priced. We particularly liked the tapas restaurant - sol y sombra.

Bruges itself is absolutely incredible. So relaxing, so friendly, so easy to get around. One of our best trips yet.. It's a wonderful city. Amazing chocolate, beautiful, romantic.. and awesome beer. I'm not even a beer drinker and Bruges got me interested in beer. If you have a chance, find De Garre and enjoy their house beer - incredible.

If you get a chance, too, take the boat to Damme and go to Tante Marie - it was the best lunch I have EVER had.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank londongeejay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The hotel is small and clean, and I would describe it as quirky and charming. I recommend booking one of the canal-side rooms; all the rooms are on the small side, but the ones overlooking the canal are airy and light. The breakfast is adequate but not exceptional. However, the hotel is only a short walk to the Burg and the Markt, so I would definitely come back again. Good value for money for a short break.

Room Tip: The rooms are small, and the bathrooms are tiny.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jayne_H_W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We atayed here in December and could not fault the room or the staff. We had the family room which has a view over the canal, which when we were there was frozen over. It was a new experience for my teenagers to be able to throw snowballs on the canal in the morning and still see them there at night. The room was very well appointed and spacious for a family of four. The staff were extremely helpful, happy to recommend places to eat and to help us with taxis. I will certainly return there when I go back to Brugge. When in Brugge the Galler shop just off the main square is heaven for chocolate lovers!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank karamarr
Slough, UK
Reviewed 11 July 2011

A pleasant stay afforded by a peaceful location...only a gentle 10 minute stoll away from the Burg or Markt squares.
We had room 12, which has two good sized windows on the ground floor, directly overlooking the St Anna canal. A little austere, but clean, and the bed was a lot more comfortable than it looked. Th window sills were a great spot for watching the boats pass.
I noticed later that the hotel advertises a (plug-in?) mosquito repellent to borrow and I would recommend taking them up on this, as I did pick up a few bites, being so close to the water.
People have mentioned capsule type bathrooms and this was true of our room. It was just like those on ships and the shower was very small indeed, so a bit uncomfortable, to be honest. Our friends had another room at the other side of the hotel and their bathroom was much better, so it is something to consider when booking perhaps.
Breakfast was self service and continental style. A particularly nice hot chocolate. Plentiful choice and all fresh. Cold mainly but also boiled eggs and pancakes. Breakfast room was light and clean and next to the inner courtyard.
Front desk was friendly and helpful. The man who replenished the breakfast buffet was busy and efficient but could have been a bit more welcoming!
We paid 5 euros for wireless internet access, covering our 2 night stay.
Parking is provided by a public car park a couple of minutes drive away down Meerstraat @ 8.70 euros per 24 hours. The hotel provide a map to how you where to go. During offloading we parked outside the hotel a while and had no hassle from wardens but I don't know how typical that is.
Over the road are a couple of inviting canalside bar/restaurants and many more are within a short distance.
The hotel website is very well made, with clear virtual tours that accurately depict the facilities.
I would have no hesitation in staying here again but I might choose a room with a better bathroom.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Noxley
Seattle
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Stayed for 3 nights with my daughter. Location was great. Not sure what the reviewer was commenting about regarding the "dorm room" look, we didn't experience that at all. Yes, rooms are a bit small, in keeping with most other European hotels, bit the decor has that Flemish feel, It's a good value hotel in a great location in a wonderful city. The staff we encountered were helpful, friendly, and kind. The room was very clean, the shower was small but the bathroom was a a fine size overall. We had a twin room that was quiet, with just enough space for us and our luggage. The use of the internet was 5 Euro for our entire stay, you could use your own computer or theirs. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank EJCsMom
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Just got back from Brugge and stayed here with my husband. The hotel is central so location wise is perfect. Rooms are clean and although some reviews say how small they are ours was actually really spacious with a huge bathroom! Breakfast was ok, nothing to shout about about it was adequate. Staff were helpful and polite and spoke good English. Hotel is very nicely done out and is in a very pleasant area. Would recommend this hotel and I'd stay here again as it's central and clean and a good price , especially for Brugge which is very expensive!!!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Ktlou28
Toronto
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We booked TerReien based on several glowing reviews in Tripadvisor - it was a big disappointment. The rooms are tiny, the walls between the rooms are thin, the bathroom is smaller than that on a cruise ship making showering a challenge. Our room reminded me of a college dorm room, small, devoid of decoration and dimly lit. The location is great, but there is not much of a canal view from the room window since the outer walls of the historic building are almost a meter thick. There is no room safe- a must for travelers. Wi-Fi is €5; breakfast is adequate.

These are things you can live with. However a lack of customer service is another issue. Upon arrival at reception we were greeted not with a friendly face, but rather a 10cm intercom box. We pushed the button and told the voice we were checking in. After a brief wait a man arrived, and very brusquely asked for a passport. We were told to move our car immediately or we would get a ticket. I left my wife with the luggage, and upon entering the maze which is Brugge to park the car, became quite lost. After waiting awhile for me to return my wife decided to move the luggage to the room herself.This is not an easy task at TerReien as you must carry up 2 or 3 small mini-flights of stairs (these could easily be replaced with ramps). This was a struggle for my 60 year old wife yet the 'gentleman' at reception ignored her and her plight and made no offer to help although he clearly saw her struggling. This is poor customer service and is unacceptable.

Brugge is beautiful and amazing. We loved it. It is well worth a visit - but stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MapleLeafPondHoppers

Travellers are raving about these Bruges hotels